• Or Fenwicks caravan cleaner, good as a bulk purchase
    I ache, therefore I am.
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    My 2p worth of answers:

1) No idea.

2) the lot I believe.

3) Never done it.

4) Like others have said its the clothing selection. Taken me a while to get it right, but lately I'm wearing a SS Jersey as a base layer (different one for the trip home at night), a long sleave jersey over that, and then a nice warm windproof jacket. Balances keeping warm enough with keeping cool enough, if I start to feel overheated I just unzip the jacket a little to let a bit of air in. Same concept works on the legs, I'm currently wearing bib longs and a pair of windproof longs over the top of them.

Also I've found for the arms, body etc wearing 2 layers will stop you from feeling the cold of the jacket itself. If its say a cool -1C your jacket isn't going to be warm by itself and you will lose heat through conduction, but if you have a layer under that you won't feel it so much and there is a chance for the warm air against the body to be trapped.

Personally I've never been so nicely balanced re heat management on a winter commute, a big thumbs up to KW club gear!
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • marchant
    marchant Posts: 362
    Okay, I'm really showing myself up here but WTF does NOS mean? I see it on eBay ads and various other places. Is it a manufacturer? A style? Has everyone spat coffee/tea/energy drinks on their keyboards as they laugh an my ignorance? Please, put me out of my misery
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    It took me a while to figure out what NOS meant. It's New Old Stock - stuff that is brand new in the box, not second hand, but still a few years old.
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    Norky wrote:
    ... making you sweat (ahem, sorry, *perspire*). ...

P.S. I've just thought about what I wrote and realised I've all but called you a sweaty bird. Diplomacy fail. Sorry :oops:

*sigh* Horses sweat, men perspire... ladies (Like Cori) Glow....

Cheers,
    W.

I freely admit that while I am a person of the lady persuasion, I sweat like a pig during and after exercise! :shock:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    With you on that one NGale :D
  • Pigs don't actually sweat. This is why they wallow in the mud - it cools them down.

So look for another cliche, smelly :wink:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Cafewanda
    @ KB - :P

Don't get me started on the 'best' additions to a jacket potato 8)
  • Cafewanda wrote:

Beans then cheese. Doing it any other way is wrong and perverted. Anyone who says different is wrong; and a pervert.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    Cafewanda wrote:

Beans then cheese. Doing it any other way is wrong and perverted. Anyone who says different is wrong; and a pervert.

Beans are a perversion, any which way.
  • Cafewanda
    Where do I sign? :D

Cori, what have you got against beans? :shock:
  • Coriander
    Cafewanda wrote:

They are just one of the most vile foodstuffs on the planet. The thought of them makes me heave. I love haricot beans and other pulses and I love tomato sauces, but there's something so hideous as to defy description in tinned, processed baked beans.
  • Cafewanda
    Such a pity :(
  • Coriander wrote:
    Cafewanda wrote:

They are just one of the most vile foodstuffs on the planet. The thought of them makes me heave. I love haricot beans and other pulses and I love tomato sauces, but there's something so hideous as to defy description in tinned, processed baked beans.

and you seemed so normal when we met.

Mind you: this is me saying this.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Coriander wrote:

Beans are a perversion, any which way.

you've seen the alternative cut of 9 1/2 weeks where they got to the fridge and it was empty as well :wink:

I've never looked at a tin of beans and mini sausages the same since.
  • Cafewanda
    Coriander wrote:
    Cafewanda wrote:

Quite!! :lol:
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Cold clamminess is usually caused by an outer layer that is not permeable enough and an inner layer that is not Merino enough.
    Save your waterproof for when it is raining; otherwise use a windproof. You need windproof material that can keep a chill blast out but still breath. A simple tight-weave material is good, a membrane system cant cope and wont last. I use the Huff test, hold the material against my mouth and huff. There should be some resistance but the huff should slowly get through.

Your base layer should be as Merino as possible. Ive tried Howies but prefer Chocholate Fish, cheaper and more durable. You dont need special features for winter, a plain T shirt style works well. Pockets and zips are bets avoided.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,418
    What is this hammer that cyclists carry around so that they can put it down when they want to go faster? Any idea where the expression came from?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Coriander wrote:
    Cafewanda wrote:

Baked beans - food of (some of) the gods :wink:
  • Coriander
    Coriander wrote:
    Cafewanda wrote:

Actually, for lunch I had what was probably the vilest thing I've ever eaten - New Covent Garden Soup Company Smoked Haddock Chowder. It looked like vomit and didn't taste much better. *Shudders*
  • marchant
    marchant Posts: 362
    All this talk of beans is making me want some of the curried variety....