What lesson have you learned the hard way?

Comments

• Never try showing off to your kids how fit you are at 44, by racing your 2 year old labradoodle. Now that I have had my humerus and rotator cuff rebuilt, I should be back on my bike in about six months time.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    If you suspect on thursday that you might have broken your ribs again, don't go trailbuilding on saturday followed by going riding then leaping elegantly over your handlebars into a surprisingly un-soft snowdrift. You will regret it on sunday.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    Poor prir preparation leads to wee-wee poor performance :lol:

Surely you mean..

"Prior Planning and Preparation Prevents P1ss Poor Performance"

7P's innit :wink:
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • cee
    wolftone wrote:
    Never try showing off to your kids how fit you are at 44, by racing your 2 year old labradoodle. Now that I have had my humerus and rotator cuff rebuilt, I should be back on my bike in about six months time.

that doesn;t sound very amusing at all. :cry:
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    cee wrote:

It really doesn't, some of us can perform poorly no matter how well we prepared :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • cee wrote:

Surely you mean..

a few of the p's have been edited by admin or a mod...
    4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul.
  • RichMTB
    RichMTB Posts: 599
    The unzipped chest pocket of your cycling jacket is NOT a good place to jeep your car keys!
    Step in to my hut! - Stumpy Jumpy Pacey
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    it's difficult to trackstand on an upwards slope if your chain has just fallen off without you noticing
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • dunnnooo
    dunnnooo Posts: 900
    Dirt does not taste nice. At all. Tasting said dirt at different speeds doesn't change it. Nor does doing so from different heights. And whilst different types of dirt taste different, none of them taste nice.

I am not Armstrong, Contador nor any other professional. Despite best intentions, I cannot average 25mph for a whole day, especially not on a MTB.

Don't follow someone if you don't know how good they are. Especially not over jumps at 25mph.

The other half does not like coming second to bikes.
    I'd give my right hand to be ambi-dextrous
  • cee
    cee wrote:

Surely you mean..

a few of the p's have been edited by admin or a mod...

i am still only counting 6 p's in that version...and as you know...more is better... :D

@Northwind...absolutely...I have perfromed poorly even after the most arduous of preperation

H.G. Wells.
  • spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    If you don't feel great and have been taking amox for a chest infection the previous 7 days, do not go out on your bike to 'try and clear the gunk'. Did this last week and ended up collapsing at home and another sunday morning trip to the emergency doctors. I now have a two week ban on going out.

Never drink 2 bottle of red wine when your mates house has white carpet, white sofas, in fact is completely white.

Your children will always learn faster than you. I have a 5 year old who can understand Sudoku or whatever it's called, when all it does is give me a headache.

And you will always think about old girlfriends even when you're much older. Especially if they now look like a dark haired Drew Barrymore.
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • rocks hurt and will always win a battle of who's the hardest
    trees will not get out your way when cycling towards them even if you go faster and shout
    Wheels should be below you not above you when going down steep gradients fast

I like to think of these three rules as the holy trinity of MTBing
    Enough bikes to open a bike shop but always room for one more...
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Braking hard on a steep slippery muddy slope covered in dead leaves when heading towards a tree really isn't going to do much. Neither is quickly trying to steer out of it... :roll:
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    if you can set fire to a shot of sambuca in your mouth, keep it quiet cos you will regret those twenty shots your mates bought you so you could show other people in the morning

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • Another one:

It hurts more when you look at it.

lesson: DONT look at the injury, get someone else to assess whether it's A&E or the pub.
  • The innocent looking puddle you are about to cycle through at speed is infact a 20 cm deep pothole.

Ouch. Headset in the goolies. :shock: :oops:
    2015 Nukeproof Mega TR 275 in raw
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    Don't suggest on this website that people oil their brakes.

Karma hits and your fork lower gets a crack and pumps oil into your front brake....

crap crap crap./

Anyone want to buy so barley used White Brothers forks?
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • The innocent looking puddle you are about to cycle through at speed is infact a 20 cm deep pothole.

HA Done that one but nearly ripped my **** off (I'm a girl.. guess the word)
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Never eat yellow snow...
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    cavegiant wrote:
    Don't suggest on this website that people oil their brakes.

Karma hits and your fork lower gets a crack and pumps oil into your front brake....

crap crap crap./

Anyone want to buy so barley used White Brothers forks?
    :lol: that's pretty funny
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • omaha
    omaha Posts: 120
    of course the boardwalk is very slippy! the woods green and it been raining, idiot...... :lol:
    a bike with round rubbery things
    another bike with springy bits on it
    another bike with too few gears
  • bigmart wrote:
    fitted chain wrong way in rear mech (XT), put it wrong side of the tab on the cage, still it did 20miles wearing away the tab, rear mech wend bang on start of next ride

Whoops!!!!
  • Not many chains these days can be split & re-joined the usual way.
    KMC are ace but you HAVE to use the power link. SRAM are the same but they don't break quite as quick (maybe after 2 hours instead of 2 mins!). Shimano need the special pins in my experience although many say not. Nothing stopping you joining a Shimano with a powerlink though.

Going back to the original post, after years of never snapping a chain, I broke a SRAM 1st time out & ended up fixing it twice before realising the powerlink is supplied for a reason! At the time I'd read in more than 1 mag that you could join it with a chain tool & keep the powerlink as a spare... Always used KMC since, as they seem the strongest & cheapest.
  • My cross country bike isn't built for DH!

I am not built for DH!

Wheel builds can be expensive!

I can fly but am sh1te @ landing!
  • cee
    The innocent looking puddle you are about to cycle through at speed is infact a 20 cm deep pothole.

HA Done that one but nearly ripped my **** off (I'm a girl.. guess the word)

basket? :wink:

pinkBikeWithBasket.gif

H.G. Wells.
  • cee
    Another one:

It hurts more when you look at it.

lesson: DONT look at the injury, get someone else to assess whether it's A&E or the pub.

+1 see my sig

H.G. Wells.
  • Even when wearing full hi-viz, 3 lights on the front of your bike, going along a cycle lane next to a line of stationary traffic you can still wake up in an ambulance because 'a driver didn't see you'
    What wheels...? Wheelsmith.co.uk!
  • lancj1
    lancj1 Posts: 38
    a long time ago, 1981, a new Raleigh Racer, 12 speed, black and sexy..

On way to work, down hill, carrier bag with uniform over handlebars.

Bag in wheel at speed, over handlebars, broken elbow, specs smashed when head hit kerb, 64 stitches around left eye and cheek.

Two month off sick. Bike stolen from back of shop that took it in.....

A good days work with permanant scars...
    Btwin Triban 3
    Giant Boulder '08
    Raleigh Jackal MTB '95 - Gas Pipe Commuter
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    Ice is slippy

Flying isn't bad

Hitting a tree hurts, a lot.

One from my younger days, it is really not easy to steer a bike using your hands on the wrong handlebars.
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike
  • Aldo001
    Aldo001 Posts: 251
    Steve_F wrote:
    One from my younger days, it is really not easy to steer a bike using your hands on the wrong handlebars.

Very true. I tried this once when I was wee... Nigh on faceplant into the road :lol: