Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Norky wrote:
    ... making you sweat (ahem, sorry, *perspire*). ...

P.S. I've just thought about what I wrote and realised I've all but called you a sweaty bird. Diplomacy fail. Sorry :oops:

*sigh* Horses sweat, men perspire... ladies (Like Cori) Glow....

Cheers,
    W.
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    Norky wrote:
    ... making you sweat (ahem, sorry, *perspire*). ...

P.S. I've just thought about what I wrote and realised I've all but called you a sweaty bird. Diplomacy fail. Sorry :oops:

*sigh* Horses sweat, men perspire... ladies (Like Cori) Glow....

Cheers,
    W.

I'm saying nothing. :oops:
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Not tonight love I'm washing my bike

:lol:
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • I try to wear as little as I can bear to when I'm in motion, and work hard so that I don't cool down too quickly, say at lights. However, if I'm underdressed and a bit glowy (haha) and have to stop for a longer period of time, say, in a pub, I try to bring something warm along with me.

I'm finding a ss jersey (nice'n'wicking)and a waterproof/windproof is enough at the moment, and I can carry a merino base-layer as a makeshift jumper for longer stops.
  • I try to wear as little as I can bear to when I'm in motion, and work hard so that I don't cool down too quickly, say at lights. However, if I'm underdressed and a bit glowy (haha) and have to stop for a longer period of time, say, in a pub, I try to bring something warm along with me.

I'm finding a ss jersey (nice'n'wicking)and a waterproof/windproof is enough at the moment, and I can carry a merino base-layer as a makeshift jumper for longer stops.

yup, I find baselayer with a tiny windproof jacket does the job nice and toastie.
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    I try to wear as little as I can bear to when I'm in motion,

Ooh err missus!
  • Ok...

1) Possibly something in your frame? A ballbearing, or some rain + a metal thing? Frames are the next best thing to the brass section at generating and disguising the source of noise.

2) yes.

3) everything. Not as good as a degreaser where it needs it, but a good all-round alternative. Try not to use real babies though.

4) Try a polypropolene top - a helly hansen stripey arm job. Or sweat less, you sweaty bugger!

Oh, and the fixed & corners question: keep the bike upright and steer round the corners. Don't lean the bike.
    However, if I'm underdressed and a bit glowy (haha) and have to stop for a longer period of time, say, in a pub, I try to bring something warm along with me.

Really? Have we been introduced to this "something"?

Enquiring minds need to know.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Eau Rouge wrote:
    I try to wear as little as I can bear to when I'm in motion,

Ooh err missus!

I work on the basis that you should be cold when you leave the house.
    Greg66 wrote:
    Oh, and the fixed & corners question: keep the bike upright and steer round the corners. Don't lean the bike.
    However, if I'm underdressed and a bit glowy (haha) and have to stop for a longer period of time, say, in a pub, I try to bring something warm along with me.

Really? Have we been introduced to this "something"?

Enquiring minds need to know.

'Everyone, my jacket, my jacket, everyone'.

Actually you can lean a fixed gear a fair way over before pedal strike becomes a problem. I've never managed a pedal strike while cornering, and I lean the bike.
  • spursn17
    spursn17 Posts: 284
    So.... steam cleaners??? :wink:

I've used one on Lambretta parts before, a bit messy and not that effective.

I recently bought an ultrasonic cleaner from Lidl for £19.99. A few drops of washing up liquid in the water cleaned a 20 year old rear mech up lovely, only took 5 mins in it.

+1 for baby wipes. As said earlier the cheaper the better, Lidl/Aldi/Tesco work great. Stay away from Johnsons ones as they are too small.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    My bike has very specific cleaning instructions

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_kpL89b9NWA8/S ... G_0126.JPG

8)
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    What does the phrase ' flipping the stem' mean?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    Old men with bad backs and mountain bikers have their stems pointing up in the air, raising the bars up and looking frankly dreadful.

Us fashionable roadies will not sully the beautiful lines of our svelte speed machines, and so the stem is turned over such that it is parallel to the ground. Some even have the stem making such an angle that it makes the bars lower...
  • Roughly how many miles before wheel rims wear out?(would this be better measured on replacement brake pads per rim?)

How do you tell your wheel rim is wearing out?

I guess it would be different for front and back wheel?
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Can all the black oily looking gunk that is on the drive train be removed and the drive chain scrubbed clean.

I just want to make 100% sure the black stuff is dirty lube.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Roughly how many miles before wheel rims wear out?(would this be better measured on replacement brake pads per rim?)

Mine lasted maximum 5000 miles and wore out before the pads -- probably more like 4000 miles in reality: see
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12678922
    How do you tell your wheel rim is wearing out?

Feel them. If they're concave, they're worn out. Most wheels have "wear indicators", sometimes a often (black a line) which will disappear, sometimes some dots will appear in the rims (apparently, not seen that yet). Only just learnt this myself.

Remember to check your brake pads for little flakes of metal or bits of grit.
    I guess it would be different for front and back wheel?
    Probably. Mine wear at different rates, it'll depend on your braking style, and maybe weight.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    J-cloths, warm water, washing up liquid. Lemon juice in water to degrease.

As IP says frequent cleaning is the answer - commuter once a week, CX after every trip - it does get rather muddy at the moment

I wear a HH base layer with a soft shell on top and usually carry a lightweight windproof - I'm usually a little chilly when I start but you soon warm up
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,699
    What does the suffix 'CP' on various usernames stand for?

BTW davis, you must brake very gently - I get through brake blocks every 1500-2500miles. Must be all the traffic lights in London, plus the winter grit.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    rjsterry wrote:

I've often wondered that myself
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    edited February 2010
    rjsterry wrote:

In the days of yore before BikeRadar there were CyclingPlus forums. The existing usernames had cp tacked on the end when BR took over...

Edit: Obviously Mr Pun is a newer user otherwise he would have been a bit like New York
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • pllb
    pllb Posts: 158
    rjsterry wrote:

Is it Cycling Plus - think there was a forum before Bikeradar and some like to identify that they were around in the time before BR was born.

Edit: Doh JonGinge beat me too it :D
  • Why are my legs so dead? I have a lingering cough but that can't be it.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,699
    JonGinge wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

In the days of yore before BikeRadar there were CyclingPlus forums. The existing usernames had cp tacked on the end when BR took over...

Edit: Obviously Mr Pun is a newer user otherwise he would have been a bit like New York

Back in the days of dial-up then? :wink:
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    Greg66 wrote:
    Ok...

you cant go round a corner with out leaning a bike at any kind of speed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C848R9xWrjc
    http://www.coachcarl.com/training_artic ... nering.htm
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Greg66 wrote:
    Ok...

Stabilisers, really long stabilsers!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    JonGinge wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

or I knew that and chose my name accordingly

Anyway my question
    where do I get spacer (if that's even the right word) nuts from mine is trying to commit suicide as a 3rd has rusted off, I've got a limited time before it all goes to hell. it's the item between the sprocket and rear drop outs
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    bails87 wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    Ok...

Stabilisers, really long stabilsers!

but they would ruin the fixie style... can you put post cards on the stabilisers ?
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • Brilliant thread, learnt a fair bit :).
    Cycling Newbie
    I reserve the right to ask dumb questions :)
  • WheezyMcChubby Posted: Sun Feb 7, 2010 6:48 pm Post subject:

This clearly refers to the common(s) practice of swapping your stem for some thing with carbon in it, moving your old stem onto your other bike, then flipping that one in six months time and so on. :roll:
    I ache, therefore I am.
  • BigLee1
    BigLee1 Posts: 449
    Don`t use washing up liquid to wash your bike, buy some car shampoo or the like.