Recomend me a new bike

Rich158
Rich158 Posts: 2,348
edited January 2010 in Commuting chat
OK boys and girls, it's new bike time :lol:

My old bike scheme is about to expire, and it seems criminal not to get another one going given the savings that can be made. Given our IT rules here searching through the day is out, I've already had one bollocking for that :shock: and being naturally lazy I though I'd let you lot argue it out and come up with a short list for me

I'm looking for something in the region of £1500, that's available from a shop in the cyclescheme somewhere in central or south London, Carbon would be nice, it should be race orientated, drops are a pre-requisite, definately no CX perversions, and I prefer the big S for groupsets (stand well back and let the flack fly)
pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2

Comments

• Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    Not Carbon, but CAAD9 would fit the bill. Never ridden one myself but those who have rate it higher than the budget carbons.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Planet X?

They'll do a few builds for that budget and Geoffrey Butler in Croydon does them.
  • OK, just been through the same decision process (I ended up paying just over £1.5k for my Scott), but my purchase was ultimately more sportive/long-ride oriented (I'm no racer!), but here was the list that I considered (all LBS available)

Scott CR1 Team/Elite/Pro or Addict R4 (closer to £2k, but much more race oriented)
    Orbea Onix
    Trek Madone 4.5 (You've already got a madone though - right?)
    Cannondale CAAD9 or Six Carbon
    Felt Z5
    Viner Galdius/Magnifica
    Wilier Mortirolo
    Spec Roubaix
    Giant TCR

I test rode pretty much all of them, but ended up going for the Scott based on how it handled for me - it is yet to get out much, but it is a great bike.

Good luck!!
  • How about this - full SRAM red and the frame is great - £1570

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Sale/26/Focus ... 360037586/

:?:
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Pinarello FP2 2010? A little over budget but... well it's a Pinarello!
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Kuota Kharma
    Wilier Mortirolo
    Bianchi Infinito or C2C
    Trek 2.5
    Planet X
    Condor Cycles

Too be honest, is there a shortage of bikes? I just went to DeVer and Evans cycles and both seemed to have half the stock that they have had in the past.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • il_principe
  • Rich158
    markshaw77 wrote:
    Trek Madone 4.5 (You've already got a madone though - right?)

The Madone is dead and it looks like I'll be taking the insurance co. to court in order to get a payout :twisted: This is a temporary measure that can be sold at little loss if the payout ever comes and will get me through the summer. Good list, it'll give me something to do over the weekend

Cheers for the suggestions guys, IP I'm not saying that Pinarello recomendation was predictable, but there are little known tribes in the Amazon who saw that coming :wink:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • il_principe
    monty-python-spanish-inquisition.jpg
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Man, that Focus is a good deal. Can you do Wiggle? I can guarantee the bike is a good'un.
  • Last year Cycling Plus voted the Giant TCR Advanced bike of the year IIRC, so that's worth adding to your possibles. I have a Madonne 5.2SL (06 model) which I love dearly but the Giant is a nicer bike to ride.
  • DonDaddyD
    I would say Giant but there prices have gone up so much that even looking at them is like being slapped in the face.

A Giant TCR 3 with 105, £1950. The Giant Defy Advance 3 with 105 £1750.

Seems to me the worse thing to happen to Giant being sold in England was the Cycling Plus Bike of the year award. Giant's used to be reasonably priced and often marginally cheaper than Trek and Specialized.

(Kuota on the other hand have mostly stayed the same).
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Scott Addict?

Van Nicholas Mistral? - Not carbon but oooooohhhh!
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    biondino wrote:
    Man, that Focus is a good deal. Can you do Wiggle? I can guarantee the bike is a good'un.

+1

I own this model and although I've thrown a some major upgrades at it to get the weight down it's a great frame and fork. The SRAM Red is an awsome bit of kit.

Gutted I paid £2000 last summer for it as well!
  • Gazzaputt wrote:
    biondino wrote:

+1

I own this model and although I've thrown a some major upgrades at it to get the weight down it's a great frame and fork. The SRAM Red is an awsome bit of kit.

Gutted I paid £2000 last summer for it as well!

Out of interest what did you upgrade?

I've got the chorus version but am changing the wheels to fuclrum zeros in the spring time.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    3127-14555-full-dogma_red-2.jpg

Might need to add a few quid of your own though
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Clever Pun wrote:

Just get a contract with Sky - they want British riders. :) You'd have to have a blue one though. And Shimano. Ah well, maybe not such a good idea :wink: .
  • il_principe
    *Swoons.
  • Rich158
    Last year Cycling Plus voted the Giant TCR Advanced bike of the year IIRC, so that's worth adding to your possibles. I have a Madonne 5.2SL (06 model) which I love dearly but the Giant is a nicer bike to ride.

When I got my Madone 5.2 Pro I tested it against the Giant extensively and much preferred the Madone. I guess it's just down to personal tastes.

I'm erring towards the Cannondale, a Condor Acciaio, or maybe the Willier Motirolo, but I think the Condor may win. I need to be able to get any bike though the Cyclescheme as that will fund the first £1k so Wiggle is out, but Condor isn't :lol:

Revised FCN - 2
  • il_principe
    Rich - the Mortirolo is a stunning bike for the money. Wonderful bike and one that I will always regret selling - although I did replace it with the Prince. Defo worth a test ride - it's illegal to hang Shimano on it though, SKY should be shot for put S on their Dogmas.

:roll:
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Not Carbon, but CAAD9 would fit the bill. Never ridden one myself but those who have rate it higher than the budget carbons.

Rich - if you want it for racing and a temporary measure so you can re-sell again, I'd go for the CAAD9 - super stiff from what I've heard.

Alternatively, how about the PX Superlight Alu frame. I'm pondering that one for my next alu.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • DonDaddyD
    I think the Mortirolo wins out. Yes I bought the Kharma, I liked its unrefined rawness.

I tried a Mortirolo the day I bought the Kharma. The Kharma feels brutal when accelerating, climbing, braking, sprinting. The Mortirolo sort of glides towards its goal. You plant the Kharma into and out of a bend, the Mortirolo sort of flows through it. Everything the Mortirolo did was smooth. The difference was fascinating and I could have ridden away with either.

Only reason I didn't go for the Mortirolo (other than prefering the Kharma because it felt more fun) is because I would have wanted it to be the Izoard. It's a little like buying a Porsche Boxster when you really wanted a 911, you can never truly love it. I don't get that owning the Kharma I'm just happy with it.

(Note I didn't say the Kharma or the Mortirolo was better than the other).
    Food Chain number = 4

• il_principe
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I think the Mortirolo wins out. Yes I bought the Kharma, I liked its unrefined rawness.

I tried a Mortirolo the day I bought the Kharma. The Kharma feels brutal when accelerating, climbing, braking, sprinting. The Mortirolo sort of glides towards its goal. You plant the Kharma into and out of a bend, the Mortirolo sort of flows through it. Everything the Mortirolo did was smooth. The difference was fascinating and I could have ridden away with either.

Only reason I didn't go for the Mortirolo (other than prefering the Kharma because it felt more fun) is because I would have wanted it to be the Izoard. It's a little like buying a Porsche Boxster when you really wanted a 911, you can never truly love it. I don't get that owning the Kharma I'm just happy with it.

Ah DDD, that entire post is tinged with regret...
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun wrote:

Just get a contract with Sky - they want British riders. :) You'd have to have a blue one though. And Shimano. Ah well, maybe not such a good idea :wink: .

shimaNO
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Clever Pun
    Rich158 wrote:
    Last year Cycling Plus voted the Giant TCR Advanced bike of the year IIRC, so that's worth adding to your possibles. I have a Madonne 5.2SL (06 model) which I love dearly but the Giant is a nicer bike to ride.

When I got my Madone 5.2 Pro I tested it against the Giant extensively and much preferred the Madone. I guess it's just down to personal tastes.

I'm erring towards the Cannondale, a Condor Acciaio, or maybe the Willier Motirolo, but I think the Condor may win. I need to be able to get any bike though the Cyclescheme as that will fund the first £1k so Wiggle is out, but Condor isn't :lol:

my squadra was 1500 back in the day veloce base but fancy wheels etc... might be worth it for a few quid if you ask me.
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • DonDaddyD
    edited January 2010
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Only reason I didn't go for the Mortirolo (other than prefering the Kharma because it felt more fun) is because I would have wanted it to be the Izoard (couldn't afford it). It's a little like buying a Porsche Boxster when you really wanted a 911, you can never truly love it. I don't get that owning the Kharma I'm just happy with it.

Ah DDD, that entire post is tinged with regret...

I knew someone was going to write that. My money was on either you or CleverPun.

I like the Mortirolo I really do but I couldn't own one because I could never truly love it.

I love the Kharma.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Rich158
    cjcp wrote:

Rich - if you want it for racing and a temporary measure so you can re-sell again, I'd go for the CAAD9 - super stiff from what I've heard.

Alternatively, how about the PX Superlight Alu frame. I'm pondering that one for my next alu.

I'm really tempted with the CAAD9, there's always the possibility that come the payout I'll have enough for a worthy replacement for the Mad one and will keep the whatever I get now for racing.

Lets be honest I was always going to keep it anyway :lol:

DDD I understand your quandry, I know if I get the Motirolo it might be a perfectly good bike, but it'll never be an Izoard

Revised FCN - 2
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Rich158 wrote:
    I'm really tempted with the CAAD9, there's always the possibility that come the payout I'll have enough for a worthy replacement for the Mad one and will keep the whatever I get now for racing.

As I'm not a racing snake, and with the risk of damaging the bike in a pile-up, I'd buy a better bike for sportives than racing.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    biondino wrote:

Noooo... I've got one. would hate to clash at the next social :p
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • Rich158
    cjcp wrote:
    Rich158 wrote:

As I'm not a racing snake, and with the risk of damaging the bike in a pile-up, I'd buy a better bike for sportives than racing.

You speak sense oh wise one, having crashed the Mad one at Crystal Palace last year I'd be very reticent about racing a carbon bike again, well in Crits anyway.

That sounds like an entirely logical and plausible excuse for another two bikes doesn't it :lol:

Revised FCN - 2