Hope Pro II Hubs: Cassette Compatability and Skewers

2»

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Really though? How much of an issue is it? I've never ever seen it, nor do I know anyone it's happened to, even anecdotally. Why don't we ride steel rods instead of carbon handle bars, they can break you know.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I've seen it a lot (or ones that needed hammering off as were extremely badly chewed). Obviously more than you. And it is clearly an issue to some riders. So as I said, something to be wary of. Or maybe all my friends are just fat...
  • njee20
    Not just going with friends, but not seen it in 12 years working in a bike shop either. Not even close frankly! Which sprockets do it? Small, or large?

Can't find any photographic evidence on Google either. Not denying it happens, but it's far from common IME. A screwdriver can help if its really stuck, or 2 chain whips, but I've had that with loose sprockets on Dura Ace cassettes, at which point it's an irrelevance what cassette you use unless its an XG999 or XX, so if its as common as you say that the sprocket cuts right through the splines I assume you'd never use or recommend alu freehub bodies?
  • supersonic
    Large through to small, hence why a carrier helps.

As I have said twice before, it is something to be wary off, especially if you are a heavy rider - in which case I would not recommend a carrierless cassette on an alu body, and if you really mash the gears and weigh a lot, not an alu body at all. For many they work fine, I never said otherwise. But 'any cassette will be fine' is not the case I find (depending, again, on the rider)

I do not use any alu freehub bodies at the minute.
  • njee20
    I'd be interested to know what sort of power someone fat and untrained manages to put out to do that sort of damage. Clearly higher than a top level rider, be interested to know how much.
  • njee20 wrote:
    I'd be interested to know what sort of power someone fat and untrained manages to put out to do that sort of damage. Clearly higher than a top level rider, be interested to know how much.

I imagine its down to incorrect installation of the cassette rather than the power they produce?
  • supersonic
    njee20 wrote:

It's nothing to do with power, it is all to do with peak torque. An 18 stone rider will almost always be able to produce a peak torque in excess of what a 9 stone pro can produce. Someone, albeit clumsy, who weighs lot, maybe strong too, and heaves on a certain gears produces this high value.

In addition, from what I have seen, it has always been worse on Hope. Whether there was a series, that was unusually soft I don't know.
  • njee20
    Torque being a function of how power is applied... They're directly related, yes someone who spins will put out a lower torque than someone who mashes, but I'd be interested to know the numbers, as I said. Certainly when it comes to power outputs it's not as straightforward as that, look around at a lot of the top riders and they're 13,14+ stone, and it's not an issue. I think you over estimate, I reckon your average 18 stone weekend warrior will have a lower peak torque than your average 12 stone racer.

But yes, it can happen, and is something to consider. In the same way that frames can break, in fact... I'll wager frames breaking is a far far more common problem. I'll also agree that it does seem more of an (non)issue with the alu that Hope use than others.
  • supersonic
    Power being a function of torque and cadence, to be pedantic ;-). I see a lot of the weekend warrior types pushing very hard gears ie low revs, high torque - I think this is a contributor. I don't see pro racers heaving on gears at 20 rpm. That sudden stall that many people do, then all the weight on one crank - 7 inch crank with a 250lb rider can generate a momentary torque about the axle of 1750in.lbs!!!

But we are both musing I guess, seeing the figures would be interesting. As for frames, my advice would be similar - if you are a heavy clumsy rider, get something stronger ;-).
  • njee20
    Fair comment. A quick glance through a few (road) rides and the highest I can find from my meagre 11 stone bulk is 1347ft/lbs, which was 599 watts at 37rpm. My max power is 1150w, and that's still pretty mediocre. Reckon peak torque will be higher on the MTB, although I must say I've never noticed any difference between the amount of burring on road and MTB wheelsets.
  • supersonic
    I see some manufacturers have started stapling steel inserts to the alu bodies now too. Yet to try one.
  • njee20
    AM Classic started that a few years ago, by all accounts an excellent theory, which needed a little more refinement.

Someone on weight weenies (allegedly) had success using actual stationery staples on the trailing edges of the splines. Not so sure about that!
  • njee20 wrote:
    the highest I can find from my meagre 11 stone bulk is 1347ft/lbs, which was 599 watts at 37rpm.

Either that's calculated from the peak torque during a pedal stroke, or you are actually Lance on an EPO bender...
  • njee20
    Well it's through a PowerTap, so strain gauges in the hub. There'll be some losses through the drivetrain I imagine, but I don't know how accurate it would be. It's not an anomaly, quite a few peaks around that, so it's consistently inaccurate at least!