Saddle Too Narrow???

steve23
steve23 Posts: 2,202
i currently use a selle italia flite saddle. now it doesnt make my bits go numb, and it hasnt given me any saddle sores, but it doesnt seem to be that comfy!

ive used it for about 4 or 5 months, and its ok, but i get sore skin on the bit between my - ahem - balls and bum! right at the top of the join to my leg.

ive never had discomfort here before, but it seems all my weight is on that bit of my bum!

could this be because the saddle is too narrow for my needs?

ive tried quite a few -
Spesh Toupe/Alias
selle italia max flite
selle san marco regal
fizik aliante/airone

they all caused me saddle sores!

any ideas?

cheers
_______________________________________________________________________________________
If You Can't Cut It With The Big Dogs, Then Don't Pi$$ Up The Tall Trees!

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Have you tried using chamois cream? Saddle shape will cause numb bum or pain, but saddle sores will be caused by friction.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • steve23
    yep, use cream regular!

im asking as i think the saddle may be too narrow, to the weight it shifted from the soft bits to my bum bones? that right?
    _______________________________________________________________________________________
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    Sounds like sit bone measurement time :wink: , perhaps you have friend who could help.

Then see how the measurement measures up to the seat dimensions. If o.k. then, like me, you may have to suffer in silence or at least put some savlon or similar on the affected area this usually works overnight.

If not then at least you have a starting point for your next saddle - Good luck
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    How about saddle angle... Is your saddle level?
    If it pointsdown slightly, it may throw you forward a bit, so your weight would move from seat bones to pereneum area (no man's land!)...
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • steve23
    saddle is spot on level. have tried it slightly up/down and no joy.

the best saddle i had was a spesh alias, the 2007 model. that broke, and i bought an 2009 alias and it was awful! rock hard and gave me sores no end!
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Have a look at the BG Phenom. Basically a toupe with a little more padding...
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!