Phil Liggett

dulldave
dulldave Posts: 949
edited February 2010 in Pro race
Apparently he's going to be commentating on the Winter Olympics. Do you think he'll still manage to mention Armstrong? :lol:
Scottish and British...and a bit French

Comments

• symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Look out for a competitor returning to a sport and phil will say "....which brings to mind Lance Arstrong. DId you know i have met Lance Armstrong?"
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • Percy Vera
    Percy Vera Posts: 1,103
    edited February 2010
    Met him?
    I thought they were getting Married in Vegas when Armstrong wins the Tour this year! :lol:
  • And here we have the downhill ski-ing. Downhilll? Reminds me of the time Lance Armstrong took to a field to avoid another rider who fell in front of him. Why, that just shows the skill of the man, that he can cycle downhill AND look at things at the same time. You know, Lance is su.... lance is su.... lance.... NeuuuuggGGHHHH.... ahhh... Lance is such a hero to many....."

He's such a tool. Not met him, but it's obvious.
  • pomtarr
    pomtarr Posts: 318
    ...and he's dancing on the skis...
    :lol:

"Difficult, difficult, lemon difficult"
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I've met Phil - he's a nice bloke.
    I'm not sure lance is though.
  • Without Paul "In the Sport of Professional Cycling" Sherwen he might be more bearable, but as posters above have alluded to he might still crank up the cliche-matic ready for action.
  • "He's quite literally turning himself inside out to produce the slalom of his life"
  • Dgh
    Dgh Posts: 180
    Don't forget that everything will be "absolutely amazing/unbelievable"
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    I wonder who the "Heads of State of the Piste" are...........
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    "I haven't seen anything like this in all my years of watching the biathlon!!"
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440

He's such a tool. Not met him, but it's obvious.

My father in law has met him a few times and thinks he's a bit of a bell
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    I though that I used to think he was ok, but I've just watched footage of the 86 tour on DVD, and he was a fanny back then as well.
  • Did somebody say curling and he thought they said cycling??

I hope the Stattler & Waldrof of cycling do go to comment on the curling.

He's going to have open the suitcase of courage to get that stone in that circle.

Hope they are that goof that they don't come back to cycling.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    edited February 2010
    Matt Rendell did an epic job on the Tour of Qatar about how to commentate on your own. Unfortunately Statler needs Waldorf to operate effectively and when they're not together it's like the world is gonna end
  • phips wrote:
    DavMartinR wrote:
    I hope the Stattler & Waldrof of cycling do go to comment on the curling.

:lol: I've never thought of them like that, but that is brilliant.

I have a good mind to go home!
    If you had a good mind you wouldn't be here in the first place!

<cue chortling>

Hey! Those guys aren't half bad!

Nope, they're all bad!

(chortles)[/quote]
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Percy Vera
    Percy Vera Posts: 1,103
    That was close!!

Just read Phils twitter and he said 7hrs ago that he was speaking to 2 American cyclists, I thought it was going to be a cue to mention the man himself :lol:
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    On TV in Oz today where he is at the ski-jumping, he mentioned someone and the 'the cloak of invisibility'.....I could swear he was laughing at all the cyclists as he spoke :D
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Hugh Porter was doing speed skating on the BBC a bit earlier. Someone fell over and Hugh said they'd "come a box of tricks" - I thought that was one of Duffield's?!
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    Presume the 'cloak of invisibility' comment referred to Simon Amman's supposed likeness to Harry Potter?
  • It could be so much worse. BBC Winter Olympic commentry is painfully bad.
  • It is. Clare Balding SHOUTS all the bloomin' time and Steve "I hat Chambers" Cram was corrected every 10 seconds by his co-commentator at the Curling. It shows perhaps that it's not easy and that the really good ones are a rare breed.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,231
    Not surprised the BBC commentary is poor when they rely on people with no winter games experience to commentate. At least they are backing up with ex-athletes but that just serves to heighten their mistakes.
  • dougzz
    Who gives a crap about skiing and ice skating.

I can't think of anything duller than winter Olympics.
  • dougzz
    dougzz wrote:

Except maybe my posts on this forum :)
  • dougzz wrote:

agreed, it only exists to let hippies fall off hills and scottish people scream unintelligibly at skidding rocks.
  • phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    Sheptastic wrote:
    dougzz wrote:

agreed, it only exists to let hippies fall off hills and scottish people scream unintelligibly at skidding rocks.

And cycling commentary is just about glorifying a bunch of wankers on pushbikes who are too skint to afford cars :roll:
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    phil s wrote:

And cycling commentary is just about glorifying a bunch of wankers on pushbikes who are too skint to afford cars :roll:

I blame the producers.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    :lol:
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    dougzz wrote:

I see there's some bloke on a skiing website who can't think of anything duller than cycling.

Go figure :wink: