Pre Glued or Proper patches? Which is best?

fenboy369
fenboy369 Posts: 425
edited January 2010 in Commuting chat
OK, on the side of the road, in the dark etc etc, the Pre Glued is King. But at home, when you have the time is it best to use a Pre Glued Patch (I currently use Park ones) or do you get the glue out and do it the old school way?
My prefference was to never bother repairing a tube, but I have a stack of tubes, 26" and 700c, that only have one hole and I am thinking what a waste.
'11 Cannondale Synapse 105CD - FCN 4
'11 Schwinn Corvette - FCN 15?
'09 Pitch Comp - FCN (why bother?) 11
'07 DewDeluxe (Bent up after being run over) - FCN 8

Comments

• side of road - Park glueless patches ftw
    at home? old stylee
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    nothing wrong with patching. Both of mine have about 8 patches each on the roadie at the moment.

I go for the old style ones and have a spare tube in my backpack at all times.
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • dbmnk
    dbmnk Posts: 217
    The thinwall of the preglue is a winner. I use the lezyne ones. Don't see the reason for add a 2mm thick rubber plate to a latex or supersonic tube
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    The yellow things that Halfords sell are the biggest waste of a pound this side of a Macdonalds cheeseburger, and probably taste the same for all I know. Maybe there are SA patches that work, but these yellow things don't. Try the cheeseburger instead.
  • I didn't even know there were such things as pre-glued patches.
    Anyway if you're trying to patch a puncture by the side of the road at night the tricky bit isn't getting the patch to stick its finding where to put it in the first place.
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • I don't think I've ever repaired a tube by the roadside, I always carry spares. When I get home I repair them with regular patches..5 minute job. Will only throw away a tube if 2 holes appear too close together and I have to overlap patches, or obviously if it's the valve at fault etc.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Removed...
  • dbmnk wrote:
    The thinwall of the preglue is a winner. I use the lezyne ones. Don't see the reason for add a 2mm thick rubber plate to a latex or supersonic tube

What old skool patches were you using? I use Rema F0 patches on the commuter and road bikes and they are probably thinner in the middle than the Park self-adhesive and are feathered out to nothing whereas the Parks are the same thickness right to the edge. Even the F1s that I use on the MTB are 2mm thick in the middle...

_
  • those park pre-glued ones are the dogs testimonials.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I use old style patches, more out of habit than anything, I've never even tried the pre-glued jobs. I assumed they probably wouldn't be up to the job. I use the micro thin, feathered edge patches that Condor sells. As others have said, I don't think I've ever patched a hole by the side of the road. I carry a spare tube and I don't think I have ever got 2 punctures in a single ride.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    like headhuunter...i have never tried the pre-glued patches.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    I use patches in preference to the spare tube, oddly enough. (Old school, but feathered edges, no ribbing, banana flavour).

Particularly this time of year, at night, when everything is covered in grit and slime, I estimate my chances at actually figuring out what is stuck in the tyre to be around 50:50.

If so, I'd rather have a false start with an already knackered tube rather than end up with two already knackered tubes.
  • blinddrew
    blinddrew Posts: 317
    those park pre-glued ones are the dogs testimonials.
    I'll second that, haven't used anything else for years now. Press-em down tight so that they're completely transparent and almost look like the tube and robert is definitely your mother's brother. And a little box of 6 fits in the bottom of my alien pouch so i don't forget/lose them either.
    Music, beer, sport, repeat...
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Don't patch at the roadside unless you have no choice
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • since the fairy spends so much time loved up with itboffin I rarely get a lookin thus, I like quite a few just replace and bin, in the two years i've had the old roadie I've had one visit. was RP of all places due to the new surface...
  • fenboy369
    fenboy369 Posts: 425
    ok, I always carry a spare tube to change at the roadside, but I have had 3 visits from the PF in one ride home, I used Pre glued them and all was fine. Its more a question of what to put on the 'spare' tubes I have in the shed. I'll be leaving some at work and some at home so there's always a few handy.
    I'll probably do some of each and see which is best, a cycling SPAM at work says he has found that the Park Patches are acce, but the glue goes funny after about a year in the bag, so I'll keep an eye on them...
    '11 Cannondale Synapse 105CD - FCN 4
    '11 Schwinn Corvette - FCN 15?
    '09 Pitch Comp - FCN (why bother?) 11
    '07 DewDeluxe (Bent up after being run over) - FCN 8
  • Headhuunter
    fenboy369 wrote:
    ok, I always carry a spare tube to change at the roadside, but I have had 3 visits from the PF in one ride home, I used Pre glued them and all was fine. Its more a question of what to put on the 'spare' tubes I have in the shed. I'll be leaving some at work and some at home so there's always a few handy.
    I'll probably do some of each and see which is best, a cycling SPAM at work says he has found that the Park Patches are acce, but the glue goes funny after about a year in the bag, so I'll keep an eye on them...

3 visits in 1 ride suggests that you didn't find and remove whatever was causing the puncture in the 1st place...
  • Patch? But tubes only cost like £3.50...

At my hourly rate that means it's not worth the time spent patching them, and my hourly rate really isn't very high at all.
  • Headhuunter
    Patch? But tubes only cost like £3.50...

At my hourly rate that means it's not worth the time spent patching them, and my hourly rate really isn't very high at all.

Actually only about 1.99 at Decathlon, I just think it's such a waste to chuck 'em out. In an era of recycling and awareness that the human race is rapidly eating through the world's finite resources, I just prefer to repair rather than contribute to our disposable society.

Can I have your old tubes? I'll collect them from you at The Morpeth every now and then if you don't want them!

Actually only about 1.99 at Decathlon, I just think it's such a waste to chuck 'em out. In an era of recycling and awareness that the human race is rapidly eating through the world's finite resources, I just prefer to repair rather than contribute to our disposable society.

Can I have your old tubes? I'll collect them from you at The Morpeth every now and then if you don't want them!

sure but be a long time waiting see above if like itboffin I was spending my time with the fairy then yes patch, but since she very rarely visits the tube is normally a good few years old.

You'll have to get them between when I replace them and when I see a bin... it's not a huge window...

And I don't think my patching tubes is ever going to actually save the world. :lol:

Even if you were to use the £2 decathlon tubes, I pay 25p each for the Rema patches - so I'm saving £1.75 each time I patch. Ignoring the tube removal and reassembly (which you would need to do anyway), I reckon it takes about 3 minutes to locate the p***ture, sand and apply the vulcanising solution and barely a minute to apply the patch once it's dried. (The intervening time I will use to lube my chain or something similar - which I would do anyway.) So, for < 5 minutes effort, I save £1.75 - so > £21/hr.

Now, I wouldn't get out of bed for £21/hr but, since I'm up anyway and it gives me an excuse to go into the garage and fettle, it's a not unreasonable hourly rate!

_
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    PF visited this morning, and I reckoned (albeit in daylight) that it would actually be quicker and easier to chuck on a pre-glued patch than to get the spare out of its box,put a bit of air in it, put it inside the tyre etc. By the time I found and removed the piece of council grit which had caused the puncture, it was pretty obvious where the patch had to go anyway.
    Even if it had taken me 30 seconds longer, that's a lot less than the time it would take me to fix the tube later at home, or to pop out to my LBS and buy another.

The real lesson from this morning's experience, is that if you hear a ticking noise from one of your wheels which is obviously related to something stuck into/onto the tyre, it's better to stop and have a look than to ride another two miles in the hope that it will 'fall off'. Quite impressed with my Gatorskins though, held out all the way from the middle of RP to Queens Ride before the flint got through...
    Pannier, 120rpm.

• And I don't think my patching tubes is ever going to actually save the world. :lol:

Nothing we do as individuals - recycling, driving less, insulating our houses, will save the World. So why bother hey?
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998

And I don't think my patching tubes is ever going to actually save the world. :lol:

Nothing we do as individuals - recycling, driving less, insulating our houses, will save the World. So why bother hey?

Good point. I'll be back in a bit, just going to dump my Pandas at the landfill site....
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Underscore wrote:
    Patch? But tubes only cost like £3.50...

Even if you were to use the £2 decathlon tubes, I pay 25p each for the Rema patches - so I'm saving £1.75 each time I patch. Ignoring the tube removal and reassembly (which you would need to do anyway), I reckon it takes about 3 minutes to locate the p***ture, sand and apply the vulcanising solution and barely a minute to apply the patch once it's dried. (The intervening time I will use to lube my chain or something similar - which I would do anyway.) So, for < 5 minutes effort, I save £1.75 - so > £21/hr.

Now, I wouldn't get out of bed for £21/hr but, since I'm up anyway and it gives me an excuse to go into the garage and fettle, it's a not unreasonable hourly rate!

_

Time yourself! I tried patching a tube once, it was a new one that (it turns out) had a tiny split on a seam, and it took me about 20 minutes all in from 'right let's have a look at this tube that's already off the bike then', with a bit of waiting thrown in, because, y'know, it's how I roll, and you can't use that time for anything else that's productive.

Now I appreciate that I may just be a total muppet, but I don't care to learn how to do it faster for the sake of a few quid once every few months.

So glad we're agreed on that.
  • fenboy369 wrote:
    a cycling SPAM at work says he has found that the Park Patches are acce, but the glue goes funny after about a year in the bag, so I'll keep an eye on them...

I've had a couple come unstuck on spare tubes that were sitting at home unused for a few months.
  • I've given up taking the recycling out because if I do it 3 times a week thats about 20 minutes work for no remuneration. Now I throw it into a local school playground when I'm passing in my turbo Audi S3, making sure to leave the engine running.
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Don't patch at the roadside unless you have no choice
    I disagree - if you have the time, and it is a nice day, then a roadside repair will be my first option. But, sure, if there is no joy to be had from an unscheduled stop then the spare tube goes in faster than you can say "Park Pre-glued".

ps. I hate pre-glued.
  • Poacher
    Poacher Posts: 165
    I've probably used tubes with a dozen patches (all old-school:- cure-c-cure, a German brand the name of which escapes me, or the unbranded ones which cost about £2 a hundred from Mike Dyason), but even a completely knackered tube has its uses.
    My 3w Tesco torch is held under the bars by a short length of old tube (~18cm?) with a hole cut in it near each end to fit the torch and another hole through which one end of the tube is threaded to loop over the bars. (WIsh I hadn't started this now - the description's making my head hurt!)

A whole tube tied between two trees makes a humdinger of a catapult......er.....I imagine.
    :)
    Ceps, morelles, trompettes de mort. Breakfast of champignons.