Nasal sensation during hard riding

terongi
terongi Posts: 318
bear with me here.

When I have been riding a really hard effort for a while, I get this sensation inside my nose. It's like a cross between static electricity and a burning smell.

It happens on the turbo trainer and on the road, so it is not the turbo machinery or the bike. It definitely feels like it is coming from inside me, rather than externally.

It does not affect my performance and it is not painful, I'm just curious whether anyone else gets it and if anyone knows what causes it.

Feel free to take the p*ss if you haven't got anything helpful to say.

Many thanks

Comments

• ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    A taste of metal/blood in the mouth is a sign one is pushing things... perhaps this is something similar?
  • terongi
    terongi Posts: 318
    You think maybe it's a smell of blood in the nose? I don't get a nose bleed.

Why would you get a smell/taste of blood during hard effort anyway?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    It's just what happens. It's a taste, not actual bleeding. Maybe something to do with lactic acid, who knows??
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    I used to get it when I was a podgy unfit teenager - but now I'm just podgy & old (and fitter despite everything!!) I haven't experinced blood/metal taste in the mouth for years.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    Exercise definitely has a big effect on the sinuses and nasal membranes, you produce more snot to protect the membranes, catch more dust etc while you are breathing hard. Or if you don't, then maybe the breathing irritates the membranes. Or both. Or whatever. Everyone's different. If your septum is deviated you might get symptoms in one nostril and not the other.