So how do you spend the savings made by cycling?

supertwisted
supertwisted Posts: 565
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
Being a shallow and materialistic male, I'm motivated to do things by the lure of new shiny possesions as reward.

As such, in an attempt to motivate myself to start riding to work I've totalled the money I'll save in petrol and started fantasizing about what to blow it on - £820odd per year roughly.

After the 5500 miles I'll need to cycle on my hybrid-ised Scott to make that saving I may have to spend mine on a masseuse.

Sensible choice would probably be a new commuter bike.
Not so sensible will be a new plasma tv to hang on my wall.

Anyway - how do you spend yours?
Less internal organs, same supertwisted great taste.

Comments

• Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Savings? I don't save money by cycling, its just a whole new way of spending money!!
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    On bikes and bits, so I don't actually save anything
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    like others...i am yet to realise any savings.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    the correct number of bikes to own is always n+1 :wink:
  • plonk
    plonk Posts: 37
    Yep, savings my a*se.

Which incidentally will be much less sore now i've gone out and bought myself 4 pairs of Karrimor padding cycling shorts at £10 a pop! Trek and Field are having a wonderful wonderful sale.
  • I think the consensus is that we all ride our bikes to save money which we then spend on our bikes :-) It's a vicious cycle ;-)
    2010 Lynskey R230
    2013 Yeti SB66
  • jrduquemin wrote:
    I think the consensus is that we all ride our bikes to save money which we then spend on our bikes :-) It's a vicious cycle ;-)

So it seems, but then you could argue that money spent on the bike is money saved maintaning a car, so the petrol savings still stand... ;-)
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    jrduquemin wrote:
    I think the consensus is that we all ride our bikes to save money which we then spend on our bikes :-) It's a vicious cycle ;-)
    So it seems, but then you could argue that money spent on the bike is money saved maintaning a car, so the petrol savings still stand... ;-)
    Only if you consider a car to be a viable replacement for a bike... Cheers, W.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    I suppose I am saving about £70 every month on train fares and about £30 on petrol. however, I have developed a serious Wiggle habit, and although content at the moment with the number of bikes, I find I seem to collect lots of kit.

Last year i bought a big storage box for my bike bits and bobs - lights, spare tubes, tools, pedals, batteries, and guess what, the dam thing is full :shock:

I really need to go cold turkey from Internet shopping.

I have enough bike stuff...I have enough bike stuff......I have enough bike stuff......I have enough bike stuff....... I have enough bike stuff.......I need more bike stuff.......I need more bike stuff..... :x
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    I suppose I am saving about £70 every month on train fares and about £30 on petrol. however, I have developed a serious Wiggle habit, and although content at the moment with the number of bikes, I find I seem to collect lots of kit.

Last year i bought a big storage box for my bike bits and bobs - lights, spare tubes, tools, pedals, batteries, and guess what, the dam thing is full :shock:

I have enough bike stuff...I have enough bike stuff......I have enough bike stuff......I have enough bike stuff....... I have enough bike stuff.......I need more bike stuff.......I need more bike stuff..... :x

I think Wiggle put mind altering chemicals in the free packs of sweets that they send with some orders.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Each commute saves me about a gallon of diesel, a bit more or a bit less but the average is about £4.70 give or take, which my [more detailed) stats show for the 75 commutes that I did last year, so a saving of about £352.50. Well that all went having a major overhaul last Jan (bike not me), plus new tyres, tubes, seatpost, clothing and then a shiny new bike anyway in October at ~£1800 means that it costs a fortune to get to work for nothing. So far this year £25 worth of tubes & stuff plus about £50 on new winter togs.Savings? Phah.

I could waste it on wine & other gadgets I suppose. So I do, as well.
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    What savings ?

I work from home and still manage to spend more on bikes, accessories and gear than I do on my car !
    :roll:

I suppose I save a fair bit on bus and taxi fares or car parking by always cycling into town, but since those trips are generally to go to the pub, I immediately invest the savings in beer.
    Misguided Idealist
  • amnezia wrote:

I don't have enough bike stuff...I don't have enough bike stuff......I don't have enough bike stuff......I don't have enough bike stuff....... I don't have enough bike stuff.......I need more bike stuff.......I need more bike stuff..... :x

I think Wiggle put mind altering chemicals in the free packs of sweets that they send with some orders.

I fixed that for you ;-)
    2010 Lynskey R230
    2013 Yeti SB66
  • So to summarise; after one year of commuting by bike I can expect to be financially worse off, with a garage full of worn out bike parts. :lol:
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    What savings ?

I work from home and still manage to spend more on bikes, accessories and gear than I do on my car !
    +1
  • -null- wrote:
    What savings ?

+1

+2
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • Worse still, I've known for a while that my front car tyres need replacing soon, but find it hard to part with the cash. But if my beloved bike had a patch of rubber even slightly thinning, I'd run to Wiggle in seconds. :oops:
  • R_T_A
    R_T_A Posts: 488
    So to summarise; after one year of commuting by bike I can expect to be financially worse off, with a garage full of worn out bike parts. :lol:

Nail and Head. :wink:

But if you're justifying it to someone else, you can always add gym membership is a thing of the past, and you're fitter and healthier in mind and body.

And then spending it on clothes because your thighs don't fit anything. :twisted:
    Giant Escape R1
    FCN 8
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
    - Terry Pratchett.
  • R_T_A wrote:
    So to summarise; after one year of commuting by bike I can expect to be financially worse off, with a garage full of worn out bike parts. :lol:

Nail and Head. :wink:

:

Bugger. Was rather hoping I'd save a few bob.

Will have to make do with the consolation of not dying of heart disease and being fitter for my (once in a blue moon) MTB rides instead.
  • Bikequin
    Bikequin Posts: 402
    I'd like to think that commuting does save me a considerable ammount of money - that being on the grounds that I'd buy all my bike kit anyway.
    You'll not see nothing like the mighty Quin.
  • Second most expensive pastime I've had, 2nd only to cars.
    I ache, therefore I am.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Bikequin wrote:
    I'd like to think that commuting does save me a considerable ammount of money - that being on the grounds that I'd buy all my bike kit anyway.

+1 I tend to buy kit that will be used for non commuting as well as commuting. Sensible I reckon.

PT would cost me £1,032 a year so on the whole I've probably saved a little, but not much!
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    (bus pass + gym membership) x 12 =
    (45 + 30) x 12 =
    £900 saved per year
    I've probably broken even with the commuting bike (over 2 years), not counting the money spent on my weekend bike!
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    I've recently started a new job, and out of my first pay packet I spent almost as much on new cycling gear & bits as I did on a couple of new suits, shirts etc.

:shock:

(I've just opened the credit card bill...)
    Misguided Idealist
  • My commute bike is a Specialized Langster. I got the bike for free, with a few upgrades (I worked voluntarily at my LBS on days off for about 6months, selling and fixing bikes) The bike was half built and had been painted hammerite green. I had to find parts to finish it rummaging in the old storeroom. I was given my saddle (£100 Selle Itilia SLR), seatpost (S-Works) was a present, wheels I built myself (using parts I swapped for a playstation with games). Campag brakes (Present again) with Campag brake/shifters (Warrantied and found in the store room). FSA chainset swapped for old Dura Ace track cranks (Found in store room!). Recent purchase was some Mavic Eclispe wheels with a discount from £400 to £150. With freewheel and tyres. Any wonder why I don't buy stuff from anywhere else?
    I ran it without bartape for the first 6months, until the shop gave me some. I put that on after someone showed me how, and it's still there about 2years/5000miles later. I think my bike has cost me maybe £200-£300 over that time.....I think. I'm not counting clothing, as I cycle as well as commute, so I use my cycle kit to commute. A commute bike bike is ment to be cheap and a bit rubbish.
    It is possible that you could save a chunk of money over the year. It just takes some thought, and not getting caught up in one-up-manship. Why run XT? Deore is a lot cheaper and not much worse. In fact I run singlespeed, as it means no gears to wear out. With a bit of thought, gearing isn't to bad. You don't need a carbon framed super bike. An old MTB with slick tyres like the bike you have is perfect. I love a cheap, simple commute bike. :wink:

p.s. I save £5.40 a day, and work 3 days a week so about £810 a year. I don't spend that on cycling.....
    p.p.s. http://www.streetlifecycles.co.uk/ is where I used to work. Well worth talking to. I now work at http://www.cyclearound.co.uk/
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.
  • plonk wrote:
    Yep, savings my a*se.... Trek and Field are having a wonderful wonderful sale.

You just cost me 30 quid!!! Still I needed a new pair of boots for trail related footslogging so a very timely steer on your part.

As for other savings, about £2 a day means new bike on C2W for me this year, paid off, well who knows when really..?
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,707
    Not necessarily.

You don't have to buy lots of stuff, it doesn't wear out so fast that you have to spend hundreds of pounds each year. If you like cycling as a pastime then it's money spent on something that you enjoy too (life is short etc etc). At least this way you get to choose what to buy and enjoy it instead of putting another £50 in the fuel tank so you can join the zombie queues sitting there waiting for the 'low fuel' light to come on.

Another benefit is cycling every day means you can eat more cake, which is even better.

CYP206.kh_body.flaps-280-75.jpg
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • when i start saving i will let you know :D
  • commuting to bank and home was costing £116 a month!!!! the old full sus I spent money on new grips and slicks and was happy as larry on it,

Now got a nice fixed gear cost a lot more than expected plus all my little upgrades etc, its added up to a lot. but it saves me so much money as I would still be paying out £116 a month over the last 7month (£812). The cost of public transport in london is horrendous. it was only a 40minute ride and thats because of traffic!!!!!

I have a project in mind at the moment. 1 more mod to the current bike, then its time to start saving to build my dream machine :D
    FCN: 5/6 Fixed Gear (quite rapid) in normal clothes and clips :D

Cannondale CAAD9 / Mongoose Maurice (heavily modified)