finger pointing in qatar (spoiler)

2»

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,861
    teagar wrote:
    Cervelo may have been placed a minute down but I don't see why that means they shouldn't chase a break if it is in there interests to do so. Is that not cutting off your nose spite your face?

i thought it was more: why chase down someone for the GC only to tow people who are a minute ahead of us as well?

in the end they split the peloton with some pretty furious angry racing thou....

quickstep kept there composure and profited..
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Jez mon wrote:

Finally, Sky are by no means guaranteed a place at le Tour, impressing ASO by defending the jersey would have been money in the bank!!

yeah i was thinking this

OTOH

devils advocate,,,,

on reflection I think sky would have found it hard to defend if they had controlled the race as they would have passed the time bonuses to rival sprinters seeing as EBH looked to be out of the top 3 each day

how far were quickstep behind after the TTT? 20 secs...2 wins for boonen puts him equal on GC I think

Haussler would have been hard to control (sans the 1 min penalty i suppose)

as for Hammond...your right

sky ruined the race for themselves no one else...

Good point. Still a number of days in the yellow is better than just one
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • mididoctors
    Jez mon wrote:

don't get me wrong I think Sky had exactly what you outline as their goal...

just couldn't deliver on what is in the final analysis a pretty small and relatively uncontested race.

dropped the ball.... if they wanted an early season win this is up there on the list of do-ables

they aint going to win pari nice or Med-Tir are they?

classics... hmmmmm

what have they got themselves lined up for?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    afx237vi wrote:
    Kléber wrote:
    Don't read too much into this either, it's possible Hammond said a lot of other things but we are just picking up on the one controversial bit. Roger is a very unassuming and easy going guy, he's the exact opposite of a sheet-stirrer.

He doesn't even have a Twitter account for one thing.

Is it only him and me that don't then?
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Jez mon wrote:

don't get me wrong I think Sky had exactly what you outline as their goal...

just couldn't deliver on what is in the final analysis a pretty small and relatively uncontested race.

dropped the ball.... if they wanted an early season win this is up there on the list of do-ables

they aint going to win pari nice or Med-Tir are they?

classics... hmmmmm

what have they got themselves lined up for?

They''ve got the first tour of Oman coming up, which should be relatively uncontested. I'm guessing Flecha will do something in the Classics and Wiggo will have a reasonable ride in Paris Nice. But yea, this was a lost opportunity.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • Judging by some of the comments you guys on here are making you seem to think Skys place at the Tour is in the balance. Maybe they don't think it is :wink:
  • Same thing happens to HTC as well, even when they are not defending a yellow jersey the other sprinters teams don't want to help them just to have Cav tie it up. I guess if they all felt they had equal chance of winning it then they would put in a collaborative effort to set up the sprint.

Taking Hammond's point of view he could also point to the 1 min deficit as ruining the race. They obviously felt that they could come up with the goods here and being given the deficit like someone else said they weren't in the frame of mind of pulling sky with them to close the gap only for them to still be 1 min behind.

Think stage 2 (and I am a sky fan) will be seen as a very bad day for the team, one I expect they won't want to emulate again. All over the place.
  • mididoctors
    Judging by some of the comments you guys on here are making you seem to think Skys place at the Tour is in the balance. Maybe they don't think it is :wink:

the murdoch factor would be seen as a boost to ASO i guess..or not?
  • ok. for the record. i dont think team sky will win a classic, and i dont think wiiggins will finnish the tour as high on gc as last time. last time round he went as deep as he could, cant do it again. and the guys who beat him last year will be stronger, lance included. wont know the answer yet, but give reasons for or against. please.
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    malcom x wrote:
    ok. for the record. i dont think team sky will win a classic, and i dont think wiiggins will finnish the tour as high on gc as last time. last time round he went as deep as he could, cant do it again. and the guys who beat him last year will be stronger, lance included. wont know the answer yet, but give reasons for or against. please.

So the guys who beat him last year will be stronger? How do you know this?

If everyone else will be stronger, is it safe to assume that Wiggins will also be stronger? if not, why not?
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Just supposing..........

no-one like Sky (allegedly)

no-one wants to work with HTC in towing Cav to yet another win (allegedly)

What's the betting that these two chum up together like two geeks in the playground no-one wants to play with, and they work the Tour together (assuming Sky get in, that is.)

On second thoughts, Sky WILL get an invite in July, 'cos they're interesting and generate a lot of press. Even if a lot of it is negative.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Tusher wrote:
    Just supposing..........

no-one like Sky (allegedly)

no-one wants to work with HTC in towing Cav to yet another win (allegedly)

Cuddly Bob set the lawyers on Dave B last year. I don't think there's much love lost.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Greg Henderson is adding his tuppence worth now:

http://twitter.com/Greghenderson1/status/9247331626

"Feel sorry for Edvald BH and the rest of the TeamSky boys in Oman. Fuel for the fire though. What goes around comes around."

This is starting to bubble up nicely!
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Greg Henderson is adding his tuppence worth now:

"Feel sorry for Edvald BH and the rest of the TeamSky boys in Oman. Fuel for the fire though. What goes around comes around."

Team Sky rider sympathises with Team Sky team-mate shocker!
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Sky are the brash new kids on the block. The other tuff lads are going to try and rough em up a bit to show them who's boss. It'll settle down eventually.

Meanwhile we can all hone our tabloid hack skills by filling every post with hyperbole, and reading as much as possible into every little detail.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    Why didn't EBH just let it go so late in the stage - thought the Skysuperbus had on board laundry (wasn't that a big reason for Wiggins signing? :wink: )

Wonder what the mood lighting choice is tonight? Piss poor purple perhaps?
  • afx237vi wrote:
    Greg Henderson is adding his tuppence worth now:

Team Sky rider sympathises with Team Sky team-mate shocker!

Not that bit :roll:

"Fuel for the fire though. What goes around comes around."
  • Basically British people like to shoot down other British people. They don't like anyone else to have success. They are vengeful and when someone's on a winning streak - they'll take the first opportunity to shoot them down when they see a mis-step. It comes from the class system, it comes from Cowell's shows, it comes from Humphries on Radio 4, it comes from PMQs, it comes from Wales vs England vs Scotland, I see it at work daily etc etc. Anyone's success is my failure so I begrudge them of it. This is true in cycling and politics especially. The British press is trying to rubbish the Vancouver Olympics right now because they know that 2012 will be a sheit show.

Hammond would sooner say something about a British squad than he would about Vacansoliel or Euskatel because he feels he has the right to ciritcize them as culturally he feels he "knows" how they work and knows then they're breaking a code they know is proper and correct.

It's also b/c Haussler has been shut out by everyone over the first couple of races.

Call it sour grapes.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    ^ I like how you take one rather insignificant incident in a bike race in Oman and use it to make an enormous sweeping generalization about an entire country. You should have a word with BikingBernie about that.
  • eh
    eh Posts: 4,854
    And no french team has ever failed to work in a break with another french team, or heaven forbid chased them down?! Oh yeah they are well know for it DOH :roll:
  • afx237vi wrote:
    ^ I like how you take one rather insignificant incident in a bike race in Oman and use it to make an enormous sweeping generalization about an entire country. You should have a word with BikingBernie about that.

he has a point though - we love to have a go at our own
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,567
    Basically British people like to shoot down other British people. They don't like anyone else to have success. They are vengeful and when someone's on a winning streak - they'll take the first opportunity to shoot them down when they see a mis-step. It comes from the class system, it comes from Cowell's shows, it comes from Humphries on Radio 4, it comes from PMQs, it comes from Wales vs England vs Scotland, I see it at work daily etc etc. Anyone's success is my failure so I begrudge them of it. This is true in cycling and politics especially. The British press is trying to rubbish the Vancouver Olympics right now because they know that 2012 will be a sheit show.

Hammond would sooner say something about a British squad than he would about Vacansoliel or Euskatel because he feels he has the right to ciritcize them as culturally he feels he "knows" how they work and knows then they're breaking a code they know is proper and correct.

It's also b/c Haussler has been shut out by everyone over the first couple of races.

Call it sour grapes.

WTF? Are nominations coming up for ridiculous post of the year or something?