Folding bikes - a warning

Surf-Matt
Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
edited February 2010 in Commuting chat
A quick warning - a mate has one of these and pulled the handlebars off when pedalling hard.

Another guy I know did the same, the bars folded, he fell forwards and snapped his tibia and fibia (lower leg) and has utterly stuffed his lower leg ligaments. I reckon he could actually be crippled for life.

Both were decent makes, both were well maintained.

Basically they don't seem to be able to take anything more than light pootling - any hard pressure that a half decent cyclist can exert kills them.

Comments

• Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    You could help by telling us exactly which folding bikes they are, rather than tarring them all with the same brush...

Bit like saying "All bikes are dangerous, my mate's one broke".
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Any you haven't mentioned if you were going surfing or not when they broke.
  • Surf-Matt
    One was a Dahon (a Dawes I think), the other I'm not 100% sure but I think it was also a Dahon.

Thanks for the response but I'd say shows that folding bikes are about as robust as a quail shell.
  • Surf-Matt
    will3 wrote:

Sorry, I only understand English. Not some half ar5ed attempt at it.
  • will3
    edited February 2010
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    will3 wrote:

Sorry, I only understand English. Not some half ar5ed attempt at it.

Surf-Matt wrote:

Thanks for the response but I'd say shows that folding bikes are about as robust as a quail shell.

This this a fully arsed attempt at engish then? ("Arsed" isn't spelt with a 5 in the middle for a start)
  • Surf-Matt
    Touche!

Why the surfing reference? Most odd.
  • Airnimal's seem to always get a good write up and appear strong enough for touring from their marketing...
    Vespa GTS 300 most days... Trek 7.7FX the rest
  • Surf-Matt
    I'm sure many are up to the job but I wouldn't really expect such a catastrophic failure to happen twice to two different people.

Pretty dangerous.
  • Aidy
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    One was a Dahon (a Dawes I think), the other I'm not 100% sure but I think it was also a Dahon.

That only indicates that folding bikes of that particular design have flaws. It's hardly a conclusive study.
  • will3
    On a more serious note: no, of course a bike with extra hinges/ joints won't be quite as stiff/strong as one without (or at least not without a big weight penalty), but are you sure they'd unfolded the bike properly?
  • Surf-Matt
    edited February 2010
    Sorry, did I use the title "Folding bikes will fail - here's the proof?"

Never mind, you lot are plain odd. Are you mostly roadies by any chance? A very strange breed.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I've had no probs with my brompton and I don't pootle on it

Edit: Oh yeah all generalisations are false
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • will3
    I know of a guy who time trials on his.
  • Aidy
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    Sorry, did I use the title "Folding bikes will fail - here's the proof?"

Never mind, you lot are plain odd. Are you mostly roadies by any chance? A very strange breed.

No, but you did say:
    Basically [folding bikes] don't seem to be able to take anything more than light pootling - any hard pressure that a half decent cyclist can exert kills them.

Which is a pretty broad statement. I hate it when people spread FUD with no kind of factual basis.
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    if both your mates were riding the same make bike (especially if with the same design H-bar clamp setup) and they both failed resulting in a serious injury to one of them then I suggest they contact the bike manufacturer and if they don't get satisfaction, a lawyer. Sounds like a recall maybe in order, it's certainly not true that all folding bikes are rubbish, but if your mates have exposed a weak design point in one, then they should do something about it for the good not only of themselves but of all others who use these bikes.

this is all ofc assuming they weren't doing something daft :wink:
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • Surf-Matt
    No problem.

Wish I hadn't mentioned it - I do apologise.

Off to polish my bikes....
  • not a roadie but likely still suspect count as odd - surf reference surely visible given both your name and avatar...
    I have a friend who actually owns 4 foldies of various breeds and he's fast and hammers on them with no issues so far at least.
    We merely want more details of make etc so if we happened to have same models we could check our own...

That is all. This thread may require some off topicing later.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    edited February 2010
    Surf-Matt wrote:

I've done well over 20K on my Birdy of hard riding, whizing down & pulling myself up the side of the Pennines on it primarily and not a problem at all. I'm not a roadie & I don't pootle. I can get home in the same time my wife drives it.

With such accurate, well researched and even handed posting, have you considered a job on the Daily Mail or as James Martin's stunt double. :roll:
  • will3
    Ah the surfing thing.............it's a rather oblique reference to your threads that start like this one:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopi ... t=blinding

there are two things I don't understand about the mention of surfing in relation to being blinded by the cyclist:
    1) WTF does it matter where you were going when you got blinded?
    2) Why don't you just get the internet at home?

[/OT]
  • Surf-Matt
    The usuals come out to play.

A shame.

Sorry you can't surf Will. Your problem not mine though.

Bye.
  • Surf-Matt wrote:

Off to polish my bikes....

you will be sure and post that they're completely useless and that bikes as we know them are all rubbish if you get a chain come off won't you.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I can see what Matt was trying to do, but delivered it like a car crash rather than a thought out letter... hence the replies
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Your friends' experiences are unfortunate, but they hardly constitute a representative sample. I've had no such problems with my Dahons (both second-hand and well-used even before I got them). One of the hinges needed replacing on the Cadenza, frame hinge on the Jetstream also needed replacing (neither failed during a ride, but then they don't get folded much). Everything else is down to normal wear and tear. The Cadenza's my regular commuter, but I do the odd longer run on it as well (including London-Bognor-Pompey on one occasion), the Jetstream was weekend bike of choice before I got the Viner- lapped the IOW on it, twice, London-Brighton twice, London to Whitstable, and two Smithfield Nocturne folding bike races (OMG, accident waiting to happen there!). People do mega tours on Bromptons, Dahon Speed TRs, etc...such generalisations do your argument no favours.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • missmarple
    missmarple Posts: 1,980
    rofl.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    I would expect the most dangerous thing about folding bikes.....is the person that fold/unfolds them....

Easy to imagine a commuter in a hurry forgetting to do up a qr properly....even although the designs i have seen fold against the direction of the hinge (if you know what i mean...)

course...that kind of accident can't be attributed to the manufacturer...
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Folding bikes = FAIL (see what I did there folks - god, I'm awesome) :D
  • Dazzza
    Dazzza Posts: 2,364
    Before you all go matt bashing the one about the folding handlebars is 100% true, and he was doling just 4mph when it happened, scary stuff i doubt all those bikes are weak though just probably some sort of manufacturing defect id imagine.

He's worked for years in my lbs so might know a thing or two about bikes. ;):lol:
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X
  • Surf-Matt
    And he's a top bloke. Really has seriously hurt himself - while I was in the shop something went "click" and he looked like he was in total agony - it happened on October 1st last year!!
  • Aidy
    Dazzza wrote:
    Before you all go matt bashing the one about the folding handlebars is 100% true, and he was doling just 4mph when it happened, scary stuff i doubt all those bikes are weak though just probably some sort of manufacturing defect id imagine.

He's worked for years in my lbs so might know a thing or two about bikes. ;):lol:

We didn't have issues with the claims that one or two folding bikes had caused a mishaps.
    Using this as a basis to assert that all folding bikes are dangerous is a bit questionable, though.
  • Dazzza
    Dazzza Posts: 2,364
    True though i personally would never trust one, that folding bit would always have me worried.
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X
This discussion has been closed.