The Condor experience

Comments

• Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    edited February 2010
    I'll add the only time I went to Condor to buy some bits I ended up putting them back and walking out as did about 5 others whilst I was there.

Shocking customer service and when you can't even be bothered to come to the tills instead of piss balling about to take payment it says something .

I knew then why I spent my lunch hours buying online.
  • StuAff wrote:
    So, wait, there is a shop out there with staff who get more excited when a customer talks about spending two grand on a bike than when someone comes in and asks about a replacement gear cable?

Shocking. Lets all slag them off.

There is another view. Someone buys a gear cable or other small part, wants a niggle sorted.... Gets good & helpful service. Thinks 'I'll get my next service done there'....and so on. Just because you don't want to buy the uberbike today, doesn't mean you won't a few weeks/months/years down the line. I haven't bought anything major from Velocity, but they've had £1k+ business from me in the last year on servicing and small parts because of their friendly, quality service. If/when I get a Maxima or equivalent (OK, when....) they're going to be first choice.

+1.

It's the little details in life that count.

Of course you expect good customer service when making a major purchase, but when somebody goes out of their way to help you for something little then you really remember it. If I treated my clients in the same way I'd be fired.
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    I have to say my one experience of Condor was good, and a refreshing change from my LBS, where, having spent in the region of 10k in there over the years still got shockingly bad service.

TBH I don't want fantastic service when I'm buying a gear cable, i just want to hand over my money and walk out with the cable. If I'm spending a significant amount on a bike I at least expect it to fit properly, and to have some choice over the contact points. I mean a wrongly sized saddle, bars or stem can ruin your enjoyment of a perfectly good bike. i had that choice at Condor, when I spent twice as much on the Madone i was expected to buy a different part if that was what I felt was required, and if it proved to wrong then tough, even though Bontrager produce all the finishing kit in a range of sizes that could be fitted at the point of sale. That's the reason i rate Condor

Don't even get me started on Evans, there are some good guys working for them. I ride with some of their mechanics. On the whole their salesmen are the biggest bunch of condascending w******** I've ever met and I never use them unless it's an emergency
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • georgee
    georgee Posts: 537
    I tried to buy a bike from them, awful service, I ended up walking out of the shop, thank god for de vere down in South London
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Coriander wrote:
    Coriander wrote:
    My experience of Condor is the same as Lit's - if you're not an obvious lean mean racing type who will spend lots and knows all there is to know then they are dismissive, snotty and uninterested.

Evans, however, whatever everyone says about them, are always uber-helpful and friendly to me.

I think some Evanseseseses are good and some bad. The one just north of Oxford street near the BT tower is a bad one, super-dismissive hipster dudes who actually work with one jeans leg rolled up. The one at victoria is a good one, friendly, helpful, chatty staff. Same for the one at fulham, even if the guy who sorted out my old fixie did sellotape his number to the underside of my saddle.

You've got to admire initiative. :)

'twas v funny. Took me a couple of weeks to notice it was there though.

and you probably called him straight away when you noticed :lol::D:o
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    This is one instance when a poll might be useful, just to see who rates Condor's service and who's experience is usually a negative one.
  • Coriander wrote:
    This is one instance when a poll might be useful, just to see who rates Condor's service and who's experience is usually a negative one.

Agreed, it would be interesting. Rich, care to edit?
  • gabriel959 wrote:
    Coriander wrote:
    Coriander wrote:
    My experience of Condor is the same as Lit's - if you're not an obvious lean mean racing type who will spend lots and knows all there is to know then they are dismissive, snotty and uninterested.

Evans, however, whatever everyone says about them, are always uber-helpful and friendly to me.

I think some Evanseseseses are good and some bad. The one just north of Oxford street near the BT tower is a bad one, super-dismissive hipster dudes who actually work with one jeans leg rolled up. The one at victoria is a good one, friendly, helpful, chatty staff. Same for the one at fulham, even if the guy who sorted out my old fixie did sellotape his number to the underside of my saddle.

You've got to admire initiative. :)

'twas v funny. Took me a couple of weeks to notice it was there though.

and you probably called him straight away when you noticed :lol::D:o

Yes, of course I did... oh, no, hang on....
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    I've always had good service in Condor.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Acciaio, means "steel", pronounced "atch-EYE-oh". Hope this helps :)
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Condor has come up on a few threads recently and I've mentioned my experiences there before.

It has been very mixed for me. The one time I went in to look at bikes they were pretty helpful but I have spent a fair amount in there over the years as it's my LBS from work and sometimes they're good other times they're not.

I have been in for spokes several times when I get the occasional snap. I usually don't know what size spoke I need so they measure my wheel up. Only about twice out of 5 or 6 times have they actually got the right spoke size for me. One time I showed the chap there that the spoke on my rear wheel, drive side was broken so he promptly set about measuring the non drive side and I had to explain to him that they were different lengths on each side...

Another time I went in for new tyres and spoke to a really helpful bloke. However generally they don't have enough staff manning the tills so even if you're going in for a packet of puncture patches, expect to wait/queue a good 15-20 mins before you actually get to pay and go...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • The few times I've been in they've been sweet - particularly the nice lady who I had a long chat with about doing the Etape. Irony is I've never spent a penny with them. Maybe its only the actual paying customers who merit the full snotty treatment.
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    The few times I've been in they've been sweet - particularly the nice lady who I had a long chat with about doing the Etape. Irony is I've never spent a penny with them. Maybe its only the actual paying customers who merit the full snotty treatment.

That's part of the problem with the delay in just running in and getting something small, they do appear to spend time standing yakking to (regular?) customers sometimes whilst the queue files almost to the door...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689

That's part of the problem with the delay in just running in and getting something small, they do appear to spend time standing yakking to (regular?) customers sometimes whilst the queue files almost to the door...

THIS.

Also if you look the part (svelte, hipster, enter the store with a bike or wearing/carrying some bike paraphernalia), or look like you have money to burn the staff will be very attentative.

If you're me, in day clothes you can walk around the store for 45mins without one staff member acknowledging your existence. Indicate you're interested in buying bike and the service will be top notch. Anything other than wanting to buy a bike (still looking like me - a man of advancing size) and staff aren't that helpful.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Rich158
    Coriander wrote:

Agreed, it would be interesting. Rich, care to edit?

Poll now added, any other options people want?
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Can be a bit hit and miss.

There's a couple of people in there that are very good. I got helmet and shoes in there.
    Paid over the odds, but the info and help was worth it.

Been in at other times and struggled to get any help.
    Not a place to pick-up a few bits. Sometimes half hour wait at the tills.
    exercise.png
  • Coriander
    Aren't option 2 and 3 essentially the same?
  • biondino wrote:
    ... "atch-EYE-oh"...

Bless you!
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    ctc members get a 10% discount just so you know
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • biondino
    They were uninterested and slow at the till when I went in there. Can't shake the feeling that too many of them are cynical ex-hipsters who dislike cyclists.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I think that the reoccuring theme of long queues and being judged as to how much of a cyclist we are/how likely a serious sale. Is a concern.

But then if I went into a Supermarket would the service there be any better or more personable than the local shop I live near who truly values my custom?

I think not.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    I tell you what would be a useful poll - list all the central London shops...and I mean proper central London (i.e. Victoria to Tower Bridge) and have a poll on which is best.

I would do it but a) I do not know how, and b) I am not sure of all the shops....

Cyclesurgery
    Condor
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Also if you look the part (svelte, hipster, enter the store with a bike or wearing/carrying some bike paraphernalia), or look like you have money to burn the staff will be very attentative.
    I dunno. You guys have seen how I often dress onm the bike. Hardly what anyone in their right mind would call stylish - but I've generally just had good experiences at Condor. And it isn't that I pretend to want to spend money - the most pricey item I've ever bought from there was a pair of 3/4 legwarmers!
  • Roastie wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I dunno. You guys have seen how I often dress onm the bike. Hardly what anyone in their right mind would call stylish - but I've generally just had good experiences at Condor. And it isn't that I pretend to want to spend money - the most pricey item I've ever bought from there was a pair of 3/4 legwarmers!

and he's butt ugly too... surprised they don't throw him out to stop scaring the other customers...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Rich158
    Sewinman wrote:
    I tell you what would be a useful poll - list all the central London shops...and I mean proper central London (i.e. Victoria to Tower Bridge) and have a poll on which is best.

I would do it but a) I do not know how, and b) I am not sure of all the shops....

Cyclesurgery
    Condor

The trouble is peoples experience differs greatly. Personally I thought the service I had at Condor was excellant, but then I deliberately went there when I knew they wouldn't be busy. Something I always do if I know I'm going to take a bit of time and want some attention.

People have vastly different experiences of most shops, I hate Evans with a passion and avoid them like the plague. Then again Coriander prefers Evans over Condor, and therein lies the problem with any poll on which shops are good and bad. I hadn't realised I was going to open such a can of worms :shock:

Revised FCN - 2
  • biondino
    Actually, thinking a bit more about it, I think the big problem with the sales staff in Condor is they think they're above serving customers. If you're lucky enough to get service, they'll make it clear they're doing you a favour. Fcuk that, basically.
  • Coriander
    biondino wrote:
    Acciaio, means "steel", pronounced "atch-EYE-oh". Hope this helps :)

Where's your double consonant, hey, Blondie?
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    Rich158 wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:

Cyclesurgery
    Condor

The trouble is peoples experience differs greatly. Personally I thought the service I had at Condor was excellant, but then I deliberately went there when I knew they wouldn't be busy. Something I always do if I know I'm going to take a bit of time and want some attention.

People have vastly different experiences of most shops, I hate Evans with a passion and avoid them like the plague. Then again Coriander prefers Evans over Condor, and therein lies the problem with any poll on which shops are good and bad. I hadn't realised I was going to open such a can of worms :shock:

But is that not the point of a poll...the majority is probably right?
  • Coriander
    Rich158 wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:

Cyclesurgery
    Condor

I've decided it's all down to sexuality. Lit and I both get bad service in Condor; the sales assistants are obviously all gay. Lit and I get good service in Evans; they're all straight boys who appreciate a gorgeous girl when they see one.

What this says about the boys among you who have good service and those who have bad service at Condor, I'll leave others to ponder...
  • Rich158
    Evidently not. It would appear that the majority of people have had a bad experience at Condor, yet I'll always consider them for any major bike purchase as I felt the service I had was excellent. Conversely I know a lot of people rate my LBS very highly, yet I'd never use them again as I feel they just take the p*** most of the time and getting them to actually do anything is impossible.

Revised FCN - 2