Does AVERAGE SPEED on your computer matter to YOU...?

2»

Comments

• Gav888
    Gav888 Posts: 946
    I used to live by it, but since ive bought my Edge 305 I dont even look at it whilst im out, I just make sure im in the right zones etc. I give it a look when I get in when checking the rest of my data, but thats it now.

Too many variables to train by average speed alone.
    Cycling never gets any easier, you just go faster - Greg LeMond
  • In er peloton, 30mph. Solo I a do 24. Sometimes go to 23 if a no espresso.

come il digiuno la fa va con un colpo di EPO :lol:
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    No
  • dennisn
    No
  • dennisn
    No
  • JimmyK
    JimmyK Posts: 712
    In er peloton, 30mph. Solo I a do 24. Sometimes go to 23 if a no espresso.

30 mph average :roll: have you a 125cc engine hidden on your bike ?
  • Never, it's irrelevant and misleading. For training - power and HR only. For just riding around - who cares, enjoy the scenery!
  • average speed on your rides is the most important reading, along with hr
  • milese
    milese Posts: 1,233
    I pay attention to it when riding.

Its motivational - keeps you working hard chasing something that you can measure. When you post a good average you feel good. When you post a bad average you blame the conditions.

It keeps you company when riding alone. Its something to look at and think about other than pain. It can also be a reason for the pain if your really competitive like myself and can race your average time. Looking down on a big hill and seeing 8mph on the speedo destroying your average speed is enough of a motivation to give it some more.

We all know it needs to be taken with a pinch of salt because of the variables, but that doesn't stop it from being a very cheap and easy tool.
  • flix23
    flix23 Posts: 72
    Quite agree Milese, I find working to an add an extra km to my average speed (or not losing a km off it) adds interest to commutes or other boring rides and certainly helps build my fitness. Effectively I'm always racing myself.

I don't compare average speeds from different rides though - purely use it as I'm going along.
  • i dont have my ave speed on my computer any more while i,m riding as like some other people i used to be obsessed with it to the extent that i,d push myself too hard and get back hot, knackered and not really having enjoyed the ride,now i just look at it when i get back and usually ive gone better than i thought sometimes worse but i,d much rather do 30-50 miles at 17 -18mph and enjoy it than try to push it towards 19-20mph like i used to which i can do but i just dont want or need to these days
  • on the Flat I can maintain around 22-25mph (when i am comfortable) today I pushed it and got to 33mph for a brief time (about 5minutes) but it was horrible having my legs spinning that quick lol

Average over a ride tho..... well thats dependant on too many conditions, todays ride was very hilly and way too much traffic and junctions so the overall average was 13mph. What as a whole is not too bad.

yes I got to go fast all the time. I like the feeling :D
    FCN: 5/6 Fixed Gear (quite rapid) in normal clothes and clips :D

Cannondale CAAD9 / Mongoose Maurice (heavily modified)