Phil Liggett

2»

Comments

• The commentary has been awful. Clare Balding is a terrible presenter. Sue Barker definitely isn't Barry Davies and Steve Cram sounds out of his depth. what was wrong with Dougie Donnelly?
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    Actually I enjoy watching figure skating - not that I would want to do it - but have to watch Eurosport now Barry Davies has been discarded. Also Es show lots of skating and other stuff that the Beeb don't through out the year - like cycling!
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • phil s wrote:
    Sheptastic wrote:
    dougzz wrote:
    Who gives a crap about skiing and ice skating.

I can't think of anything duller than winter Olympics.
    agreed, it only exists to let hippies fall off hills and scottish people scream unintelligibly at skidding rocks.
    And cycling commentary is just about glorifying a bunch of wankers on pushbikes who are too skint to afford cars :roll:
    Well said. Personally I love most forms of skiing. I find sitting on chairlifts tedious, but cross-country skiing offers a brilliant workout in the winter. Round my way many cyclists take up skating (a form of cross country skiing) in the winter. Even better is 'rando' skiiing, which is what I was doing yesterday - over 1000m of ascent, including skinning up a 45 degree couloir in about 50 cm of consolidated but still pretty fresh snow! It's also a competitive sport around here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TO_QUc7xQ50

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjqg3VIq6cc
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    Can anyway point me to a skiing or winter olympics forum. I want to go and post lots of cycling comments to a bunch of people that couldn't give a crap
  • phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    Blimey, whereabouts is round your way?
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Sheptastic wrote:

scottish people scream unintelligibly at skidding rocks.

S-L-A-P

Curling is FUN. I married into a family of curlers (no jokes, please) and there is precious little coverage of a sport which is enjoyed by many. Of all ages. And, socially, is a lot of fun. Although I did once leave Perth ice-rink sober, but only once.

Cycling may be a minority sport, but it must be worse being a fan of the luge, skeleton or British cross-country skiing. Hardly any coverage- I wonder what a luge forum is like.

In my dreams, fans of all sports not called football would gang up together and relegate the Premier League to 20 minutes of TV coverage per week (at 3am on a Tuesday morning) and one paragraph in the Sunday Times once a fortnight.
  • dougzz
    The premier League is discussed all over the country, it has massive news print and TV coverage because so many people like it.

Curling, Luge and Skeleton have disproportionate coverage for the amount of real interest there is. If people wanted to watch these 'sports' then advertisers would push print and broadcast media in those directions. These shabby little nonsense sports should be grateful for the BBC showing them even once every 4 years, if it was down to hard bitten reality they'd never see airtime or print. I for one resent even 1p of my licence fee being spent on on covering various forms of falling downhill fast in the cold.

I find 10 pin bowling fun, but I can't imagine wanting to watch other people doing it on TV, or reading about it. I don't dispute the fun and enjoyment you can have from participating in various things, but watching other people do them is dull dull dull. Certain sports lend themselves to being a spectator, others don't. The Luge would probably being more interesting if the track were slightly wider and they went down 6 at a time with some bumping, maybe 6 launch chutes coming together after 100 metres. 4 Ban Bob and 2 Man Bob, wow such dramatically different events........ NO ITS DULL
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    But if the minority sports had more coverage, then more people would follow them and understand the nuances and intricacies.
  • dougzz
    @Tusher.
    I'm not sure that's true, C4 had a spell of promoting odd sports and it really did little or nothing.Isn't it the responsibility of those sports to find a way to get the coverage? If Sky really thought that you could popularise Curling, Ski Jumping, Lacrosse or whatever you think they wouldn't be all over it like a rash?
    Minority sports are minority because few people are interested in them. There are sports that are minority in participation and coverage, and sports that are minority just in terms of coverage.
    Swimming is the perfect example of this. Swimming is great fun and loads of us do it. But televised it's essentially 8 lines of splash, little drama or tension, and something the average person cares about not at all outside the Olympics, and only then if there's a Brit doing well. Don't expect to see Rebecca Adlington on TV until 2012.
  • dougzz wrote:
    If Sky really thought that you could popularise Curling, Ski Jumping, Lacrosse or whatever you think they wouldn't be all over it like a rash?
    You seem to be shifting the goal posts here as you, given that your original targets were skiing and ice skating. Take a look at those videos I linked to, the atmosphere and racing looks much like a mountain stage of the Tour to me. Similarly speed skating has much in common with track cycling...
  • dougzz
    @BB
    Maybe, but I don't think so, the nature of debate is you do move around and introduce new thoughts and points.. My last couple of posts on this thread were replies to Tusher's points about minority sports getting more coverage.

Why would I follow links to sports I've already made clear I find boring. That's my opinion, it's not fact, no one has to agree, it's just how I feel.

An American based friend often points out the similarity of Ice Hockey to 'Soccer' to me, but I still don't watch Ice Hockey because it's dull and boring to me.
  • dougzz wrote:
    Why would I follow links to sports I've already made clear I find boring.
    Because this might throw light on your ignorance? I bet you didn't even know what a ski-mountaineering race was until I mentioned them.