Beppu Hishacked!

2»

Comments

• rockmount wrote:
    Jeff Jones wrote:
    Sure they could go and poach Alberto Contador from Team Vino, but they could do that already.
    Just goes to show the little pistolero just ain't as valuable as some seem to think !

It actually shows the complete opposite.
    Cost too much to buy him out.
    As Iain points out, Caisse, nor Garmin didn't have the readies, even with their Wiggins windfall.
    He could have walked ...
    .. who said that, internet forum people ?
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    rockmount wrote:
    He could have walked ...

To what? No team? Getting paid less than his market rate? Given the poor state of cycling sponsorship I don't think he had much choice.

If Lance didn't land a sponsor, and he was going to race and be paid his market rate, he would've struggled to get a team.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • iainf72 wrote:
    rockmount wrote:
    He could have walked ...

To what? No team? Getting paid less than his market rate? Given the poor state of cycling sponsorship I don't think he had much choice.

If Lance didn't land a sponsor, and he was going to race and be paid his market rate, he would've struggled to get a team.
    Duh !
  • iainf72
    rockmount wrote:
    Duh !

You really add value to this forum. People try engage you in a discussion and get stuff like this?
  • rockmount wrote:
    Duh !
    Another constructive contribution. :roll:

The fact that after months of lobbying, the best the biggest name in the sport could secure as a sponsor, was Radio Shack.
    As a Lance fan, you should be able to relate to the fragility of the sponsorship market, through his example.

Sure Contador could have left, but under the least marketable circumstances.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    rockmount wrote:
    Duh !

The fact that after months of lobbying, the best the biggest name in the sport could secure as a sponsor, was Radio Shack.
    As a Lance fan, you should be able to relate to the fragility of the sponsorship market, through his example.

Sure Contador could have left, but under the least marketable circumstances.

Gotta agree. It's not the best of times to be job hunting. Especially when you(more than likely) have a d*mn good paycheck coming in already. There are more than a few examples, in pro sports, of "hotshots" thinking that someone else will pay really, really,
    really big for them only to find out that, well, maybe I've made a mistake.
  • iainf72 wrote:
    rockmount wrote:
    Duh !

You really add value to this forum. People try engage you in a discussion and get stuff like this?
    I guess if you ever said anything original, interesting or useful ..., you may engage someone. The endless regurgitation of widely available internet content hardly constitutes a good conversation opener. Sorry to dent your over inflated self opinion.
  • iainf72
    rockmount wrote:
    I guess if you ever said anything original, interesting or useful ..., you may engage someone. The endless regurgitation of widely available internet content hardly constitutes a good conversation opener. Sorry to dent your over inflated self opinion.

Coming from someone who posted "duh" in response to a thread that makes me laugh. I don't know what your beef with me is but you really need to move on dude.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    rockmount wrote:

Yes, iain posts a lot of links - and draws my attention to articles I probably wouldn't know about otherwise, and I'm sure that's the case for many other people too. Usually he uses these articles to start a discussion, and contributes considered opinion time and time again as a search of his posts will show.

What do *you* do?
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • DaveyL wrote:
    rockmount wrote:

Yes, iain posts a lot of links - and draws my attention to articles I probably wouldn't know about otherwise, and I'm sure that's the case for many other people too. Usually he uses these articles to start a discussion, and contributes considered opinion time and time again as a search of his posts will show.

What do *you* do?
    Why don't you two nice *dudes* get a room ... :lol:
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Q.E.D.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    rockmount wrote:
    Duh !

Cycling is hardly bursting at the seams with top notch blue chip companys sponsoring teams though is it ? I mean sheet metal ,telephone credit companies,agricultural equipment etc are far removed for the Coca Cola and Nikes of this world.So i dont see what the issue is here with it being Radioshack this level of company is much in keeping with the level of companies who tend to sponsor teams.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • Moray Gub wrote:
    rockmount wrote:
    Duh !

Cycling is hardly bursting at the seams with top notch blue chip companys sponsoring teams though is it ? I mean sheet metal ,telephone credit companies,agricultural equipment etc are far removed for the Coca Cola and Nikes of this world.So i dont see what the issue is here with it being Radioshack this level of company is much in keeping with the level of companies who tend to sponsor teams.

Yet, at the time, there was much excitement about the possiblity of a big name sponsor.
    Nike, was certainly cropping up in the speculation.
    We don't disagree on this. The example of Lance's search for a sponsor is the best example of the financial restrictions within the sport and to rationalise why there was no team out there able to buy out Contador's contract, offering the rider favourable terms.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.