Suffolk Sunrise 100

Gav888
Gav888 Posts: 946
Hi,

Is anyone taking part in the Suffolk Sunrise 100 this year?

Details here - http://www.action.org.uk/get_involved/s ... unrise_100
Cycling never gets any easier, you just go faster - Greg LeMond

Comments

• gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    I am interested but not too impressed about the fact that it costs £25 to enter and then you need to raise an additional £25 for Medical Research. I don't mind giving to chairty but I don't want it to be an obligation.

£50 is quite steep when I could be doing the MagnifiCAT for £29 all in.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Hope to be on it again this year Gav, might be interested in meeting up again if you like. Some of my club mates might be interested as well so we could have a little group ride to make it a bit quicker(defo sub 6hr this year)
    TBH Gabriell959 they don't push the sponsership too much, you could in theory not raise the money as they don't require it in advance and they don't hassle you afterwards for it. Its a very nice ride by the way over undulating countryside, you never seem to be climbing very hard but never seem to be tanking along on the flat either. I would advise riding with someone as it only has a max of 400 odd riders over 2 courses and it can get a bit lonely in some parts.
  • I will be there Gavalar!!!!!!!!!!
  • Gav888
    Gabriell959 - Dont worry to much about the sponsorship, as markos1963 said, they dont hassle you for the money. I know someone that did it last year and just paid the entry fee and didn't raise any sponsorship. They didnt chase him for it either.... obviously im saying do that but its been done in the past :wink:

markos1963 - Yep, it would be good to meet up again, im doing the 100 this year with some guys I ride with at weekends, so if youve got some guys aswell it will be a big old group, hopefully break 6hrs :)

orbeaorca - Si, thats got to be you.... LOL what happened to your old id?
  • Gav888 wrote:

Yep, it's me :D

Forgot all my old details so started again

So far we have Nick, Neil, Nigel, yourself, me and potentially John and Mahen and I think Nicks brother. So sure will be a nice group at the start.
  • Gav888
    Nice one, hopefully if markos can get his boys together we will have our own peleton 8)

But one thing, lets try and start together this year, hey Si :)
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    B*ll*x!... I'm away working again, this year... FFS!
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • Gav888 wrote:
    Nice one, hopefully if markos can get his boys together we will have our own peloton 8)

What time are you planning to start? I spoke to Nick about this out on the last ride and he is up for an early one which is what I would rather do .. Start about 6am and be home by midday :D
  • Gav888
    orbeaorca wrote:
    Gav888 wrote:
    Nice one, hopefully if markos can get his boys together we will have our own peloton 8)

What time are you planning to start? I spoke to Nick about this out on the last ride and he is up for an early one which is what I would rather do .. Start about 6am and be home by midday :D

That is early, but I dont mind early starts but what about you markos, do you think you could get to Woodbridge for a 6am start?
  • markos1963
    Blimey, that means eating breakfast at 4am and getting there to sign on. I might be ok but some of the others might be less enthusiastic.

I could always start at 8am and catch you on the road :lol::wink:
  • orbeaorca wrote:
    Gav888 wrote:

So far we have Nick, Neil, Nigel, yourself, me and potentially John and Mahen and I think Nicks brother. So sure will be a nice group at the start.

I'll be there as well. Shame the ferry bit has been knocked off the route. It was riding alongside Si's bike for the ferry leg last year that helped persuade me to get an Onix in the summer.

Hopefully, I won't be suffering from a week of the trots beforehand this time round :shock:

John
  • Rezillo wrote:
    orbeaorca wrote:
    Gav888 wrote:

I'll be there as well. Shame the ferry bit has been knocked off the route. It was riding alongside Si's bike for the ferry leg last year that helped persuade me to get an Onix in the summer.

Hopefully, I won't be suffering from a week of the trots beforehand this time round :shock:

John

How are you getting on with the Onix? Upgraded the wheels on my Orca now but haven't had the weather to ride it yet.
    Hopefully you will have a better week before the ride this year :D
    I have 500k of riding in Wales in the days running up to the Sunrise to get me in shape
  • orbeaorca wrote:
    How are you getting on with the Onix? Upgraded the wheels on my Orca now but haven't had the weather to ride it yet.

Love it although like your Orca I haven't taken it out in the recent weather. All I can do is gaze at it in awe.

I've changed the bars for more rigid shallow drops and was not impressed with the Aksium wheels it came with - they look great but the rear had uneven spoke tension, tinkling spokes under load and went slightly out of true. Shop fixed the alignment but tinkling and tension issues didn't go away.

I've having some more robust Ultegra/Open Pro wheels built which although a bit heavier will be better suited to the rougher uneven surfaces of the lanes near me.

John
  • Gav888
    Rezillo wrote:
    orbeaorca wrote:
    Gav888 wrote:

John

Glad the ferry has gone to be honest, although it was nice to have a rest from trying to keep up with markos :) we stood there over an hour and it was bloody cold... couldnt wait to get riding again to warm up!!
  • Gav888 wrote:
    Rezillo wrote:
    orbeaorca wrote:
    Gav888 wrote:

John

Glad the ferry has gone to be honest, although it was nice to have a rest from trying to keep up with markos :) we stood there over an hour and it was bloody cold... couldnt wait to get riding again to warm up!!

No rest this year Gavalar :D
  • markos1963
    The ferry crossing was a big downer and TBH I would have considered giving it a miss this year if it had been in. Mind you it was about the only place I saw any large numbers of cyclists in one place!(apart from club of about 20 riders who I dropped coming out of Dunnich)
  • ferry1.jpg

Queue wasn't that long when we arrived. :)

John
  • markos1963
    We (me and Gav) would have been there about an hour earlier if we hadn't wasted half an hour looking for Si and taking a longer route around the mean streets of Felixstowe :lol:
  • Rezillo wrote:
    ferry1.jpg

Queue wasn't that long when we arrived. :)

John

There was a cute blonde on a Cervelo in there somewhere :)
  • Gav888
    markos1963 wrote:
    We (me and Gav) would have been there about an hour earlier if we hadn't wasted half an hour looking for Si and taking a longer route around the mean streets of Felixstowe :lol:

LOL well said, plus we wanted to take the long route to make it harder... remember :wink:
  • BMX Bear
    BMX Bear Posts: 198
    A few of us are doing it agin this year. Going for an early start again, enjoyed it last year even if I rode the last 48 miles on my own!
    www.icenivelo.co.uk - Norfolks most inclusive cycling club
  • markos1963
    BMX Bear wrote:
    A few of us are doing it agin this year. Going for an early start again, enjoyed it last year even if I rode the last 48 miles on my own!

It was quite a loney ride for me after Gav had split away. Felt like I should have put my TT bars on and ground out the remaining 60 miles. Its funny I actually got very despondant at around 85 miles as I was so alone and only perked up when I started catching some others up.
  • markos1963
    Gav & Si, it looks like there will be three of us from my club taking part. Any arrangments yet for start time etc.? Not too early I hope, its nearly 2 hours driving from where we live.
  • Gav888
    edited April 2010
    Not sure what is planned yet but to be honest I doubt I will be doing the 100 now, im now on my 6th cold this year and im seriously behind on my training to get up to 100 miles.... Ive got next week off and planned to get in 3 long rides to help for May, but instead im going to be resting all week :(

Don't know if you want to arrange something with Si and I will fit in if I can.
  • Afternoon,

Myself and a few other from our club are taking part for the first time. We're using it as training for the Les Trois Ballon sportive in June which i am so under-trained for.

Is there anything we want to be looking out for on the ride?

We did the Norwich 100 last year in what can only be described as monsoon conditions so if it can just stay dry, i think we'll be ok.
    History will be kind to me for i intend to write it!

Fortune Favours the Bold!
  • orbeaorca
    orbeaorca Posts: 246
    dinsdale81 wrote:
    Afternoon,

Myself and a few other from our club are taking part for the first time. We're using it as training for the Les Trois Ballon sportive in June which i am so under-trained for.

We did the Norwich 100 last year in what can only be described as monsoon conditions so if it can just stay dry, i think we'll be ok.

Nothing to look out for really, its a very flat route.
    If the weather isn't good it can be a bit rough going towards the coast at dunwich.
  • markos1963
    dinsdale81 wrote:
    Afternoon,

Look out for the signage, I thought it was pretty poor last year. Ended up doing an extra 7 miles due to missing a sign buried in a hedge. Nice route though and not hilly, some of the roads are tiny in places and large groups might have a problem keeping together but other than that its ok.
  • Thanks for the info. We ride most of these roads on the Sunday run anyway so nothing should catch us out too much. I will definately tke note of the signage issue though.

I've got to be honest, i haven't raised any sponsorship yet. The only issue is that i have already done a sponsored ride this year and feel i might be pushing my luck a little bit by asking for more. If it comes down to it, i will fork out the £25 myself but then turn the Suffolk Sunrise into one of the most expensive sportives going.

I noticed a few people have mentioned leaing qute early and getting back for midday. I haven't actually received any e-mails from th organisers to say otherwise but i'm guessing you can start whenever you like after a given time?

Should i have received an e-mail by now?
    History will be kind to me for i intend to write it!

Fortune Favours the Bold!
  • orbeaorca
    orbeaorca Posts: 246
    dinsdale81 wrote:
    Thanks for the info. We ride most of these roads on the Sunday run anyway so nothing should catch us out too much. I will definitely tke note of the signage issue though.

I've got to be honest, i haven't raised any sponsorship yet. The only issue is that i have already done a sponsored ride this year and feel i might be pushing my luck a little bit by asking for more. If it comes down to it, i will fork out the £25 myself but then turn the Suffolk Sunrise into one of the most expensive sportives going.

I noticed a few people have mentioned leaing qute early and getting back for midday. I haven't actually received any e-mails from th organisers to say otherwise but i'm guessing you can start whenever you like after a given time?

Should i have received an e-mail by now?

Leave when you want to as far as I am aware, last year the organisers did say that they would operate a fastest riders leave first policy but this never happened.
    It was always a good idea to leave early in the past to avoid long waits at the ferry but as this has been excluded this year that's not an issue.
  • Gav888
    dinsdale81 wrote:
    Thanks for the info. We ride most of these roads on the Sunday run anyway so nothing should catch us out too much.

If you ride these roads on a Sunday why not come out with us lot ,we also ride these roads on a Sunday :)