The Condor experience

13»

Comments

• Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    I suppose so, but would be great to know if there is one shop in central London that loads of people rate highly.
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    Sewinman wrote:
    I suppose so, but would be great to know if there is one shop in central London that loads of people rate highly.

John Lewis.

It's just a pity they don't sell bike stuff.
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    Coriander wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:

John Lewis.

It's just a pity they don't sell bike stuff.

Ha ha! :lol:
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Coriander wrote:
    biondino wrote:
    Acciaio, means "steel", pronounced "atch-EYE-oh". Hope this helps :)

Where's your double consonant, hey, Blondie?

The "t" and the "ch" sounds in my phoneticisation act as a double consonant. "Atch-cheye-oh" doesn't work - say it out loud :)
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    edited February 2010
    biondino wrote:
    Coriander wrote:
    biondino wrote:

The "t" and the "ch" sounds in my phoneticisation act as a double consonant. "Atch-cheye-oh" doesn't work - say it out loud :)

But then you're missing the 'chee' sound. For my ear, anyway.

Isn't it better as 'Ach-chee-EYE-oh'?

Edit: this is running around in my head (yes, I do need to get a life, and that happens Tuesday of next week), how about 'Ac-TCHAI-oh'?
  • Maybe my Forum name gives away my answer? I'm afraid all my bikes are Condors and, yes, I do get asked how I am, how are the bikes etc. but that's usually only by Grant as I don't recognise most of the staff these days. It can be a bit hit and miss at lunchtime but if I want to pick their brains or ask loads of questions then I go at a quieter time. I guess if you want the "supermarket" till experience then go to Evans.

For what it's worth they're not the perfect bike shop (if such a thing exists) but they're the best that I've experienced so far. They also seem to get their fair share of nutters who expect them to have some obscure part for a bike that stopped being manufactured 50 years ago.
    Condor Pista
    50x16
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Also... you'll get a better service if you come in with one of their bikes that needs work rather than a falling apart BSO
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Also... you'll get a better service if you come in with one of their bikes that needs work rather than a falling apart BSO

Aye. If you believe that when you buy cheapie brake blocks for your decrept BSO you will receive the same level of service as some one who has bought one of their own bikes you are indeed naive. Sure they should be polilte and courteous, but no business is going to invest more time or resources in a customer who is never going to spend more than £1.80 every two years. Large businesses spend millions every year targetting their most profitable customers.

I'm seldom able to visit Condor having moved away from London some years ago, but I still try and make an annual pilgrimage or if I need a decent wheel build I make a special journey. I have never had one of Monty's wheels fail or go out of true.

Condor seems to be a victim of it's own success. People want supermarket style service and yet want it to retain it's independent unique character. I'm sure if Grant wanted to set up a few others stores in London they would be a great success.

On the occasions I have been in there the staff have always been very helpful and patient. Special praise to Greg if he is still there. Let's face it could anyone on here last more than one busy morning facing some of the muppets that go in there wanting the Earth and the Universe but only willing to pay £2.99!!

If you can avoid the busy times then obviously they will have more time to chat with you.

Some of their stuff is horrendously expensive, but then Pro or wanabee Pro cycling is. I just don't bother looking at it anymore. But they still have lots of other stuff that is slightly more affordable.

Must visit now they have had the re-fit.

Ps I have used Evans as well to buy bikes and my experienes with them have on the whole been just as good as Condor. The small Evans Holborn branch when it first opened was brilliant as the asst manager was a genuine bike nut first and foremost. I bought my Spec Sirrus and first Brommie from them in 02/04. I re-visited last year and like everything things change and he had moved on. The atmosphere was quite different, the staff appeared remarkably disinterested in and ignorant of bikes so I didn't dwell too long ........

Instead I found the Evans at St. Pauls pretty good owing to a Belgian guy working there who again was first and foremost a bike nut who didn't try to rip you off and then Evan's biggish underground shop near Liverpool Street station, Spittalfields I think, is okish for their large range although the serice is a bit iffy.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    dilemna wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

Aye. If you believe that when you buy cheapie brake blocks for your decrept BSO you will receive the same level of service as some one who has bought one of their own bikes you are indeed naive. Sure they should be polilte and courteous, but no business is going to invest more time or resources in a customer who is never going to spend more than £1.80 every two years. Large businesses spend millions every year targetting their most profitable customers.

Once again you amaze me.

I role up in a shop on my BSO or my Giant SCR 3 or better yet my faded jeans and hood. I don't look like a cyclist, I don't even look like I would ride a road bike, let alone get a geek-on for a carbon fibre bike.

In my back pocket is more than 2grand as I'm planning to buy said carbon bike.

Well I guess that's that shops loss then. Point is don't make judgements of your customers. That's like retail 101.

"The best sales in the jewllers (when I was at Uni) wasn't made to the guy in a suit who already had a rolex. It was to the scruffy looking guy who wanted one."
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    dilemna wrote:

My advice to you, Dilemma, is never set up a retail business if you really believe what you just said! Customer 'profiling' is not to my knowledge a successfully used "science" in retail: unless you are dealing with a well known timewaster you need to treat every customer in pretty much the same manner.
  • dilemna
    edited February 2010
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    dilemna wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

Once again you amaze me.

I role up in a shop on my BSO or my Giant SCR 3 or better yet my faded jeans and hood. I don't look like a cyclist, I don't even look like I would ride a road bike, let alone get a geek-on for a carbon fibre bike.

Well I guess that's that shops loss then. Point is don't make judgements of your customers. That's like retail 101.

"The best sales in the jewllers (when I was at Uni) wasn't made to the guy in a suit who already had a rolex. It was to the scruffy looking guy who wanted one."

That's because I'm amazing.

You sound like a NED or druggie riding/walking the streets of Clerkenwell with £2k in your back pocket :lol: .
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
  • dilemna
    Paulie W wrote:
    dilemna wrote:

My advice to you, Dilemma, is never set up a retail business if you really believe what you just said! Customer 'profiling' is not to my knowledge a successfully used "science" in retail: unless you are dealing with a well known timewaster you need to treat every customer in pretty much the same manner.

You need to expand your knowledge then.

I also direct you to re-read my post paying particular attention when you come to this part,
    Sure they should be polilte and courteous [to all customers], but no business is going to invest more time or resources in a customer who is never going to spend more than £1.80 every two years. Large businesses spend millions every year targetting their most profitable customers.
  • Bikequin
    Bikequin Posts: 402
    I can't say I've bought anything from Condor myself - but my dad has bought two bikes there over the last 4 years and can't stop raving about them. Also their bike are gorgeous.

That said I bought my last bike in evans (as thats where our firm has its ride to work scheme). I've had excellent service in Evans too altough at the weekends I've been forced to wait at the tills for a while when buying small items.

If you want really hit and miss service then head over the Sigma Sports - when I bought my new helmet in their last year I got great service but other times I've been in their I've been completely ignored.

I guess as most people have pointed out its down to which sales staff are around when you go in - and also how much they've had to drink the night before etc etc.
    You'll not see nothing like the mighty Quin.
  • DonDaddyD
    edited February 2010
    dilemna wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    dilemna wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

Once again you amaze me.

You sound like a NED or druggie riding/walking the streets of Clerkenwell with £2k in your back pocket :lol: .

Edit....
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • andrewc3142
    andrewc3142 Posts: 906
    edited February 2010
    I got the Accaciaio

Nice choice indeed. I have the blue one from couple of years back, with 105 groupset (and a Brooks Swallow). With an SQR Slim bag makes a brilliant commuter (30 miles in),

Pretty fast, very comfortable and solid enough.

PS. On topic, yes, great shop and fairly near where I work in Wigmore St. Also bought my fixed in there and am eyeing up the Heritage for my wife, who needs to lug loads of stuff around.

Only issue I have with them is they don't sell Kool Stops for some reason.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    dilemna wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    dilemna wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

Once again you amaze me.

You really are a prick.

you got sand in your vag!na?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • DonDaddyD
    edited February 2010
    Clever Pun wrote:

you got sand in your vag!na?

It's been two days. That's quite bad for me...
    Food Chain number = 4

• biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Coriander wrote:
    biondino wrote:
    Coriander wrote:
    biondino wrote:

But then you're missing the 'chee' sound. For my ear, anyway.

Isn't it better as 'Ach-chee-EYE-oh'?

Edit: this is running around in my head (yes, I do need to get a life, and that happens Tuesday of next week), how about 'Ac-TCHAI-oh'?

Nope. The "cci" bit of the word creates a simple "ch" sound but slightly elongated. There no "ack" sound in there and DEFINITELY no "chee" sound!
  • Paulie W
    dilemna wrote:
    Paulie W wrote:
    dilemna wrote:

I also direct you to re-read my post paying particular attention when you come to this part,
    Sure they should be polilte and courteous [to all customers], but no business is going to invest more time or resources in a customer who is never going to spend more than £1.80 every two years. Large businesses spend millions every year targetting their most profitable customers.

I'm just interested in how a bike shop assistant is able to make an informed decision about how much time he/she should invest in a customer. There is a school of thought that says that you should be investing your time and effort in anyone but the person who has already spent big money in your shop.
  • Paulie W
    dilemna wrote:
    Paulie W wrote:
    dilemna wrote:

I'm just interested in how a bike shop assistant is able to make an informed decision about how much time he/she should invest in a customer. There is a school of thought that says that you should be investing your time and effort in anyone but the person who has already spent big money in your shop.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Paulie W wrote:
    dilemna wrote:
    Paulie W wrote:
    dilemna wrote:

There is an element of trying to pick and choose which custonmers you serve when you work in a shop. I used to work in a photographty specialist shop a long while ago and you could tell by looking that some people were in to buy an expensive video camera or SLR whereas others were just in for a roll of 35mm Kodak (back in the day) . What's more would waste your time discussing the merits of 200ASA over 400ASA for 30 mins before buying a single roll. So certainly you want to bag the big sales yourself and you try to judge who you think is going to be a big spender and at the same time try to limit the time you spend with time wasters in a busy shop.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Paulie W
    There is an element of trying to pick and choose which custonmers you serve when you work in a shop. I used to work in a photographty specialist shop a long while ago and you could tell by looking that some people were in to buy an expensive video camera or SLR whereas others were just in for a roll of 35mm Kodak (back in the day) . What's more would waste your time discussing the merits of 200ASA over 400ASA for 30 mins before buying a single roll. So certainly you want to bag the big sales yourself and you try to judge who you think is going to be a big spender and at the same time try to limit the time you spend with time wasters in a busy shop.

OK, but if you worked for me, I'd be doing my best to remove that kind of attitude because frankly I dont think you're necessarily in the best position to judge who is going to spend what and when (particularly if you are thinking about commission). The guy buying the film might be in next week to buy the SLR, particularly if he thinks he's been well treated.

To get this back on to bike shops if not specifically Condor my experience of bike shops is that I have had more more so-so, indifferent or bad experiences with staff, owners, etc than I have memorably good ones. I have been someone with 3-4 grand in my pocket who has been more or less ignored; I've been someone who wants to just get a tube or a tyre iron or something and has not been able to get some pretty general advice/opinion; I've also been someone who has spent several thousand pounds on a bike and then not really been given the time of day when I've wanted to sort out a minor fault on that bike a few days later. These were all different shops. I've had similar prepronderance of negative/indifferent experiences in electrical stores and computer shops but not when shopping for clothes or shoes for example.

It could just be me but I think customer service in bike shops is at the lower end of the scale across the board - which at one level is surprising given that outside of places like Evans most are small businesses. At another level, it isnt surprising since they are generally populated by a particular breed of 20 somethings with an attitude. Rant over!!
  • DonDaddyD
    edited February 2010
    Paulie W wrote:

OK, but if you worked for me, I'd be doing my best to remove that kind of attitude because frankly I dont think you're necessarily in the best position to judge who is going to spend what and when (particularly if you are thinking about commission). The guy buying the film might be in next week to buy the SLR, particularly if he thinks he's been well treated.

+1!
    Food Chain number = 4

• Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Paulie W wrote:

To get this back on to bike shops if not specifically Condor my experience of bike shops is that I have had more more so-so, indifferent or bad experiences with staff, owners, etc than I have memorably good ones. I have been someone with 3-4 grand in my pocket who has been more or less ignored; I've been someone who wants to just get a tube or a tyre iron or something and has not been able to get some pretty general advice/opinion; I've also been someone who has spent several thousand pounds on a bike and then not really been given the time of day when I've wanted to sort out a minor fault on that bike a few days later. These were all different shops. I've had similar prepronderance of negative/indifferent experiences in electrical stores and computer shops but not when shopping for clothes or shoes for example.

It could just be me but I think customer service in bike shops is at the lower end of the scale across the board - which at one level is surprising given that outside of places like Evans most are small businesses. At another level, it isnt surprising since they are generally populated by a particular breed of 20 somethings with an attitude. Rant over!!

Many retailers encourage this by offering staff commission on big sales, so of course shop assistants are going to try to target high rollers. I know that we would get good commission if we managed to flog a top of the range vid camera or SLR so why waste your time yakking to some guy who's in for a roll of Kodak for his cr@ppy little compact. OK if the shop's empty spend some time talking, but on a busy Saturday, you just don't need that. Some customers don't get that when it's busy you haven't got time to waste.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    I must be lucky in that i've yet to expreience bad bike shop service.

Condor, Cycle Surgery Chalk Farm, BLB, Evans Chalk Farm, Evans Spitalfields. Never had any reason to complain about any of them.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • DonDaddyD
    I've had both bad and great experiences in bike shops.

The bad experiences tend to be of the same nature. Uninterested staff for whatever the reason might be. Or given bad advice.

Of the good shops it's often something really small, but service that is so good and helpful it leads to me spending much much more later on. It's almost like grooming
    Food Chain number = 4