Help, what Bike for daily commute?!

2»

Comments

• -null- wrote:
    -null- wrote:
    -null- wrote:
    It's a natural progression, innit? Everyone starts on the BSO mountain bike they never rode and has been in the shed for ages, then they buy a hybrid and say it's the best thing ever. It is, well compared to the mountain bike. Eventually they get fed up and buy a road bike.
    Yep that's me :oops: Although I don't think my hybrid is th best thing ever.
    Aw, go on, buy yourself a road bike. You deserve it!
    I'm thinking about it after spotting this on ebay this morning.

Looks good to me! DOOOOOO IIIIITTTTT!!!!! :twisted:
    Too late :(

Your mouse clicks too slow!
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    I love these arguments!

Get a few bikes, then you'll have one for every type of weather which does the job.

Joking aside (though that is what I have), my latest purchase is a cross bike - the acceptable sort of "hybrid", combining the best aspects of a road bike (lighter, drop handlebars) with the practicalities of an MTB - good clearance for mudguards, takes a pannier rack etc.

I much prefer drop handlebars - more positions for comfort, narrower.
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • One thing no-one's asked about is what you do when you get to work. Whether or not you have somewhere really secure to keep it during the day makes a big difference in my view. One big advantage of racers (especially old ones) is their limited appeal to scrotes.

Putting that to one side, I'd personally go for a racer, then fix it when you have the confidence. It's a faster, more fun ride, fine in almost all conditions. Not good in snow, it's true - but then how often does the snow get bad enough to be a factor? A good fixie is fun to ride, virtually maintenance-free, and you can get a good 531-framed bike off ebay and make one yourself for well under £100.
    "If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink."
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    Singlespeed cyclocross sounds ideal - you can fit road tyres in summer and bigger nobblier tyres in winter if you like, along with full mudguards which as mentioned above will keep a lot of crud off you, and also the bike which will improve longevity. Pretty low maintenance.

You see a few SS Tricrosses on ebay:

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=tric ... &_osacat=0