Surrey Hills questions

flix23
flix23 Posts: 72
Figured someone here will know; so, please...

Which Surrey Hills climb has the biggest altitude difference between bottom and top?

&

Which is the longest in terms of distance, (but still identifiable as a single climb)?

Thanks, F

Comments

• From the 3 hills route (Staple Lane, Crocknorth Rd, Box Hill) I'd say Box Hill for both. It gains about 125m over 2.5km.

Not sure if there's a climb with bigger altitude gain elsewhere though.
  • Just had a quick look on bikehike and looks like the road out of Shere beats BH. About 150m gained in 3.5km so I'll stop guessing now...
  • Cycling Plus did an article last year about a route in the Surrey Hills. The route included Box Hill, Holmbury Hill and Leith Hil.
  • flix23
    Thanks Big Red,

Presume that's heading south out of Shere up Pich Hill?
  • Not sure this fully answers question:

box hill longest w avg grade of ~5%
    leith hill seems second longest, depending on approach (if take pasture green for example) can be steeper than that
    combe lane, out from shere, is 15% at steepest but otherwise mild
    winterfold is 20% and the worst
    whitedown about 18%
    holmsbury and pitch likely 5 but have steeper bits depending on approach (if you come up Radnor from peaslake is always a joy)
    the route from the box hill train station up to ranmore is long and hits 15%
    the climb out of cold harbor is long and has no name and is quite steep in bits

on bikely you likely can find the Surrey legs of steel and Guildford challenge routes which include most of these (Guildford harder)
  • flix23
    Thanks, all useful info.

Basically I'm looking for the longer, steadier climbs, (very relative, I know in Surrey!) to use in training rides rather then some of the super-steep short climbs like White Down.

Sounds like the Boxhill station to Ranmore climb could be interesting.
  • If you want to string together a few, approach box hill from headley -- the steeper approach -- (or take train to Epsom and start there) go down zig zag and the up to ranmore.

Alternatively train to dorking, take that fun climb up to ranmore (now going down) and go
    up zig zag.

There's also a route called the ball buster which is basically hill repeats of box hill and ranmore. I may be wrong on the name ranmor -- it's the junction where st barnabas is (they do a good tea and cake one Sunday a month too)
  • Jeez I'm outta touch with the map - pls help me - There's a road just west of Dorking which starts from the A25 heading north up Ranmore which has 1 hair pin in it - a right which is really steep from the hairpin on. You pass a couple of WWII machine gun nests as you climb.

At the top you in a forest and you descend at first through the forest then you come to T junction - if you turn right you pass through Westhumble and the train station.

What hill is this?

thanks!
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • Jeez I'm outta touch with the map - pls help me - There's a road just west of Dorking which starts from the A25 heading north up Ranmore which has 1 hair pin in it - a right which is really steep from the hairpin on. You pass a couple of WWII machine gun nests as you climb.

At the top you in a forest and you descend at first through the forest then you come to T junction - if you turn right you pass through Westhumble and the train station.

What hill is this?

thanks!

whitedown by sounds of it.
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    Where is Staple Lane?

I ride the Surrey Hills a fair bit, but never figured out where this one is, although I have neard it mentioned a lot.
  • Where is Staple Lane?

I ride the Surrey Hills a fair bit, but never figured out where this one is, although I have neard it mentioned a lot.

As you come out of East Clandon and cross Epsom Road into Staple Lane. I always expect it to finish before it does, it goes on most of the way to Combe Lane.
  • I always used to get the train down to Effingham Junction and head down through East Clandon and up Staple Lane. Not very high and doesn't feel high either as it just rises up through the fields, but it does drag on a little and you do start form quite a low point.

Tend to do variations of the Legs of Steel route nowadays - it's all about Winterfold Hill. Try charging into that one at a high pace for a few miles beforehand and see how your legs feel at the top!
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    Big Red wrote:
    Where is Staple Lane?

As you come out of East Clandon and cross Epsom Road into Staple Lane. I always expect it to finish before it does, it goes on most of the way to Combe Lane.

Thanks - just found it on googlemaps. I haven't ever ridden that one. Must give it a try. What other Surrey Hills climbs does it compare to? Is it more like Dorking - Ranmore Common or Whitedowns?
  • gbs
    gbs Posts: 450
    Staple Lane is longer and has less vertical gain than Box Hill but seems more gruelling because it stretches out in a more or less straight line whereas BH has those beguiling hairpins and great views after the second bend.
    vintage newbie, spinning away
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    Here is something I started a while back... Surrey Hills Project
    Rich
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    Personally for length I like Abinger-Leath or Dorking/BoarHill-Coldharbour. And for steepness Whitedown or Horseblock Hollow.
    Rich
  • So glad to know boar hill has a name and is an official hill. That definitely is a workout (as usually hit it after hill top hill - pitch x 2 - holmsbury - whitedown - box hill - ranmore). Fond memories of summer and being fit!

I know I've done staple lane -- is that one of the approaches to leith hill or am I in the totally wrong place?
  • Can't edit prior post but saw someone answered that. It's called hill top hill, that annoying two part steady up that always looks like it should be easy but isn't.

To make it more fun go right when you get to the junction and down combe lane til hit shere and come back up.

I'm thinking of a steady and at one part steep approach to leith hill somewhere after ewhurst.
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    edited February 2010
    Can't believe nobodys mentioned Barhatch Lane yet, not especially long but 21% according to the sign.

Just found this site, http://www.jibbering.com/hills/
  • There's another 20%+ if instead of turning right to westhumble go
    left to polesdon lacey. Quick detour on way to box hill if you want to do steep climbs.
  • gbs
    gbs Posts: 450
    link will not work unless you edit the start to "http....."
    vintage newbie, spinning away
  • batch78 wrote:
    Can't believe nobodys mentioned Barhatch Lane yet, not especially long but 21% according to the sign.

Just found this site, [url=longhttp://www.jibbering.com/hills/]longhttp://www.jibbering.com/hills/[/url]

they have ;-) just by a different name namely Horse Block Hollow.
  • Barhatch Lane is the one that goes up Winterfold Hill that I was talking about too - definitely the hardest I've come across in Surrey.

In terms of long hills, I might give the one from Peaslake up to Winterfold a go (from the jibbering website above)
  • batch78 wrote:

Just found this site, [url=longhttp://www.jibbering.com/hills/]longhttp://www.jibbering.com/hills/[/url]

Think that's Winterfold as mentioned. It does deserve a special mention though.

I remember first time I did it, I got a good way up there, and it starts to flatten out. "That wasn't as bad as I thought" , before I get to a second sign that says 21%..... and you realise you haven't actually got to the steep bit yet.
  • five times up it -- literally fell over in cleats first two ... Have only made it up full stop last two. One hill that makes me consider getting a compact.
  • five times up it -- literally fell over in cleats first two ... Have only made it up full stop last two. One hill that makes me consider getting a compact.
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    Well that teaches me for posting at such a late hour without paying full attention! :wink:

There's certainly enough in the locale to string together a reasonably impressive hilly ride.

Stick with it bikergirl it'll only get easier.
  • birdy247
    birdy247 Posts: 454
    Do you guys think it will be ok to ride the hills tomorrow morning around 9ish, or do you think there will be ice? Went out last week and hit sheet ice, cant take another fall!
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    The hills should be fine. Weather been in double digits with no sign of frost overnight.

Am planning to get the train from Waterloo to Clandon tomorrow morning and doing a nice 80-120k ride 8)
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    Hills were fine.

Apart from LOTS of pot holes, ruts, mud and many of the road surfaces braking up.

Got a sodding p*ncture 1km on from Box Hill :x A large piece of white stone in my front tyre. Thankfully heard the air rushing out so managed to pull over into a pub car park to fix before an accident occurred