OT: Go Saints

suzyb
suzyb Posts: 3,449
edited February 2010 in Commuting chat
Still had some money in my account with William Hill so put a small bet on the Saints winning the superbowl. And they did :D

I'm now £4 richer.

Comments

• my missus made me put £50 on in the hope that it might help the area that was hit by the flooding last year... ;-) bless her.....happy days. Always good to see the underdogs win
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    Didn't care who won but great game!
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    As a Chargers fan I was routing for Brees and boy he showed us a masterclass.
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • nic_77
    nic_77 Posts: 929
    *spoiler* would have been nice for everyone who recorded it.
    I thought I'd be safe on a cycling site :(
  • suzyb
    nic_77 wrote:
    Sorry :(
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    nic_77 wrote:

but at the same time clicking on a thread about the game, you're asking for trouble

I always avoid all MMA talk until I've seen a recorded fight night
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I've tried to watch 'American Rugby' (also known as American Football) twice in my lifetime.

The first time was at Uni, I sat on my sofa surrounded by chips, crisps, nachos, sausages, an assortment of dips and several beers. 45mins into the game I lost the will to live. The Waterboy (film) is a completely inaccurate representation of the sport. I didn't laugh once.

I watched about 1hr of it yesterday, BBC1 coverage annoyed me as it seemed every time the 'ball' hit the floor they would go back to the studio to talk about the 'play'. What 'play'? Someone says "hut". Men run into each other. Another man either kicks the ball or throws it. Someone several 'feet' or 'yards' away catches it or doesn't and we are back in the BBC studio to talk about it!? Hugely frustrating.

I got annoyed with myself when I couldn't figure out what '1st and 20' or '3rd and 10' or '2nd and 30' meant. Still it's a lot more enjoyable than cricket!

Who was playing?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Great game. I was supporting the Saints last night, so I'm happy with the result. (I'm a Bucs fan - watched them get hammered by the Patriots at Wembley last year =( )
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I watched about 1hr of it yesterday, BBC1 coverage annoyed me as it seemed every time the 'ball' hit the floor they would go back to the studio to talk about the 'play'. What 'play'? Someone says "hut". Men run into each other. Another man either kicks the ball or throws it. Someone several 'feet' or 'yards' away catches it or doesn't and we are back in the BBC studio to talk about it!? Hugely frustrating.
    The reason the Beeb cut back to the studio is because that's when they show commercials in the US.

Ironically, the only thing that appeared to be broadcast uninterrupted was The Who at half time. Presumably because advertisers assume no one's watching that anyway.
  • Oddjob62
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I got annoyed with myself when I couldn't figure out what '1st and 20' or '3rd and 10' or '2nd and 30' meant. Still it's a lot more enjoyable than cricket!

Oh come on DDD, a clever lad like you must have been able to at least work that out.

Offence has 4 downs (attempts) to advance the ball 10 yards
    They will start on 1st and 10 - 1st attempt with 10 yards to go.
    3rd and 6 - 3rd attempt, with 6 yards to go.
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I've tried to watch 'American Rugby' (also known as American Football) twice in my lifetime.

The best way to get into American football is to start with the college games, especially the various end-of-season bowls that are played around Christmas. The college version has less stopages and as it's less professional more things are tried or happen. Once you get the hang of the rules and basic strategies watching the NFL teams becomes more interesting. Any sport is fantasically dull if you don't understand the basic concepts of how it's played.

Don't blame the BBC for the "back to the studio" bits, thats when the American TV feed would have gone to an advert break, and yes, they go that often.
  • Oddjob62
    _Brun_ wrote:
    The reason the Beeb cut back to the studio is because that's when they show commercials in the US.

Strange thing is a lot of people (women mainly) in the US watch the superbowl to see the adverts. Companies like Pepsi will make special adverts JUST for the superbowl, and the Supwerbowl advertising slots are the most expensive in advertising (something like $2.5mil for a 30second slot last year).
  • DonDaddyD
    I didn't realise that so many British/English/people from the UK watched American Rugby.

Thank you Oddjob, for the explanation. Can a team go more than 10yards during their 4 attempts and what if they don't?

Brun and Eau Rouge, I forgot that Ameican TV is heavily pumped with adverts all about 5secs long...
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • suzyb
    edited February 2010
    Oddjob62 wrote:
    _Brun_ wrote:

Strange thing is a lot of people (women mainly) in the US watch the superbowl to see the adverts. Companies like Pepsi will make special adverts JUST for the superbowl, and the Supwerbowl advertising slots are the most expensive in advertising (something like $2.5mil for a 30second slot last year).
    I'll be trying to track the ads down on the internet at some point. You can get some really clever superbowl ads.

What annoyed me about the beeb's coverage was the "Change Audio" red button indicator that was on the top of the screen and completely covered the clock.

And yes DDD a team can go more than 10 yards. They must make it at least 10 yards in those 4 attempts. If they don't then the other team is given possession and they have to try and go 10 yards.

What usually happens though is the team will try and pass or run the ball to gain 10 yards for 3 attempts (downs). They will then bring on a kicker to punt the ball as far as he can into the opposing teams half. That way the opposing team will have to start from deep in their own half of the field.
  • Yeah, Oddjob, I know you're a knowledgeable guy on this, could you do us a layman's terms summary of how the game works?

I, like DDD,find it really rubbish to watch, but that's probably mostly because I don't really understand it.

Saying that, I understand football, and still find it rubbish to watch.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I didn't realise that so many British/English/people from the UK watched American Rugby.

Thank you Oddjob, for the explanation. Can a team go more than 10yards during their 4 attempts and what if they don't?

Brun and Eau Rouge, I forgot that Ameican TV is heavily pumped with adverts all about 5secs long...
    They can go as far forward as they like in each play. Sometimes they get forced backwards so it's 2nd and 15, or whatever. On the fourth down the offensive team has a choice: 1) punt the ball downfield, which results in a turnover but, hopefully, gaining some field position. 2) Normal running or passing play. If the offensive team fails to advance 10yards at the completion of the 4th down it's a turnover (a bit like after sixth tackle in rugby league). If the offensive team during the course of the 4 downs advances 10 yards it resets to 1st down again.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • DonDaddyD
    edited February 2010
    Thanks Suzy/Jon/Oddjob, more questions...

What happens if you move 10yards within your 4 goals and are still in possesion of the ball after the 4th go?

I assume that if the other team somehow gets the ball within their opponents 4 goes the possession is their's (grammar check on their's/theirs please?).

I've always wanted to like NFL but couldn't get my head around it.

Edit: How come all you guys like and watch NFL. Also where the hell or on what channel do you watch it!? :shock:
    Food Chain number = 4

• greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    edited February 2010
    It's mostly in suzyb's post.

The objective is to have your man holding the ball in the endzone (like a try in rugby, but without the need to touch the ball down; ironic then that a score is called a touchdown).

Progress is made through a series of "downs". Team A has four downs to progress ten yards up field. If it progresses ten yards or more, it gets another four downs to progress another ten yards. And so on.

Each down consists of a line of scrimmage. The forwards line up mano-a-mano. Team A snaps back back to their quarterback. His forwards protect him, while his runners try to find space. He then tries to make a pass to one of his runners. Catch = completed pass. New line of scrimmage is where the catch was made. Ball out of play = wasted down; start where you were. Interception = bad.

A variant is that the ball is snapped to the running back, who then tries to weave his way through the crowd (like a flanker/no 8 breaking from the base of the scrum, but generally with more success).

There are rules about when playing the man off the ball is permissible and when it becomes impermissible that I don't understand.

Oh, and (I think) apart from the initial snap, the ball can only be passed forwards, unlike rugby. Passing other than by the QB is rare though.

Most plays (what follows from the snap) are carefully orchestrated and choreographed by the attacking side. It's not very spontaneous, unless you get an interception.

And each team has an attacking side, a defensive side and a special team (fecks knows what they do).

Canadian Football is similar, but the pitch is slightly larger, there are two fewer players per side, and each side has three downs rather than four to progress 10 yards.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • jonginge
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    What happens if you move 10yards within your 4 goals and are still in possesion of the ball after the 4th go?
    As per above
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I assume that if the other team somehow gets the ball within their opponents 4 goes the possession is their's (grammar check on their's/theirs please?).
    Turnovers are similar to rugby: pass interceptions (obviously mainly forward in american football) or loose ball during tackles
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • jonginge
    Greg66 wrote:
    There are rules about when playing the man off the ball is permissible and when it becomes impermissible that I don't understand.
    'Pass interference' is generally frowned upon, pretty much anything else goes*.

* my knowledge is probably woefully outdated.
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • DonDaddyD
    How the hell do you lot know so much about NFL where did you watch it?
    Food Chain number = 4

• JonGinge wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

I'm thinking of times when I've seen a flag for some really obscure thing done when the lines of scrimmage engage. Even with the replay I can't tell what's wrong. Bit like the intricacies of front row scrummaging... :?
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • jonginge
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    My parents lived in canada for a bit. NFL was shown on Channel 4 during eighties/early nineties
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • DonDaddyD
    JonGinge wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    My parents lived in canada for a bit. NFL was shown on Channel 4 during eighties/early nineties
    You know, I think I remember that! :shock:
    Food Chain number = 4

• jonginge
    Greg66 wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

I'm thinking of times when I've seen a flag for some really obscure thing done when the lines of scrimmage engage. Even with the replay I can't tell what's wrong. Bit like the intricacies of front row scrummaging... :?
    Hmm, dunno. Been a while since I've seen much. Defense moving too early maybe (just a wild guess)
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Greg66 wrote:

I think the former is permissible only before the QB has released/thrown the ball. Otherwise, it's "roughing" and the referees/umpires/Men in Stripes thrown little orange flags everywhere.
    Oh, and (I think) apart from the initial snap, the ball can only be passed forwards, unlike rugby. Passing other than by the QB is rare though.

I thought the ball could only be passed backwards once it has gone beyond the line of scrimmage.

Isn't a pass by a running or full back called a "Flea Flicker" or something?

The athleticism of some of these players is extraordinary. Eric Metcalf pulled over one of the best moves I've ever seen (second only to Phil Bennett's magic to kick start that glorious Baa Baas try against the All Blacks):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTcL2Lg0RcU
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    JonGinge wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

Hmm, dunno. Been a while since I've seen much. Defense moving too early maybe (just a wild guess)

Is that a "false start"?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    DonDaddyD wrote:

I've been watching NFL since the 80s when Channel 4 had coverage. These days, Sky and Channel 5 have programmes and full match coverage.

Used to play John Madden '92 on my Megadrive, back in the day. :D

I've been to two regular season NFL matches at Wembley (Dolphins/Giants a few years ago, then Bucs/Patriots last year), and I've got tickets for this year's match in October. \o/

Never been to a game in the US yet, but I hope to remedy that some time. As a Tampa Bay Buccaneers fan, I'll probably fit it in with a trip to Orlando or something.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • suzyb
    JonGinge wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    That's when I started watching it, Father watched it so I started. Now we do a bit of Father/Daughter bonding on superbowl night :wink:

It is (or was last season) shown on Five on a Saturday morning. I didn't really watch it though, the presenters annoyed me too much.

And Jon I think they are allowed to pass it backwards. I'm sure you get some weird plays that involve the ball being handed off to someone who then throws it back to the quarterback. But you rarely see anything "risky" like that.

Special teams is the one the kicker is part of. Although I think they can be brought on in other situations as well.

(Madden whatever year is good for learning a few more things :P)
  • cjcp
    Agent57 wrote:
    Used to play John Madden '92 on my Megadrive, back in the day. :D

Brilliant game :D .

What happened to Mick Luckhurst?!

(I used to be a Raiders fan, back when Marcus Allen and Bo Jackson were demi-gods.)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."