Poorly rated parts that actually work really well

2»

Comments

• Ah, something that always gets a raw deal and works like a charm:

Crank Bros.Joplin (R) Seatpost

Seen so many people slate this product but those of us who have them fitted cannot fault the product.
    With common sense maintenance (clean after every ride) and annual basic servicing (undertaken by yourself or the LBS) these seatposts are fantastic and work flawlessly
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Ah, something that always gets a raw deal and works like a charm:

Crank Bros.Joplin (R) Seatpost

Seen so many people slate this product but those of us who have them fitted cannot fault the product.
    With common sense maintenance (clean after every ride) and annual basic servicing (undertaken by yourself or the LBS) these seatposts are fantastic and work flawlessly

agreed, i love mine and the difference it makes to a ride.

thought of another one: specialized suspension............. oh no, sorry im wrong about that.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Tektro Auriga Pro brakes- they're seen as the entry level, budget brakes you stick on just to tick off the specsheet- "Hydro brakes, tick" but they're actually very good. Not quite as good as XT but not far off at all, just harder to bleed and find parts for.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • asdfhjkl
    asdfhjkl Posts: 333
    Andy wrote:
    stubs wrote:
    Anything by Superstar

Who rates them poorly?

That's what I'm thinking too :P

I really like Superstar, although my opinion may be biased because those lovely people included Haribo with my lock-on grips :)
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    Northwind wrote:
    Tektro Auriga Pro brakes- they're seen as the entry level, budget brakes you stick on just to tick off the specsheet- "Hydro brakes, tick" but they're actually very good. Not quite as good as XT but not far off at all, just harder to bleed and find parts for.

Top shout!
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Andy wrote:
    stubs wrote:
    Anything by Superstar

Who rates them poorly?

For my sins I used to mooch around the singletrackworld site occasionally. Any mention of superstar on that site and all the weirdos start foaming at the mouth.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Northwind
    STW has some history with Superstar, partly because of some parts failures but mainly because the owner created an account there and spammed it up with "I love Superstar they're great" threads :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Bars under 700mm.
  • KT1973
    KT1973 Posts: 93
    Avid BB7 brakes
  • im gonna say my sr suntour x100's that came with my avalanche. i have given them crap for about a year and a half now and i think theyre fine. granted their stiction is pretty poor compared with a pair of foxes and i will be changing them out for some recons when i have the money, but they have lasted fine. living in swansea at the mo and the riding round here is pretty harsh (kilvey anyone?) but the forks keep me upright enough :)
  • 08 marzocchi 66's.
    Everbody slated these, yet the pair I had on my gambler were fine and never caused me any trouble.
  • Northwind
    Bars under 700mm.

Ohhhhh, good shout. I saw MBUK casually mentioned that 680mm was "too narrow" a while back, obviously 710mm is the new 680mm. Barflation strikes!
    Uncompromising extremist
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I hate wide bars lol.
  • M6TTF
    M6TTF Posts: 602
    640mm bars for me - any wider is just a pain in the ass for narrow gaps
  • gaz047
    gaz047 Posts: 601
    +1 for dual control levers - got them on my hardtail, think they work really well
    +1 for avid juicy (7s) - have needed the occasional bleed but when done right have found them excellent (last bleed was april)
    +1 for cheap gear cables - you can save a lot of money here

and finally continental speedkings seem to get mixed reviews, but i really rate them. quick, light, pretty cheap and surprisingly good in the mud.
    if it ain't rainin.....it ain't trainin
    Stick your 'rules' up your a%se
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    johnman wrote:
    im gonna say my sr suntour x100's that came with my avalanche. i have given them crap for about a year and a half now and i think theyre fine. granted their stiction is pretty poor compared with a pair of foxes and i will be changing them out for some recons when i have the money, but they have lasted fine. living in swansea at the mo and the riding round here is pretty harsh (kilvey anyone?) but the forks keep me upright enough :)
    dart1's got me down Kilvey on a weekly basis for a year... no probs!
    for me its all about my old wellgo dx spd copy's
    i love them!
    ooh, and ignitors, they are great in all but nothing.
    and also tektro auriga brakes (pro, and comp) very,very good.
    finaly any race face post, i have the evolve xc one, the angle adjustment, infact the whole head, makes adjusting your saddle a pure pleasure....
    truly fantastic!
    I like bikes and stuff
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    stubs wrote:
    Andy wrote:
    stubs wrote:
    Anything by Superstar

Who rates them poorly?

For my sins I used to mooch around the singletrackworld site occasionally. Any mention of superstar on that site and all the weirdos start foaming at the mouth.

A lot of peops have had their pads fall apart, that`s one reason.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • stubs
    antfly wrote:
    stubs wrote:
    Andy wrote:
    stubs wrote:
    Anything by Superstar

Who rates them poorly?

A lot of peops have had their pads fall apart, that`s one reason.

Well me and my mates have been using them for quite a while now (about 2 years) and none of us has had any problems. I have only ever had two problems with a set of pads.

One was some original Hayes pads where the backing plates rusted and the pad material came off on one side.

The other was some EBC resin pads that dissolved on an 18 mile gritty wet Lakes ride.

Superstar kit is made in the same factories (usually Taiwanese) that make kit for all the bike companies
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    The pad issue was acknowledged and sorted by Superstar a long time ago. They've got a guarantee on the brake pads too, if you're not completely happy you can get your money back.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    My Rize is kitted out with unremarkable but functional components that need hardly any attention and just keep on working. When they're all covered in mud it makes no difference whether they are grubby black or shiny gold :)
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    my xo gripshifts have to be one of the most under rated and under used components out there. nothing shifts quicker ,feels as accurate and is as light .lots of people pull their face when they see im running gripshifts but havent actually tried them, also very easy to use when tired. i run them on my ragley with lyriks on the front so im no some weight conscious xc racer
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    Where to start...

Avid BB5s - Unless I start riding drastically more agressive terrain that trail centres I can't see me ever needing more than the 160mm rotors I run.

Resin flat pedals - Almost everyone I know has had to service their metal pedals, mine and the missus' have never needed any work at all, and mine hav survived 14 months of weekly riding so far.

Quando hubs - they just work! even since I started using a pressure washerafter every ride.

It seems sometimes that the cheapest things I buy for the bikes are the things that never break... :shock:
  • stubs
    Kiblams wrote:

It seems sometimes that the cheapest things I buy for the bikes are the things that never break... :shock:

You said it. Some of the toughest gear on my bikes is the cheapest. A lot of expensive gear just doesnt last I would rather drag around a couple of extra pounds of weight.
  • CFS
    CFS Posts: 124
    The shimano cable disk brakes on my Trek hardtail, they stop the bike really well.

I'm not sure why people say cable disks are high maintenance.. All you need to do is twiidle the adjuster at the lever and click the fixed pad adjuster round a notch or two with an allen key every now and again...not difficult or time consuming.

Try setting up a set of old cantilever brakes (pre V brake) or bleeding Tektro Aurigas.

Tektro Aurigas are very good when bled btw.
    Shot by both sides...
  • crank bros pedals, they are reliable if you're not over any weight restrictions and buy the quality ones. The cheap ones will fail, that's why they're cheap.
  • Novatec hubs (remember them?) I've been running one of those since 2001 and it's still going smooth as ever with zero maintenance
  • My strange old unbranded alu frame. My first decent bike was a fs cube copy that some dude built out of easton tubing and stuck on ebay. I abused that thing for a good 12 months and it never faultered once. (The guy i sold it to killed it, but thats not the point!)
    Giant Reign - now sold :-(
    Rockhopper Pro - XC and commuting
    DH8 - New toy :-)
  • mkf
    mkf Posts: 242
    my pace rc41fighter forks been bounceing on them for 10 years or more sttill smooth yearly serviced. Just ordered new rockshox cause not cost effective to service the pace and fancy a change.
    But the slateing pace got SHOCKING :wink: