oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    sampras38 wrote:
    sampras38 wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:
    stokepa31 wrote:
    about three hours. i like to stay well hydrated :D

Blimey!!

That you do!

In the current climate I'll take out two 750ml bottles, one with energy drink, the other with squash, and that does me bob on for 5 hours!

Nap, how hard are you riding on those 5 hours as 2 bottles doesn't seem quite enough to me. If you can do it, then more power to you, but that's really not a lot of fluid in 5 hours. Do you have much fluid before leaving the house?

When you get back after the ride, how soon do you need to pee? A good indication is if you pee after the first say, 20 mins, you''re probably hydrated enough, but if it's much longer you're most likely de-hydrated.

And apologies if I sound like I'm preaching...;-)
    I am managing on one currently in this weather and sometimes even have some left in the bottle. If it does get a bot warmer or we ride a bit harder I just top it up in the cafe stop.
    From about may on, I use different bike with two 500ml bottles.

You do realise that you lose fluids through your breathing too, so it's just as important to hydrate properly in the winter?
    I hydrate properly in winter and summer. I just think some people happen to drink too much on some rides and some probably need a bit more than others
  • oldwelshman
    Bhima wrote:
    there is a limit to what you can absorb on the bike, and the number range escapes me for the time being.

0.8L - 1.3L per hour depending on the drink, 1.3 being a "proper" sports drink and 0.8 being pure H20.

You lose 1.5L - 3L an hour though. :!:

If this is the case then how come I do not weigh 7.5kg lighter after a 5 hour ride?
    Or is sweat lighter than water? :D
  • Bhima wrote:
    there is a limit to what you can absorb on the bike, and the number range escapes me for the time being.

0.8L - 1.3L per hour depending on the drink, 1.3 being a "proper" sports drink and 0.8 being pure H20.

If this is the case then how come I do not weigh 7.5kg lighter after a 5 hour ride?

do you not eat?

how do expect to sweat out 7.5kg if you only drink 1 bottle? its all relative.
  • Usually 2% dehydration will reduce your performance by around 10% as a rule of thumb.

please define this 'performance'.

power output?

efficiency?

energy levels?
  • oldwelshman
    Bhima wrote:

do you not eat?

how do expect to sweat out 7.5kg if you only drink 1 bottle? its all relative.
    I don't expect to sweat out 7.5kg, and I do not eat on a 40 to 50 mile ride.
    I was merely responding to Bhima's sweeping statement that you loose 1.5l to 3l per hour, in which if true, I would expect my weight to be minimum 7.5kg less after 5 hours?

It is of course dependent on the intensity of the ride and the temperature.
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    jibberjim wrote:
    The only surefire way to monitor hydration is by naked weighing of yourself.

How do you account for the calories you burnt, both fat and glycogen, and the associated reduce water needs because of the water that was released from its associated storage with the glycogen?

Even with "naked weighing" surely you'd also need to know not only the calories expended, but the mix in terms of fat and glycogen that it came from.

Of course even if you absolutely fully deplete your glycogen stores, you're only talking about maybe 750g at most for an average man, but that's still a large discrepency in terms of water lost.

Drinking to thirst is probably better for all but a small minority of people.
    thirst is no use. its very poor. you can become seriously dehydrated and not be too thirsty, as pokerface found out.