Poorly rated parts that actually work really well

Surf-Matt
Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
edited February 2010 in MTB general
Anyone got a part of parts that get terrible reviews yet have served you really well?

My rear hub is officially the "weak point" of my bike (think it's a Shimano M525). Yet it's done over 6000 miles with only one hub grease/bearing repack and works flawlessly. I thought I'd need to replace it pretty sharpish but it just keeps on going and going!

My brakes (Juicy 5s) also get mixed reviews and for a good year or so they were a PITA - squeaking, rubbing, awful to replace pads, etc but since the last service they've worked brilliantly.

Handy.

Comments

• Yep,XT dual control shifters.Most hate them but I find them really intuitive.

I`m a fan of Shimano cup and cone hubs too.Had M525 and now have XT.Never had a problem,though not for the maintenance shy..........
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • Mark_K
    Mark_K Posts: 666
    Yep,XT dual control shifters.Most hate them but I find them really intuitive.

+1
    I have XT and XTR DC levers on both my mtb's and love em i find it real hard to ride bikes without them now :D
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    I`m a fan of Shimano cup and cone hubs too...

me too. and they don't een need much maintenance

I have serviced my cupncone hubs once since 2006....
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    edited February 2010
    *gets out the special worm tin-opener*

Hope headdoctor - if used correctly brilliant, looks ace and is great if you do a lot of swapping of forks/stems etc...
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    Alivio shifter. Yep they are low-end and SLX etc. will be alot better, but work suprisingly well for the money!
  • mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    Alivio shifter. Yep they are low-end and SLX etc. will be alot better, but work suprisingly well for the money!
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    +1 for;

Head doctor
    Avid juicys
    M525 rear hubs
    (although I think the issue with these is probably the same as with all cup and cone hubs, that they need periodic maintenance then they can last forever ... kids today etc etc)

Also;

Rapid Rise,whose biggest enemy is that, once you'r used to one way of shifting gears, doing it back to front (oooh err) feels funny enough that you blame it. I hate top normal now :D
    and Shwalbe Nobby nic sidewalls which I have never worn through like others seem to be able to do in a weekend
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • Halford branded 26x1.5 tyres. I've used them for 4 years and they're still going good despite the glass and other crap on the commute. Can't think of a punct* in the last year. Downsides are they're slow and being slicks, have a slippery feel on ice and damp roads.

Also, Bell Tyres bought cheaply from ADSA for the MTB, now on my Malt 4 :shock:
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    michelin all mountain expert 2.2's, every mag in the world slated them and still do to this day, but wierdly my were ace and got even better with age :lol:
  • Noclue
    Noclue Posts: 503
    Grip shifters - I actually quite like them :oops:
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Star Nuts - work great if you install them correctly...
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    How are Head Doctors an advantage if you're swapping forks regularly!? Stick a SFN in each pair of forks and you're away...

Grip Shift for me.
  • njee20 wrote:
    How are Head Doctors an advantage if you're swapping forks regularly!? Stick a SFN in each pair of forks and you're away...

Grip Shift for me.

Ok, maybe not regularly, but when I moved my forks onto my new frame I had to cut the steerer down 10mm because of a shorter top tube so I just popped the headdoctor out, cut the steerer popped the head doctor back in.

Don't get me wrong I have nothing angainst SFNs - I have one in my other bike - I just think Headdoctors get unfair criticism.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    juicy 3's
    tubes
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    njee20 wrote:

Grip Shift for me.

Ok, maybe not regularly, but when I moved my forks onto my new frame I had to cut the steerer down 10mm because of a shorter top tube so I just popped the headdoctor out, cut the steerer popped the head doctor back in.

Don't get me wrong I have nothing angainst SFNs - I have one in my other bike - I just think Headdoctors get unfair criticism.

so you still wont be able to move the frok back to the other bike? I dont have anything against headdoctors or whatever, but I believe the SFN is easier...measure your cut...knock the sfn down appropriately, make your cut.

done.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    Avid Codes - ok not totally defendable, but when they're working properly they're awesome, just it doesn't happen all that often.
  • Bomberesque-Agree with you on the Nobby Nics.I have managed to get 2 years out of mine though the rear gets rotated with a Racing Ralph.

I wonder if some of the remarks come from serial kit killers........ :lol:
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    def zocchi 44's.
    i may want pikes, but thats only for the extra stiffness, and the smoothness of coil.
    my 44's are totaly awsome forks, very plush, very well damped, and stiff, and light, and good looking and...............
    although they have had a bit of custom tuning on my part...
    I like bikes and stuff
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Bog standard Shimano SP41 cable outer and basic inner cables, why pay more, I don't anymore.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • lesz42
    lesz42 Posts: 690
    Flats
    Giant Trance X0 (08) Reverb, Hope Hoops 5.1D, XT brakes, RQ BC, Works Components headset 1.5
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    on paper , my whole drivetrain would be considered a bag of sh*te , ( shimano alivio )
    but still works rather well.
    :D
  • covelove
    covelove Posts: 209
    hayes el camino brakes- most people think they are crap but they stop me just fine! even better when at flood sale prices
    does my tail look hard in this?

cove stiffee

orange 222
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Anything by Superstar

so far I have used brake pads, lock-on grips, carbon seatpost and a headset

It aint flash but it all works
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • colintrav
    colintrav Posts: 1,074
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    Anyone got a part of parts that get terrible reviews yet have served you really well?

My rear hub is officially the "weak point" of my bike (think it's a Shimano M525). Yet it's done over 6000 miles with only one hub grease/bearing repack and works flawlessly. I thought I'd need to replace it pretty sharpish but it just keeps on going and going!

My brakes (Juicy 5s) also get mixed reviews and for a good year or so they were a PITA - squeaking, rubbing, awful to replace pads, etc but since the last service they've worked brilliantly.

Handy.

You should be asking the question who or what companies is prepared to offer back handers for favourable reviews ...

Because the whole issue of reviews is imo highly questionable and how can they justify what they have said when in your experience is the opposite from what's been published ..
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    So if one person finds a part good then the review in a mag is rubbish? It is a general opinion of a number of testers, often over a long period.

Shimano hubs generally do well in magazine reviews.
  • clarkson
    clarkson Posts: 1,641
    i agree with the shimano cup and cone hubs. on the merlin I have XT's and on my GT i have deores. both have done over 1000 miles, with only slight adjustment and no servicing.

Was knocked off my GT the other day and although the rim took a hammering, the hub was fine!
    I said hit the brakes not the tree!!

2006 Specialized Enduro Expert
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3192886/

2008 Custom Merlin Malt 4
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/2962222/

2008 GT Avalanche Expert
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3453980/
  • Panaracer Fire XC Pro tyres.. work very well, never had a flat using them
  • I've just installed a 'Hed Doctor' (first time I'll have used one) on my new build, so I'll let you know how that works out!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • Andy
    Andy Posts: 8,207
    stubs wrote:
    Anything by Superstar

Who rates them poorly?