What spd shoes do you use?

little wiser
little wiser Posts: 662
edited February 2010 in MTB general
Hi as title says really what spd shoes do you use, i use dhb ones they are good but not much grip when running (while racing) but other wise have been good.
Been thinking of getting something else but thought i would ask what you all use and find good or bad :D .

Comments

• Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    Specialized BG Comp here... they're comfy enough and have lasted a couple of years. No problems at all. I also have a pair of Shimano DX as well but I mostly use those for flats and rarely shove the spds on them.
  • I have the Shimano M182N, got them dead cheap off CycleStore. Tehy're quite for walking in boggy conditions as they have the studs up front. However I doubt they'll be anygood for running as theyve got quite a stiff sole for max power input into the pedals.
    Giant XTC SE 2006
    Cube LTD Race 2009
    Trek Fuel EX 9
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    Mp66's (the DX ones) very,very good.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,097
    bontrager - not good, either too tight or too loose!
  • richen
    richen Posts: 156
    i use gearne and they are fantastic
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    Specialized bg pros or something. Ratchet and carbon sole. Best shoes out there imo, and lots would agree.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Northwave Celcius in winter, which are alright, not particularly great shoes, but warm.

Spesh S-Works in summer, which are great, but I think I'd get the Pros if buying again.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    SPDs? Pah! I spit on your feet!
  • Eranu
    Eranu Posts: 712
    I use Bontragers with no fitting issues at all :)

Bring your mouth closer you can taste my cleats ;)
  • mkf
    mkf Posts: 242
    i'v used several spech, shimano, gearne but the ones i took a chance on were from lidl for £16 they are great
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Cobblers to the lot of you :lol:

2 pairs of Lidl/Aldi specials
    1 pair of under used Lake winter boots which had an airing today
    1 pair of Lake MX85 MTB Shoes on their way from Portsmouth with some Haribos hopefully
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Eranu
    Eranu Posts: 712
    1 pair of Lake MX85 MTB Shoes on their way from Portsmouth with some Haribos hopefully

I ninja'd your Haribo ;)
  • redvee
    Eranu wrote:

I ninja'd your Haribo ;)

I also get my Haribos from Bill's shop in Bristol, much cheaper than spending money on bike stuff in the hope they haven't eaten themselves.
  • supersonic wrote:
    I know times are hard but have you took to shining shoes then :D
  • joec1
    joec1 Posts: 494
    Spec Taho's :)
    www.settingascene.com - MTBing in Wilts and the southwest, join up for info and ride details.
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    Spesh BG Comp - I love the ratchet system!
  • Spesh Taho MTB shoe.

They're ok but not so good for winter riding, too many mesh panels.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    Currently using Spesh BG Comps..previous Shimano.
  • Spesh BG Sport.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • redvee
    Eranu wrote:

I ninja'd your Haribo ;)

FAIL! Haribos arrived with the free shoes today :lol:
  • The spesh ones seem to be what everyone rates whats the fit like in genral i;e i take a size 43 in shimano road shoes and in dhb mtb shoes would like to get best price which would prob mean intenet :oops: , allthough local bike shop is a specialized dealer :D .
  • Northwave Lizzard for summer
    Northwave Celcius GTX for winter

I've got wide feet with high arches and find them very comfortable
  • Atz wrote:
    Specialized BG Comp here... they're comfy enough and have lasted a couple of years. No problems at all. I also have a pair of Shimano DX as well but I mostly use those for flats and rarely shove the spds on them.

+1 for the Specialized, I know I have the BG one's, but as to what level, I would have no idea, as unfortunately, they don't have it written on them...apart from that they're a fantastic shoe: light, comfortable, stiff, fairly gripping when running (haven't tested them out in mud yet. Because it's summer in Australia at the moment, and we don't usually get much rain anyway :P
    92% of teenagers have turned to rap. If your one of the 8% that still listens to real music put this in your sig

Walk (Ride) softly and carry a big fish

Yay, 100 hundred posts :-)
  • ashleymp777
    ashleymp777 Posts: 1,212
    I went mental last week and spoilt myself - after 4yrs with my Spesh BG Comps (which were absolutely fantastic by the way!), I bought a pair of SIDI Dragon SRS carbon 2 shoes from Cyclesurgery, and I have to say you certainly know why they're worth a bit more money! My god, they fitted like a glove and were just lovely to ride with.
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    Another Spesh BG user..just the slightly cheaper Velcro ones though...very good for fair weather, very well ventilated...which is great in the summer, but translates as "lets lots of water in" in the winter if you don't use over shoes. I also have a Vans Warner SPDS...Not as "racey" but work really well with Shimano DX SPD pedals..and are more comfortable to walk in ( I use them on my AM bike so often pushing up sections, drop-offs etc.)
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Spesh Tahos (with BG) - not very waterproof but with Sealskinz, who cares? Comfy, grippy and don't look too "special needs" like many cycle shoes.
  • *AL*
    *AL* Posts: 1,185
    Yet another Spesh BG user.

I have Tahoe's when I'm faffing around with the family, and some of their excellent Mountain Pro carbon soles for when I'm trying to be a little more serious.
  • deejay.
    deejay. Posts: 665
    Thinking of going for some Shimano M086 - look comfy and decent enough for 3 season riding. Will try some on this week. You can run studs up-front on these too.
    He's more machine now than man. Twisted and evil...
  • Shimano M122N - the silver and black 'uns not the crazy blue versions 8)
    '03 Specialized HR Comp
    '10 Cube LTD Team
    '10 Boardman FS Team - gone but not forgotten!
    '11 Giant Anthem X4