Teeth Cleaning

Breathless Commuter Man
edited February 2010 in Commuting chat
Stick with me; this is about bike commuting.

When I get to work I shower/shave/do hair and more importantly brush my teeth. My work colleagues have just become aware that I don't brush my teeth before I leave and the views about this are completely polarised. Some say its fine to leave the house without brushing teeth knowing that you are going to do it later, others think this is the worst hygiene crime imaginable.

What does everyone else do? Should I be brushing before I leave? Am I a bad person? :evil:
FCN 8

2009 Boardman Hybrid Pro

Comments

• Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Tell them to mind their own business. It's only an issue if you going to kiss someone and 'morning breath' is a problem :)
  • Very much a personal thing, but I always brush my teeth immediately after I get out of bed.

I'd be in the 'Oh my god ewwwwwww' camp...

You should do a poll! :D
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    interesting.

my wife always brushes first thing (because she hates that early morning cotton wool mouth feeling) - before brekkie/coffee, whereas I brush my teeth after the mornings consumption - if eating at home.

If breakfasting after commuting, I would brush teeth before leaving home (don't have a spare TB at work, and wouldn't want to do the bathroom ritual twice - shower at work -eat - go back to changing rooms to brush teeth.

I prefer brushing after eating, as this makes sense from a tooth decay pov, but also need to be cogniscent of breathing on others with stale breath....

In essence, you are brushing before inflicting any halitosis on others, so can't see how they can complain.....
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    Don't see what's wrong with that. You're brushing your teeth after all.
  • I use mouthwash pretty much immediately after getting up but brush my teeth in the shower at work.
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    I tend to brush at some point in the morning - not often I have any breakfast at all, so that's not really an issue.

Boyfriend brushes before bed, then not in the morning. To begin with I found that a bit odd - but occasionally I've scraped one of my back teeth with my fingernail in the evening (maybe trying to dislodge some food, whatever) and my God, that stuff coating my teeth smells rank.

So when staying over I sometimes do the evening brush too. I still do mine in the morning though... We're moving together soon, which might mean I do morning and evening forevermore...
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • PBo wrote:
    I prefer brushing after eating, as this makes sense from a tooth decay pov, but also need to be cogniscent of breathing on others with stale breath....

Before or after doesn't make much difference.

(Interestingly (and iirc), the most important factor in brushing teeth is the mechanical movement of bacteria away from their compatriots - they can't produce decaying chemicals in any significant amount when out of the mini-colony they have built during the night.)
  • sarajoy wrote:
    I tend to brush at some point in the morning - not often I have any breakfast at all, so that's not really an issue.

Boyfriend brushes before bed, then not in the morning. To begin with I found that a bit odd - but occasionally I've scraped one of my back teeth with my fingernail in the evening (maybe trying to dislodge some food, whatever) and my God, that stuff coating my teeth smells rank.

So when staying over I sometimes do the evening brush too. I still do mine in the morning though... We're moving together soon, which might mean I do morning and evening forevermore...

So you don't normally brush morning and night?
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I've never seen the appeal in brushing straight out of bed, isn't the morning coffee/juice/toast/cereal/energy bar/last nights kebab going to taste just plain wrong?
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    If i'm at home and expecting to be working outside (i.e. in garden) and wearing 'outdoor' work-type clothes etc (and drinking copious teas), I won't bother with hygiene until I'm finished, then I come in a bath/shave/brush teeth and put clean clothes on.

Probbaly makes me gross, but I'm on my own with my breath so WTF!

:lol:
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    mickbrown wrote:
    sarajoy wrote:

+1! Isn't it the law?!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • PBo
    mickbrown wrote:
    sarajoy wrote:

OMG Sarah - quick - you need a diversionary tactic to avoid a lambasting on your dental hygiene habits.....let's change the subject....eeeerrrrr I know!

" so who goes comman........"? :wink:
  • rally200
    rally200 Posts: 646
    iPete wrote:
    I've never seen the appeal in brushing straight out of bed, isn't the morning coffee/juice/toast/cereal/energy bar/last nights kebab going to taste just plain wrong?

too right OJ after toothpaste is nasty, and except for the odd occasion when you crash out drunk after a bit too much port and stilton/ lager annd kebab, you shouldn't be waking up to a manky mouth anyhow
  • sarajoy
    bails87 wrote:
    mickbrown wrote:

+1! Isn't it the law?!
    It appears not necessarily..!
  • Each to their own, but if you move in with your boyfriend then between you, you'll have morning and nights covered.
  • PBo
    mickbrown wrote:
    Each to their own, but if you move in with your boyfriend then between you, you'll have morning and nights covered.

but this might restrict tonsil hockey, as at any one time, one of you is "unclean"??? :)
  • sarajoy
    PBo wrote:
    mickbrown wrote:
    Each to their own, but if you move in with your boyfriend then between you, you'll have morning and nights covered.
    but this might restrict tonsil hockey, as at any one time, one of you is "unclean"??? :)
    Indeed, I can foresee our patterns being a little shaken up.. UNCLEEAAANNN!
  • Brushing before breakfast is the clinically approved method - if done correctly, it removes the bacteria before they have a chance to feast on your food. Sure it makes breakfast taste funny, but it's a small price to pay.

To the OP - I'd tell your co-workers to mind their own business (unless you have to kiss them all first thing in the morning).
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    I only brush my teeth at night. I drink fizzy juice and read somewhere you shouldn't drink acidic juice after brushing as the brushing leaves the teeth more susceptible to the acid. So I brush just before I go to bed when I wont be drinking anything.

I actually went for many years without brushing my teeth at all. Seriously regret it now though. Don't think I have a tooth left without a filling :(
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    I visit the oral hygenist every 3 months, as it is included in my dental insurance plan....

She recommends brushing before eating, as soon as you can after getting up...

something about brushing after eating being worse for the enamel......

I also try to remember to floss after most brushings.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • I also don't often brush my teeth in the evenings, sometimes I go through phases of it.

I go to the dentist/hygienist only when something's up, and apart from a lot of orthodontic work, have no fillings and am always told my teeth etc are in a really good condition.

Interesting about what the oral hygienist says there, cee, I just can't bear the sleep-mouth!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,373
    Brushing the teeth is part of the waking up routine.

When I've time I brush again when I arrive at work - to freshen up.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Brush before bed at night, and in the mornings after the shower (brushing teeth in the shower is just wrong!).
    Also drink lots of green tea during the day which kind of acts as a natural mouthwash apparently.
  • My ghast is still truly flabbered that people only brush once a day.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    cee
    I'm sure it's the acids in food soften the enamel, and then scrubbing with the brush can rub it away.

Acidic OJ would be particularly bad. But toothpaste and then OJ tastes awful, so I clean my teeth after breakfast.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    bails87 wrote:
    cee
    I'm sure it's the acids in food soften the enamel, and then scrubbing with the brush can rub it away.

that sounds about like what she said...
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    You are supposed to leave it at least an hour after anything acidic or carbonated drinks before brushing as this will as stated remove enamel before it has chance to harden again. That's about the only rule I have ever heard except for 'before and after bed'
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Kiblams wrote:
    You are supposed to leave it at least an hour after anything acidic or carbonated drinks before brushing as this will as stated remove enamel before it has chance to harden again. That's about the only rule I have ever heard except for 'before and after bed'
    So I've been doing it the wrong way round :oops:
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    In the morning, I brush pretty much immediately after I get up. I don't like having a stale, claggy mouth, which is what I seem to wake up to. Brushing makes it all feel fresher.

I don't find the minty taste has any ill effects on food or coffee; I just don't drink or eat immediately after brusing, either (and really, even when I do, it's only the first mouthful or so that tastes odd).
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Does everyone use electric tothbrushes? They have made a big difference for me, particularly beneficial for the gums. Last thing at night and after breakfast is my routine :)
    The older I get the faster I was