Indoor/Outdoor Power readings!

2»

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    chrisw12 wrote:
    Not so fast tiger.

Calibration is slightly differeent depending on which model of powertap your are using iirc. There's a difference between wired and wireless modles. Best do some reading perhaps.

I'm not so sure that the newer wireless ones need this calibration at the start of every ride. I do it mostly anyway, but when I haven't bothered I've SEEN no differences. Auto zero should pick up problems anyway unless the zeroing is way out. :?:

At the moment Hopper is using wired, like mine.

When not zeroing the readings can go astray quite a bit as I found out to my detriment when I resumed riding after breaking my leg and had forgotten about it!!
  • chrisw12 wrote:
    Not so fast tiger.

Calibration is slightly differeent depending on which model of powertap your are using iirc. There's a difference between wired and wireless modles. Best do some reading perhaps.

I'm not so sure that the newer wireless ones need this calibration at the start of every ride. I do it mostly anyway, but when I haven't bothered I've SEEN no differences. Auto zero should pick up problems anyway unless the zeroing is way out. :?:
    The auto zero function will reset the torque zero with a period of coasting, provided the torque zero setting is not too far out of spec to start with. If it is too far out of spec, then the auto zero function does not work.

Just do a quick manual torque zero before every ride, it only takes a few seconds and ensures that the chance of errors creeping into your data is significantly reduced.
  • hopper1 wrote:
    Ok, guys... I'll zero the Powertap directly before I start my rides.
    I wasn't thinking of any other outside interferences.

Oh... When you say 'zero', you're referring to 'clearing' the powertap:
    <clr> ?
    No. We mean resetting the zero point of torque readings from the hub.

An analogy:

Use bathroom scales to weight yourself?

Most scales need to have the zero reading checked, because if the scale says 3kg when there is nothing on it, then when you stand on the scales it will read 3kg too high.

it's the same for the torque data from your hub - the zero point needs to be checked and reset.