squeaky turbo

ravey1981
ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
Ok so I've just dusted off the old turbo trainer and mounted up the spare bike. Its an old tacx mag trainer that I've had for donkeys years but rarely used. The problem is that the tyre is squeaking on the roller, caused I think by it slipping rather than gripping the roller.

To stop this I have to adjust the roller so it is deforming the tyre quite a lot. The only adjustment is via a knob which screws the roller mechanism up and down. Bearing in mind that my tyre is pumped up pretty hard, how much should the roller push into the tyre?

Any advice appreciated

Comments

• Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Mine did the same thing, so I had to adjust the tyre pressure and resistance to get it right.
    Depends on your weight, if you stand up for sprints etc. but it's Trail and Error for me.
    Slick road tyre better than slick MTB, bit quieter/smoother all-round.

Mine leaked fluid from the inside, and it then sounded like Concorde at JFK.
    Having seen/heard Concorde taking off at JFK in '95, I know what I'm on about.

Bought new one, but it's noisier, so I'm banned to the back room/gym now!
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    Yep I'm using a road bike on it, I'll have a play with the settings and see what I can do...i have a couple of spare tyres which i might try and see if that makes a difference.

Cheers