Folding bikes - a warning

Comments

• Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    I have never ever heard of a non folding bikes handlebars failing in this way even on the cr4ppest of low rent kit.

So although a "generalisation" I'd say it's a problem common to folding bikes and no others.

A bit like saying motorbikes are more dangerous than cars then getting lambasted by those who thrive on pedantry and smart ar5ing everyone.
  • What exactly actually happened? I don't know how these bikes fold, so as if you're explaining it to a 4-year-old please!

And BJUK's handlebars failed pretty spectacularly quite recently...
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    I'd say it's a problem common to folding bikes

Let me get this right, you are asserting that on the basis of 2 incidents, this is a common problem for folding bikes...

Look I know lots of people struggle with statistics but that's just ridiculous....
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    By the way, can I suggest that nobody gets on a train tonight.

There was that crash at Paddington a few years ago. And that one at Hatfield.

Trains - I wouldn't trust them, personally.
  • Surf-Matt
    Some funny comments on the MTB section about you lot.

I think some of you could learn a lot from actually realising how you come across to people, with your mind bendingly cringeworthy pedantry, your hostile manner and your delusion that some of you are witty.

Utterly beyond any help but do carry on thinking you are all always "right."
  • Awwww does this mean you're not going to tell me what happened?
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Surf-Matt wrote:

I think some of you could learn a lot from actually realising how you come across to people, with your mind bendingly cringeworthy pedantry, your hostile manner and your delusion that some of you are witty.

So you justify one sweeping generalisation with another, offensive one? Who exactly is beyond help here? I for one was not being pedantic.Or hostile. Or even attempting to be witty. I have two folding bikes. I've had no real problem with either of them. Your friends' experiences are deeply unfortunate and I wouldn't trivialise them. But they cannot be taken as evidence of a fundamental problem with any folding bike maker's product.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Surf-Matt
    edited February 2010
    Lost - you (and some others) are different!

He was doing around 4mph (!) up a hill and stomped on the pedals to get up a big hill.The handlebars simply collapsed and he somehow "fell" forwards. His feet stayed where they were, his leg didn't, it snapped the tib and fib and did horrible tendon damage.

I haven't seen the bike and I have no idea about any lawsuits being made but needless to say that a very experienced bike mechanic (he's done my bike several times) and cyclist is now probably going to limp for life due to a massive failure. He's quite a big bloke and probably stronger than many but a bike shouldn't collapse like that.

No I don't know exactly the model, frame number and date of manufacture but maybe it's worth a few commuters checking their handlebars to make sure they don't collapse too. It was AFAIK mechanical failure - the bars snapped and folded (the tubing) however I forgot to get hold of them and subject them to a full material engineering test. Very slack of me.

My mate who had the same happen just hurt himself but not seriously.

I have never heard of this happening to any other type of bike.

Apologies for passing on potentiallh useful information without launching a nationwide survey.
  • Mountainboy2465
    Mountainboy2465 Posts: 121
    edited February 2010
    Surf-Matt wrote:

Started to write a challenge to that one but can't be fussed to be honest.

I reckon one or two commuters on this forum might ride an MTB from time to time, commuting is not bike specific after all.

I would still be interested in reading how the things actually failed, I don't have a folder - just a general interest in most things bike.

(Update)
    So I guess the force on the handlebars would be in an upward direction so I can see how a handlebar stem might fold if not secured properly, or if there was a failure. You can also imagine why that would cause him to fall forward, bit of a shocker really - hope his recovery is better than it seems right now.
  • Surf-Matt wrote:
    I have never ever heard of a non folding bikes handlebars failing in this way even on the cr4ppest of low rent kit.

So although a "generalisation" I'd say it's a problem common to folding bikes and no others.

A bit like saying motorbikes are more dangerous than cars then getting lambasted by those who thrive on pedantry and smart ar5ing everyone.

your full of shit, a quick youtube search fetched up at least 10 videos. only recently a bloke on the cyclechat forum had a set fail whilst his mate was behind him with a head cam. folding bikes are just to likely have bad workmanship / maintenance / metal fatigue as a non folder
    Cotic Soul rider.
  • Surf-Matt
    please.jpg
  • Meh, as a MTBer and commuter, this whole thing is dumb. But Matt, your original post is terrible other than at being a troll. HTH
  • waddlie
    waddlie Posts: 542
    Mickey Eye wrote:
    Meh, as a MTBer and commuter, this whole thing is dumb. But Matt, your original post is terrible other than at being a troll. HTH

+Eleventy-One.

The OP was misguided. This particular forum can be a bit... over-attentive to life's finer details. And some members do prioritise being right over everything else to a rather ridiculous extent.

Time to lighten up, folks...
    Rules are for fools.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Surf-Matt wrote:

I was considering posting in the MTB section asking for advice but now I'm wondering whether I should bother if it is full of people like you. Yet we're the ones who are hostile.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    edited February 2010
    suzyb wrote:
    I was considering posting in the MTB section asking for advice but now I'm wondering whether I should bother if it is full of people like you.

It's not :wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Surf-Matt wrote:
    Lost - you (and some others) are different!

He was doing around 4mph (!) up a hill and stomped on the pedals to get up a big hill.The handlebars simply collapsed and he somehow "fell" forwards. His feet stayed where they were, his leg didn't, it snapped the tib and fib and did horrible tendon damage.

I haven't seen the bike and I have no idea about any lawsuits being made but needless to say that a very experienced bike mechanic (he's done my bike several times) and cyclist is now probably going to limp for life due to a massive failure. He's quite a big bloke and probably stronger than many but a bike shouldn't collapse like that.

No I don't know exactly the model, frame number and date of manufacture but maybe it's worth a few commuters checking their handlebars to make sure they don't collapse too. It was AFAIK mechanical failure - the bars snapped and folded (the tubing) however I forgot to get hold of them and subject them to a full material engineering test. Very slack of me.

My mate who had the same happen just hurt himself but not seriously.

I have never heard of this happening to any other type of bike.

Apologies for passing on potentiallh useful information without launching a nationwide survey.

Blimey, so the tubing itself folded? The bars themselves or the stem thing? I'd presumed it was at the hinge or something... strewth!

Sounds v painful, I hope he can get himself sorted out. There's an excellent foot/ankle doc called Simon Moyes in St John's Wood... Wellington Hospital.
  • Surf-Matt
    Care to expand a little SS?!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Ssssh, I am thinking!

Yep, will go to the pub on my folder!
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    @everyone Strewth. Must be monday...

Matt, that crash sounds nasty. Wouldn't wish that on anyone :(
    I guess it's a salutary lesson that components can, and do, fail catastrophically for a number of reasons. I'm fairly lax at checking over my bikes pre-ride so maybe I'll start...

FWIW I have an MTB and surf board (and, yeah, I was pretty crap at surfing)
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Phonk7
    Phonk7 Posts: 178
    Second big cheese, folding bikes = uber FAIL, can anyone tell me the point in them?
  • Good for taking down the pub apparently. Dunno really. Mate of mine used to take his on the train but I don't think you can even do that easily these days.
  • Phonk7 wrote:
    Second big cheese, folding bikes = uber FAIL, can anyone tell me the point in them?

I'd have a wild guess at their point being that they fold...
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Surf-Matt wrote:

Jesus - so you're tarring an entire forum community with the same brush, because you got a bit of response to using Daily Mail-esqe statistical analysis to write off an entire genre of bikes? FFS :roll:

and as for bitchy conversations in other forums.....the roadies think you are a bit of a kn0bhead as it goes....
    nasahapley wrote:
    CHRISNOIR wrote:
    softlad wrote:

what about that well-known 'surfer' - he was pretty odd...

And him. In fact ignore my earlier post - this place is full of 'em innit? The 'Here's a picture of me surfing' thread was one of the funniest things I've ever read on here. Top respect to the bloke who subsequently posted a picture of Everest to 'prove' his mountaineering prowess.

Would anyone be able to provide a link to that thread? I've had a look back over some of S-M's contributions (and have convinced myself that he's the greatest man in the world), but haven't found that one. I know this makes me a bit of a stalker and probably a bit weird, but it's worth it as they're comedy gold!

here's the picture in question.
    Byronbarrel0001.jpg

I can't surf Matt, before you throw that one in - yawn - but if this is best evidence you can provide of your surfing, forgive us if we don't buy into your "folders are sh1te" hypothesis.

Now run along back to your MTB mates and blub about the nasty commuters AND roadies....
  • Surf-Matt
    edited February 2010
    Thanks for your "attempt" at knocking me down there - that was simply ONE pic of a barrel at Byron which only the wierdos on the roadie section have ever doubted is me in a "tube"

I have countless others where you can see me quite clearly - like my avatar. One of the two in question once lived in St Agnes and clearly never got any good at it so likes to try and mock at every opportunity. A bit like every roadie it would seem.

But if for some reason you yawnsome oddballs need "proof" then see what a lather you can get up over these. Muppets. I cannot BELIEVE that those total oddballs are still at it and clearly you are one of them.

Now run along and report your findings back to those total freaks on the roadie section.

Polzeath3.jpg

Polzeath2.jpg

In every barrel three of these four - but in case proof is needed, there's me clearly visible in one shot:

Byron19990001.jpg

MePorthtowan.jpg

Picture049.jpg

Matt-1.jpg
  • waddlie
    waddlie Posts: 542
    please.jpg
    Rules are for fools.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    wow, they were right - comedy gold....
  • Surf-Matt
    Said the "man" from Sheffield. Known for it's epic surf.

Now try and smart ar5e someone about something you might know something about - try arguing over lycra pants or something.
  • cue assos clothing.... whats all that about? is it any good or not?!
This discussion has been closed.