Surrey Hills questions

Comments

• Toonraid
    Toonraid Posts: 126
    Never been to surrey hills but would like a gentle intro so would appreiate it if someone could suggest a 60 - 70 km Loop from Esher avoiding the killer hills. I will be cycling from NW London so will have to do another 55 km on top so go easy on me.
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    Toonraid wrote:
    Never been to surrey hills but would like a gentle intro so would appreiate it if someone could suggest a 60 - 70 km Loop from Esher avoiding the killer hills. I will be cycling from NW London so will have to do another 55 km on top so go easy on me.
    where in Nw london? Maybe we could link up for a ride.
  • Toonraid
    Maida Vale - 5 min from Lords
  • Toonraid
    Maida Vale
  • bikergirl17
    bikergirl17 Posts: 344
    most gentle intro to the hills is the classic three hill loop, with takes in hungry hill, dunley (that one isn't too pleasant but it is short and pretty typical of surrey hills) and box hill ...

route should be on bikely; otherwise i can send it to you (i may also have in in tcx format). if you start in esher (not clear if you plan to ride there or take the train) and end in epsom, as suggested, you will be easily in 50 km range. the entire route, which starts in richmond park and does go through esher, is 84 km RT -- and a good 40-50 km of it is just getting to the 3-hills part, which is within about 20 km (feels like a long ride to get to a hill, basically)!

on the return from box hill to london, the ride is a little rolling, but largely flat and usually with an ace tail wind. if you want to skip the worst of the london bit traffic wise, pick up the train in epsom to london.

alternatively, if your legs are feeling it, you can come back down box hill and take the train from west humble/box hill to london.

i likely am going to do the route this saturday or sunday, assuming no snow/rain. more than happy to go with you. depending on my legs, there is a a VERY slim chance i will try an extra hill but it would be a detour off so you could skip it ....
  • Toonraid
    That sounds just about a perfect intro. I will actually be cycling from Maida Vale to surrey via richmond park. Have found a good route through london so no need for trains - besides it works as a good warm-up, warm-down.

I am actually out of the country at the moment but will be back on 15th so will take you up on your offer then. I also have an invite from a friend who lives near Epping Forrest which is another area I have never cycled in so should be a fun couple of weeks since the only area I have ventured around london is NW enroute to Oxford via Chiltern Hills.
  • NWLondoner
    Sorry I couldn't reply in detail earlier.

This is a URL to a good ride http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=105966

Only 3 major climbs, Staple Lane,Crock North and Box Hill. The rest is all pretty rolling roads.

I sometimes just get the train down to Clandon then pick up the route from there.

I may be up for a ride down there on 20/21st March depending on work schedule so give us a PM if your interested. Same applies to any one else.

I am not the fastest paced rider and since being off for quite a while this can average around 26kph at present, although am trying to increase it.
  • bikergirl17
    cool, that's the same route i mentioned! i think i am even slower than nwlondoner; only done the route 2x this year and was seriously struggling when i used to punch it.

i signed up for the SWRC spring onion next week, which takes in some of this (and more) if anyone is looking for a signed route in surrey (the surrey rumble, starting in cobham, is this weekend).

i'm hoping to explore kent if any one is interested as never done that area (and also want to cycle to bodium castle) -- but perhaps that is another thread.
  • NWLondoner
    Which part of London do you start from?

I was looking at doing the Surrey Rumble but no train service that Sunday so a no go for me :cry:
  • bikergirl17
    SW by the thames; i am about 5 miles from richmond park (priory lane entrance).

the SWRC is in leatherhead, and there is a train that will get in a bit before 9 ... may be a bit late at the start, but i always seem to be in the back on my own! so frustrating isn't it, all the sportives that can't do bc of trains not being early enough or engineering work/replacement buses. i have started to over-night to select ones but that gets very expensive.
  • NWLondoner
    i have started to over-night to select ones but that gets very expensive.

I have signed up for the Chiltern 100 and should be staying overnight in a hotel. But i never have a good nights sleep in hotels so may bail on this now :?
  • bikergirl17
    that's on my tentative calendar (really i just wrote down the sportives each weekend that were in reasonable distance or seemed like a cool place to go ... i like sight seeing on the saturday before) ... at this pt only signed up for white horse (which will also have to figure out overnight).
  • Toonraid
    You are on my way to Richmond Park. I usually cut across Hyde Park and make my way to King's Road, over the bridge to Putney and then go to park from Priory Lane via upper Richmond road. My better half will also appretiate some female company on the ride - should be a good day out. Neither of us are racers - more cruisers so if anyone is going to be dropped it will be us, neither of us have done any road cycling this year yet and have just done a few hrs a week at home on trainer. And now for the important bit - are there any Cappucino stops on Surrey Loop?

We will be up for Kent too but don't fancy cutting all the way across London on bike so will have to catch a train for that one. Planning to do London - Oxford over the following week (last weekend in March) so far we have 3 cruisers so if anyone interested then let me know.
  • bikergirl17
    starting to feel like am hijacking this thread ...

cafe stops: the traditional one is top of box hill run by the national trust. awesome home baked pastries but no indoor seating.

if you do want sit down, there is a faux western restaurant and a pub in box hill proper; there are a few gastropubs (it is surrey after all!) before you hit the hills (cobham, east clandon) -- but best to wait til box hill.

if you want to tackle a few more hills, options include shere (a lovely little cafe as well as a pub) and peaslake (small deli, popular with mt bikers). There are also pubs in Holmsbury and half way up (or down) Leith Hill, among other towns.

Def interested in ride to oxford; did it two years ago in a torrential downpour and recall it being largely flat. And I likely am slower than you and your wife-- do a lot of cycling but at a "touring" pace ... I can not figure out how the people on the richmond park challenge are getting around in sub 20 minute times -- for me, sub 25 minutes is a struggle.
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    i'm hoping to explore kent if any one is interested as never done that area (and also want to cycle to bodium castle) -- but perhaps that is another thread.

I've just sent you a PM if you're still looking at some Kent riding.
  • Toonraid
    And I likely am slower than you and your wife-- do a lot of cycling but at a "touring" pace ... I can not figure out how the people on the richmond park challenge are getting around in sub 20 minute times -- for me, sub 25 minutes is a struggle.

Says she who looks down on compacts!

I have kept an eye on the Richmond park challenge and intend to capture NWLondoners Lanterne Rouge title - let just say i have never been round 3 times let alone time it. But want to get in better shape as I will be doing a tour/loop of Gstaad/Lake geneva/Annecy in June so would be good to drag my rear end up some hills for starters (or learn to walk up in my cleats)

Which route did you take to Oxford - I suppose it would be considered flat by Contador, its only the chilterns afterall!

I have done it twice - once on MTB (yes Triple chainset) via marlow over the chilterns and through christmas common and down to watlington and on to steadhampton where i stayed at the Crazy bear (brill place). The second time was on racing bike (double - but i cheated as I had a 13/29 cassette which is actually easier than my 34/50 + 12/25) from Maida Vale through Harrow, Rickmansworth, Amersham, Princes Risborough, thame ... not a classic route but really nice once you get out of London with lots of nice little villages, a few hills and some fast quite roads thrown in to keep everyone happy.

PM sent
  • NWLondoner
    starting to feel like am hijacking this thread ...

cafe stops: the traditional one is top of box hill run by the national trust. awesome home baked pastries but no indoor seating.

if you do want sit down, there is a faux western restaurant and a pub in box hill proper; there are a few gastropubs (it is surrey after all!) before you hit the hills (cobham, east clandon) -- but best to wait til box hill.

if you want to tackle a few more hills, options include shere (a lovely little cafe as well as a pub) and peaslake (small deli, popular with mt bikers). There are also pubs in Holmsbury and half way up (or down) Leith Hill, among other towns.

Def interested in ride to oxford; did it two years ago in a torrential downpour and recall it being largely flat. And I likely am slower than you and your wife-- do a lot of cycling but at a "touring" pace ... I can not figure out how the people on the richmond park challenge are getting around in sub 20 minute times -- for me, sub 25 minutes is a struggle.

It is the climbs where you gain/loose time. Get up them quicker and still have enough in the legs to hammer it afterwards and you'll get the time down. Drying to get down Broomfield hill without touching the brakes would also help.
  • NWLondoner
    Toonraid wrote:

I have kept an eye on the Richmond park challenge and intend to capture NWLondoners Lanterne Rouge title -

Oi !!!

Leave my title alone LOL

It;s the only one i'm ever gonna have :roll:
  • bikergirl17
    i'm fine with the climbs, actually, as i am short and, before this winter, relatively light. i just can't keep up on the flats -- particularly that long stretch up to the slight climb before richmond gate. part of it is also that i don't particularly try too hard unless there is a poseur ironman-type out and i want to make him crack by being (nearly) passed by a girl.

on the original topic of surrey hills, i am seriously thinking of doing the cheam & morden 50K on saturday -- a circuit of 6 of the hills.
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    I'm heading down Surrey way on Sunday. Would like to do a nice 30-miler or so, taking in Box Hill. Anyone recommend any nice routes without anything too steep involved?

Cheers.
  • ketsbaia
    I'm heading down Surrey way on Sunday. Would like to do a nice 30-miler or so, taking in Box Hill. Anyone recommend any nice routes without anything too steep involved?

Cheers.
  • bobtbuilder
    ketsbaia wrote:

Cheers.

Where are you starting from / finishing?
  • ketsbaia
    Ah yes. There is that, isn't there? I'll be in Stoneleigh, but am happy to drive to a different starting point as long as there's parking.
  • bobtbuilder
    You could park at Box Hill and do a loop including Westhumble, Ranmore Common, Shere (Hound House Road), Peaslake (great village shop with cheese straws), Radnor Road, Abinger, then back to Ranmore Common via either Whitedowns (but this is nasty) or via Dorking (Ranmore Road - this is more of a drag), Westhumble and finish on Box Hill at the NT cafe.

I haven't worked out the distance of this, but once you reach Peaslake you can't really go wrong. All the roads are quiet and stunning around there. Some are in a shocking state though!
  • bikergirl17
    if you do want to do steep:

there is a £2 club ride doing a a somewhat harder route on saturday (boar hill and pitch hill to peaslake vs. saying on ranmore and white down on the way back; they are kindly skipping winterfold but do skirt right by it)

the cheam & morden hilly 50. cue sheet on the site.
    http://cheamandmordenhilly50.blogspot.com/

am signed up but wondering: (a) why am i paying to do a route i know (and hate) and (b) can i actually get up whitedown (or even boar hill) without falling over (likely not)
  • ketsbaia
    Looks interesting (although I don't really do or need steep), but I'm only around on Sunday.

Might try out the Boxhill, Westhumble, Shere, Radnor Common, Peaselake route, though. Time to fire up googlemaps, me thinks.
  • ketsbaia
    You could park at Box Hill and do a loop including Westhumble, Ranmore Common, Shere (Hound House Road), Peaslake (great village shop with cheese straws), Radnor Road, Abinger, then back to Ranmore Common via either Whitedowns (but this is nasty) or via Dorking (Ranmore Road - this is more of a drag), Westhumble and finish on Box Hill at the NT cafe.

I haven't worked out the distance of this, but once you reach Peaslake you can't really go wrong. All the roads are quiet and stunning around there. Some are in a shocking state though!

I don't suppose you've got a bikely or googlemaps link to this loop, have you? Only I'm looking at the map and wondering how on earth you do the loop you've described in order.
  • bobtbuilder
    ketsbaia wrote:

I don't suppose you've got a bikely or googlemaps link to this loop, have you? Only I'm looking at the map and wondering how on earth you do the loop you've described in order.

I'll knock something up at work today.
  • ketsbaia
    Brilliant. Thanks, mate. I look forward to it.
  • bobtbuilder
    ketsbaia wrote:
    Brilliant. Thanks, mate. I look forward to it.

Just saved it on Bikely. My ID is bobtbuilder, and the route is named Ketsbaia. The route comes in at 34 miles.

Enjoy! http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Kestbaia

However, the end bit is rubbish as it is on the hugely busy A24 from Dorking to Box Hill. I would suggest taking the much nicer option of Ranmore Common from Dorking (on the Bikley route, look for a road with RODMELL written on it. It's a long drag of a climb, but you will meet up with your outbound route on top of Ranmore Common and then you can do some of the ealy part of the ride in reverse until you get to the start of the Box Hill Climb.

Even better wopuld be the Whitedowns climb to take you back to Ranmore, but that is an 18% beast.