Big mashy of small gear spinny

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited January 2010 in Commuting chat
Due to ankle complaints I spent last week spinning in a light gear (high 60 early 70s gear inch) and spining my way to 20mph.

Prior to this I was always trying to up my inches to the mid 80s and achieve the same speed.

I think the bigger gear is responsible for my own increased (relative to my previous amout of) power.

What effect should spinning the small gear high revolutions have on me?
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    It will make your feet dizzy.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    fitness.. increased heartrate etc

plus if you can spin for ages you can then up the gears now and then to achieve some good speed
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Less long term knee damage probably!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • i have often wondered about this. mashing less revolutions but more compression of the knee joint? spinning less knee compressing but more revolutions.

like smashing a rock, a few big hits or lots of little chips, same results?
    Cotic Soul rider.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    On the weekends social ride I noticed attica pushing out 80-90 rpm whilst I was 110+ both doing the same speed and of course over the same terrain, it's true that he was riding a triple "girl" and I on a compact so our gear selection would be different.

BJ is the one to ask about riding using your GI, I seem to remember him having a small print out on his top tube.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Depends on your style are you LA or JU! I use both, but go spinny for climbing otherwise my lower back gets very sore. I'm sure that pushing a 50x16 on my SS has helped my power but on long rides I find that unsustainable, IME Spinny = stamina, but everyone's different.
  • DonDaddyD
    I think I'm going to spin for a large part of this year see where that gets me.

I don't naturally 'spin' at high rpm's so I think I'm going to add this to my development.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I tend go with what feels like a natural pedal stroke. Too fast, and my hips start to bob and rock. Too big a gear, and I look as if I'm pedalling squares. On the flat, this usually means a 53 gear; on the hills, I'm seated and in the 39. Often depends on how the legs feel on a particular day, too.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    itboffin wrote:
    BJ is the one to ask about riding using your GI, I seem to remember him having a small print out on his top tube.

I've taken that off now as I've settled into one preferred gear (about 74GI) and just change as the terrain or a scalping opportunity dictates!

I think my preferred style is to ride slightly mashy i.e I like to feel some resistance to my pedaling in general, but I'm also trying out spinny for climbing
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    cjcp wrote:
    I tend go with what feels like a natural pedal stroke. Too fast, and my hips start to bob and rock. Too big a gear, and I look as if I'm pedalling squares. On the flat, this usually means a 53 gear; on the hills, I'm seated and in the 39. Often depends on how the legs feel on a particular day, too.

Yeah, I agree, I just stick it in whatever gear feels comfortable. Never had a cadence meter so not sure how many RPM I usually do
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Yeah, I agree, I just stick it in whatever gear feels comfortable. Never had a cadence meter so not sure how many RPM I usually do

You don't need a cadence meter for that :wink:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    i like to spiny, my average RPM is normally over 100. and my max sometimes around 160rpm. fairly easy to keep speed up.
    Although i like to go from around 40rpm to 140rpm in one gear. it always feel good out accelerating someone when in a bigger gear. they take the lead but you quickly take it back.
  • markp2
    markp2 Posts: 162
    I think it is down to personal build. Eack of my legs must weigh 25kg each so the inertia involved in my feet changing direction 280 times a minute is considerable. If you are a skinny lightweight, greater pedalling speed is easier to do.
    My normal cadence is in the 70-90rpm range, only below or above this when going up or down steepish hills.
    Genesis Croix de Fer - my new commuting mount
    Saracen Hytrail - the workhorse - now pensioned off
    Kinetic-One FK1 roadie - the fast one - hairy legs though!
    Cannondale Jekyll Lefty MTB - the muddy one which keeps tipping me into gorse bushes!
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    You will wear out your shorts more quickly.
  • itboffin
    DonDaddyD wrote:

I don't naturally 'spin' at high rpm's so I think I'm going to add this to my development.

I was thinking about this on the way in this morning and have decided to grind in - spin out actually makes no difference to the journey time, I find its a nice balance.

That will all go out the window come the summer and I start taking the really hilly commute. :?
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    itboffin wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

I was thinking about this on the way in this morning and have decided to grind in - spin out actually makes no difference to the journey time, I find its a nice balance.

That will all go out the window come the summer and I start taking the really hilly commute. :?

You planning on going Waterloo > Kings Cross via Tower Hill then :lol:
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • itboffin
    itboffin wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

You planning on going Waterloo > Kings Cross via Tower Hill then :lol:

KOM eat your heart out :lol:
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,376
    It may seem weird but I think you are in the right gear when you are no longer aware that you are pedalling. Think TDF domestique on a long flat stage.

Badly put maybe, but think about it.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    It may seem weird but I think you are in the right gear when you are no longer aware that you are pedalling.

Downhill :D
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • Bugly
    Bugly Posts: 520
    beetween 90 and 94 rpm is most comfortable for me I feel a little bouncy on the saddle when I get to 120 or so. Less then that feels uncomfortable with any pressure on the pedals. I guess I change down when cadence drops below 90 and up when above 100.
  • DonDaddyD
    So last night I set upon my task of spinny instead of mashy.

I rode down Kings way, that was fine. Over Wimbledon bridge, the reduced speed was getting to me but all was good.

Turn right towards Lambeth North tube and then over the crossing onto Kennington Road. Jesus Christ, did every cyclist have wheatabix for lunch?

Hybrids were touching 25mph. Road bikes a tad faster. There was a group ahead of me, feet a blur and cars surprisingly giving way while they flew up the road, through Clapham and Balham.

Me? I'm in the big ring and somewhere in the middle to lower regions of my rear cassette, my pride had won out and my spinny intentions had turned into a full on stomp-fest.

My fastest commute home. And my cycle computer? It's telling me I topped out at 30.3mph.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    edited January 2010
    I wonder how sustainable mashing is? All well and good on a commute but surely bound to lead to problems on long rides. Not tried it - so cant say really.
  • DonDaddyD
    Essentially when I say mashing I mean spinning a bigger gear (primarily in the big ring) at slower revs.

One of the things I've found is that a similar gear inch in the smaller ring (but lower rear cog) is arguably easier to sustain than being in the big ring and in a high/mid range rear cog.

Discuss/dispute.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Slow1972
    Slow1972 Posts: 362
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    One of the things I've found is that a similar gear inch in the smaller ring (but lower rear cog) is arguably easier to sustain than being in the big ring and in a high/mid range rear cog.

Discuss/dispute.

If the gear inch is the same and your cadence is the same it shouldnt make any difference to how you feel whether you are achieving that gear length with the big ring or the small one, your legs are doing the same amount of work to achieve the same speed in either combo. Any perceived difference should only be because of an actual difference in gear size.
  • tailwindhome
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Discuss/dispute.

I don't dispute that this is your experience

I find the opposite to be true

BIg Ring - Mid Cog rolls better than Small Ring Small Cog

Someone somewhere is working themselves into a fit of rage that you would even consider being in the Small Ring - Small Cog combo

Won't someone think of the chain!!!!!
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • DonDaddyD
    How's that work?

Small ring and small cogs are closer to a straight line than big ring small cogs.
    Food Chain number = 4

• tailwindhome
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    How's that work?

Small ring and small cogs are closer to a straight line than big ring small cogs.

I think you'll find they're not
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    I tend to ride with an RPM in the 80's, which I gather is fairly "mashy". Downhill I've been over 100rpm, but I can't imagine doing that on the flat or all ride long. It feels very wierd to me.

Whatever rpm you do, I would have thought the best gear to be in would be one that gives you a few options either side of your current gear to handle those gentle little gradient/surface/wind direction changes easily. If your at the top or bottom of the cassette you have to change front and back just to change 1 gear ratio, which is a bit of a faf.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    How's that work?

Dude.

The smaller cogs at the front/bottom of the cassette (the last three) will offer a straighter line when you are in the smaller front rings (the middle) on my crankset.

I have 8 speeds.
    Food Chain number = 4

• tailwindhome
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    How's that work?

Dude.

The smaller cogs at the front/bottom of the cassette (the last three) will offer a straighter line when you are in the smaller front rings (the middle) on my crankset.

I have 8 speeds.

Didn't consider the granny factor

However I still think you're wrong. (ish)

The smallest cog must be more in line with the biggest chain ring than the middle chain ring.

Not sure about each bigger cog. Though there will be a point were the line is straighter to the middle ring.