Pre Glued or Proper patches? Which is best?

2»

Comments

• I use both but get a great deal of satisfaction when grating the chalk.
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    I gave up with preglued. Had several deflations due to them getting old and just coming unstuck, never happened with an old skool patch.

So preglued might get you up and running again quicker in the short term, but in the long term, they're frankly dangerous.
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    I've given up taking the recycling out because if I do it 3 times a week thats about 20 minutes work for no remuneration. Now I throw it into a local school playground when I'm passing in my turbo Audi S3, making sure to leave the engine running.

Ah you should come round mine, I've got a pretty much 24/7 bonfire going of old paint cans, tyres and creosote.
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Underscore wrote:
    Patch? But tubes only cost like £3.50...

At my hourly rate that means it's not worth the time spent patching them, and my hourly rate really isn't very high at all.

Even if you were to use the £2 decathlon tubes, I pay 25p each for the Rema patches - so I'm saving £1.75 each time I patch. Ignoring the tube removal and reassembly (which you would need to do anyway), I reckon it takes about 3 minutes to locate the p***ture, sand and apply the vulcanising solution and barely a minute to apply the patch once it's dried. (The intervening time I will use to lube my chain or something similar - which I would do anyway.) So, for < 5 minutes effort, I save £1.75 - so > £21/hr.

Now, I wouldn't get out of bed for £21/hr but, since I'm up anyway and it gives me an excuse to go into the garage and fettle, it's a not unreasonable hourly rate!

_
    That's about £37k a year.

So I reckon about 3/4 of the UK population would get out of bed for it.

Not that you are a twit or anything.
  • Underscore wrote:
    [...]

Now, I wouldn't get out of bed for £21/hr but, since I'm up anyway and it gives me an excuse to go into the garage and fettle, it's a not unreasonable hourly rate!
    That's about £37k a year.

So I reckon about 3/4 of the UK population would get out of bed for it.

Have we really reached the point where we are unable to spot humour without an emoticon? Or perhaps the boilerplate humorous phrase "<name> wouldn't get out of bed for <sum of money>" is not as common up on your high horse as it is where I live and work.

The fact that it was a lot of money was precisely the point. LiT suggested that it wasn't financially worth her fixing p***tures; I begged to differ. And don't forget that the £21/hr was net of tax, so it would be more like £60k/yr.

_

P.S. LiT, I haven't timed myself - 5 mins was an estimate - but I have had a lot of practice: The tyres on my MTB are great in every respect except for their tendency to puncture if I so much as look at anything slightly pointy. I suspect that the tubes are nearly double their original weight by now! (For Always Tyred's benefit, this was comedic exaggeration so: :) )
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    When my clothes are dirty, I put them in the washing machine to clean them. Even if I earned millions, I'd still do that - it wouldn't occur to me to do otherwise. Similarly, if I get a puncture, I repair the tube.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • always_tyred
    Underscore wrote:
    The fact that it was a lot of money was precisely the point.
    Even though you wound't get out of bed for it. Mere pocket change.

For some reason the quote "I wouldn't get out of bed for £21/hr" evoked an image of an 80's wide boy in a stiped suit with braces and the latest mobile phonebrick. Don't ask me why.

Hell, I wouldn't get out of bed for £40/hr... hell, I haven't woundn't have got out of bed for £21/hr since about 1990.

Lets get another bottle of Bollinger and pay for it in CASH.
  • I used to go with pre-glued on the road/trail, old school if i was doing a bunch of tubes at home.
    Now, both my trail bike and commuter (which is also a MTB) are tubeless so i have to carry a spare tube for that one time you find a nice bit of glass, slash your tyre and get covered in sticky white goo (the liquid latex...).
    Giant Reign - now sold :-(
    Rockhopper Pro - XC and commuting
    DH8 - New toy :-)
  • Underscore wrote:

For some reason the quote "I wouldn't get out of bed for £21/hr" evoked an image of an 80's wide boy in a stiped suit with braces and the latest mobile phonebrick. Don't ask me why.

Hell, I wouldn't get out of bed for £40/hr... hell, I haven't woundn't have got out of bed for £21/hr since about 1990.

Yes, I think that is exactly why it is now (thirty years on) used in a sarcastic fashion (which I'm aware is the lowest form of whit, but it is whit nonetheless) to indicate - when referring to oneself - that the sum in question is, in fact, a significant sum to you (contrary to someone else's insinuation) and not an insignificant sum.

I was using to sarcasm to reinforce the point that £21/hr is probably sufficient for it to be worth the while for anyone on this forum to fix their tubes - even those whose hourly rate is above that. I assume that my sarcasm was too subtle - which is quite the opposite of how it is usually described...

_
  • always_tyred
    Underscore wrote:
    Underscore wrote:

Yes, I think that is exactly why it is now (thirty years on) used in a sarcastic fashion (which I'm aware is the lowest form of whit, but it is whit nonetheless) to indicate - when referring to oneself - that the sum in question is, in fact, a significant sum to you (contrary to someone else's insinuation) and not an insignificant sum.

I was using to sarcasm to reinforce the point that £21/hr is probably sufficient for it to be worth the while for anyone on this forum to fix their tubes - even those whose hourly rate is above that. I assume that my sarcasm was too subtle - which is quite the opposite of how it is usually described...

_
    I've never encountered this particular usage and thus I did not recognise it as sarcasm.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    The reason I don't patch tubes is because I freaking rubbish at it... they invariably leak or just give up. Since I don't like taking the wheel off as much as ITB I just bite the bullet and use a new tube.
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • I've been out of bed for a good 3 hours, I demand my £63.

I found that it was one of those jobs that doesn't seem like it'll take long, find puncture, apply sticky thing, done, but in actual fact it took me forever, perhaps it would be better with preglued patches.

But as CP so rightly points out, the bloomin' thing would probably fail in an instant. See earlier reference to my muppet-ness.

And Underscore, seeing as you're so freaking loaded maybe you should get yourself some new tyres
    :P <-- helpful sarcasm indicator ;)
  • At a slight tangent (sorry):

Didn't someone find a cheap bulk source of small (just enough to cover a single hole) patches a year or so back? I can't recall what they were, or whether they were pre-glued (can anyone recall), but that would address my annoyance at collecting umpteen left over crayons/chalk/latex solution tubes... when the patches run out.

Me? I didn't realise there were pre-glued patches. Sounded good until someone mentioned them drying up over time :? Anything to speed things up and make it less fiddly when I'm stood in the (inevitable) cold wind and rain fixing the thing. I carry a couple of spare tubes and, if ultimately necessary, have a decent lock and a bus fare.
  • At a slight tangent (sorry):

Didn't someone find a cheap bulk source of small (just enough to cover a single hole) patches a year or so back? I can't recall what they were, or whether they were pre-glued (can anyone recall), but that would address my annoyance at collecting umpteen left over crayons/chalk/latex solution tubes... when the patches run out.

Me? I didn't realise there were pre-glued patches. Sounded good until someone mentioned them drying up over time :? Anything to speed things up and make it less fiddly when I'm stood in the (inevitable) cold wind and rain fixing the thing. I carry a couple of spare tubes and, if ultimately necessary, have a decent lock and a bus fare.

I think that CRC do the Rema patches on their own (I got mine from a LBS that was selling 4 for £1)...

[Rummages around on the internet...]

Yep, Here they are. Mind you, if you want the F1s rather than the F0s, I would look for somewhere that sell just them - I never use those long patches...

_
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Underscore wrote:
    At a slight tangent (sorry):

I think that CRC do the Rema patches on their own (I got mine from a LBS that was selling 4 for £1)...

[Rummages around on the internet...]

Yep, Here they are. Mind you, if you want the F1s rather than the F0s, I would look for somewhere that sell just them - I never use those long patches...

_

I bought some of those from CRC but to be honest I find them too big for thin, narrow roadie tubes, they're so big that they almost wrap right round! It's like trying to put a pair of size 10 wellies on a child's foot. Condor sell smaller, thinner patches in packs for about £1.99 (used to be £1.50 til they did up their premises and bumped up prices)...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Old school patches for me. Never had a problem with them.

Had three punctures on the Highclere Magnificat last year :-(, so needed those side-of-the-road skills then despite carrying two inners. Fortunately Mr Mavic rocked up on his scooter while I was doing the last one and fitted the tyre and pumped it up for me. I felt proper rockstar.

Shame he didn't show up near the end, in the pouring rain, when I had to help some fat bloke fit his Vittoria 26" tyre onto his 700c wheel (that's what it felt like, anyway). He then went and slung his old tube into the hedge of the house we were toiling outside and rode off. I gained a tube, reattached my frame pump to my bike (he had a poxy useless mini-pump) and then scalped him. Of course.

On the topic of replacing tubes, being an engineer, I feel slightly soiled if I choose to replace anything rather than having a go at fixing it. I can understand if you're not too confident with it though, it's all a bit arcane...

DW

PS I get my spare patches from here.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • fenboy369
    fenboy369 Posts: 425
    I'm an engineer too and I hate throwing stuff away. I went through a period of replace any tube with a single hole. Now it's winter and dark and cold I am bored and its a small but useful 'fettle' to do whilst watching TV with the wife. Yes, if you apply an hourly rate to your own free time you wouldn't bother to patch them. But you also wouldn't bother to do a lot of other things like chop a lettuce of peel and chop carrots and you probably wouldn't ride a bike either as getting there slowly costs you money.
    Life.
    Its not all about money.
    '11 Cannondale Synapse 105CD - FCN 4
    '11 Schwinn Corvette - FCN 15?
    '09 Pitch Comp - FCN (why bother?) 11
    '07 DewDeluxe (Bent up after being run over) - FCN 8