Hope Pro II Hubs: Cassette Compatability and Skewers

myopic
myopic Posts: 692
edited December 2012 in MTB buying advice
I've got a couple of preconceived notions about Hope Pro II hubs, but not sure where I got them from or if they are true! Hopefully someone can help tell me if these are urban myths or otherwise. Cheers!

1. The alloy freehub is best fitted with a cassette with an alloy carrier. A steel one can be used, but there is a danger that the freehub will be damaged. Is this true? If so, what cassettes would be compatible - is it just Shimano XT and up, or will any cassette be OK?

2. For a std QR hub spec with 6 point disc, Hope skewers can work loose and be a pain to lock/unlock. If not going for Hope skewers, will any/most QR skewers do? Anyone got any recommendations for something good quality and reliable for trail riding? I had been thinking about these:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=3588

ANy help guidance appreciated, thanks! :)
You don't need eyes to see, you need vision

Comments

• GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    1. True, Hope say the damage will be cosmetic, but I believe it may cause problems when you come to change cassette. For alloy carriers, XT and above with Shimano, 980 and above with SRAM (although you may want to got for 990 as the carrier spans more of the cogs).

2. Shimano Deore are one of my faves. Seriously.
  • Eranu
    Eranu Posts: 712
    1. Yes you need XT or higher. You can get a steel freehub body though which negates that.

2. QR wise I've used Superstar, Shimano and Mavic QR with no issues. Personally I'd try and get some Shimano ones.
  • myopic
    Thanks for the feedback Guys (x2 to you GHill :D). Its helpful and much appreciated!
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    Another +1 for Shimano Deore skewers - Not the lightest, or very bling but the enclosed cam system is the best by far imo.
  • SLX cassettes also have an alloy carrier according to the Shimano website.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    SLX cassettes also have an alloy carrier according to the Shimano website.
    But only on the top 3 rings, XT have a carrier on 6 rings. The SLX will mark the freehub body more than the XT

Hope recommend XT & above or the Sram equivalent.

I have owned 4 pairs of Hope skewers, none have come undone.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    1. XT and above

2. Another vote for Shimano Deore, cheap but brilliant.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Eranu wrote:
    1. Yes you need XT or higher. You can get a steel freehub body though which negates that.

But that's at extra cost and makes them barely any lighter than an XT hub so there's not much point tbh.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    the old style hope skewers have some complaints but the new style ones (post 2009) are OK. Although my hope skewers don't feel as nice to use as my shimano xt skewers, they do the job just as well i.e. they hold the wheel in the drop out nice and tight.
  • myopic,

recently bought mavic xc717s on hope pro 2 hubs myself. I bought an XT cassette and I think it was Supersonic who recommended deore quick release which are excellent. Shop around for the deore skewers as got mine half price on net. Not sure where now before anyone asks. Unhelpful I know!
    Giant Anthem X3 2013
  • myopic
    Thanks for all the feedback guys. Not decided about the cassette yet, (XT or SRAM) but going to try the deore skewers for now and leave the bling Hopes as a possible future birthday present :wink:
  • Halo Porkie's are great skewers
  • I've not had any trouble with the CB split qr levers 8)
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    myopic wrote:
    Not decided about the cassette yet, (XT or SRAM)

Xt is lighter and cheaper :wink:
  • #2: My Kore QR Skewers as CRC link have been on since 2003 with no problems whatsoever
  • get a different hub ;)

I chose XT hubs over hope because..

1) they were a hell of a lot cheaper.
    2) just before buying there were a load of people popping up with cracked hope hubs
    3) I can use whatever cassette I want
    4) I had the option of centerlock hubs
    5) they dont make me feel like i'm trying to get noticed
    6) matching kit (skewers, seatclamp, brakes etc) is cheaper and works better.

The only reason I have a hope headset is because it was free!
  • Eranu
    Eranu Posts: 712
    2) just before buying there were a load of people popping up with cracked hope hubs

There are as many horror stories about XT hubs, ask Mr Toast. My hopes have been fine for 18 months or so and I'm sure that if they failed hope would replace them can you say the same for shimano?
    4) I had the option of centerlock hubs

Care?
    5) they dont make me feel like i'm trying to get noticed

That's all in your mind to be perfectly honest
    6) matching kit (skewers, seatclamp, brakes etc) is cheaper and works better

Matching? That's just proves my point above. I've used my hubs with SS QR, Mavic QR and Shimano. Get over the bling factor you great northern jessie :)
  • myopic
    Got Deore skewers for £11.99 a pair from Ready to Ride Cycles :D

Also I bought Hope over XT because.... that's probably another thread which could run for a bit :lol:
  • myopic wrote:
    Got Deore skewers for £11.99 a pair from Ready to Ride Cycles :D

Also I bought Hope over XT because.... that's probably another thread which could run for a bit :lol:

Go on... why did you buy hope over XT :wink:
  • myopic
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    Go on... why did you buy hope over XT :wink:

...not biting!! :lol: but probably for at least some of the reasons you must have been thinking about in your P7 thread before you went for XT! :wink:
  • lol! bling then? :P
  • myopic
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    lol! bling then? :P

So is that what was in your head?!! :lol:

but actually no: I went for silver, so relatively subtle.

I wanted to go for something quality that would last, perform well and with cartridge bearings for a change. And I wanted to indulge myself. Just for once....
  • silver... how boring ;)

Yea thats all I was thinking tbh... I don't think i'd ever tell the difference between XT and Hope apart from the price and colour!
  • Sorry to resurrect this, but anyone know if a PG1030 cassette would do the trick with a Hope freehub please?
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    It has the largest sprockets on an alu spider, so it will minimise the damage.

People really get far far too het up about this! Any cassette will be fine, you may eventually have a little more issue removing the cassette, but that's about it. I use a cheap HG50 cassette (no spider) on an alu freehub body on my PowerTap on the road and it's fine. A bit of burring, but no different to the XTR cassette on my 240s on the MTB, either way a few seconds with a file sorts it before I put the new cassette on. It's either 2 burrs or 9, that's about it...
  • You're right.

Usually buy the cheap Deore cassettes but seeing the PG1030s at £35 on Tredz (£30 if I get a discount for reviewing it) so thought perhaps these would be a decent alternative and a treat for a new wheelset I got as a present.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    njee20 wrote:
    It has the largest sprockets on an alu spider, so it will minimise the damage.

People really get far far too het up about this! Any cassette will be fine, you may eventually have a little more issue removing the cassette, but that's about it. I use a cheap HG50 cassette (no spider) on an alu freehub body on my PowerTap on the road and it's fine. A bit of burring, but no different to the XTR cassette on my 240s on the MTB, either way a few seconds with a file sorts it before I put the new cassette on. It's either 2 burrs or 9, that's about it...

Unless it rips right around the splines! Seen that before with big heavy riders!
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    At which point you are clearly an oaf and you buy a steel freehub body. No point doing it until that happens, and that really isn't relevant for 99% of riders. And if you're that fat then I'd be worrying about the 11-12 sprockets anyway, and the hub flanges on Pro 2s!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Either way, is something to be wary of, and you may be better off getting steel to start rather than potentially destroying an alu one. Or just buying a better hub if you are worrying about busting the whole thing!