Any doctors or parents about? Chicken Pox advise!!!

Gav888
Gav888 Posts: 946
My little girl has just been diagnosed with chicken pox :( and although she is my priority im worried about catching shingles due to training....

From what I understand training lowers your immune systems for a period of time post training and also I seem to be catching loads of colds at the moment, just got over my 4th one since October! and with my daughter now having chicken pox would the likely hood of all this increase my chances of catching shingles?

Do you think its best to stop working out for a couple of weeks until the scab's have healed, or maybe workout when she has gone to bed?

Any advise would be welcome :)

Thanks
Cycling never gets any easier, you just go faster - Greg LeMond

Comments

• jacster
    jacster Posts: 177
    Quarantine your daughter to the garage!

Seriously, I'd be more worried about looking after her than catching shingles myself.
  • Gav888
    Dont worry about my daughter, she is my top priority and will be looked after very well :)

Im just wondering if I should stop training for a few weeks until she gets better....
  • jacster
    jacster Posts: 177
    Well my understanding is that it's not possible to catch shingles from someone who has chicken pox.
    If you've had chicken pox you could get shingles at some time in your life...but you won't 'catch' it from your daughter.
  • Barrie_G
    Barrie_G Posts: 479
    jacster wrote:
    Well my understanding is that it's not possible to catch shingles from someone who has chicken pox.
    If you've had chicken pox you could get shingles at some time in your life...but you won't 'catch' it from your daughter.

+1 this is my understanding of it aswell, you need to have had chicken pox at some stage in your life for you to be able to develope shingles.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    +2. If you've had chicken pox, the virus lays dormant in your nervous system and can flare up at a later date to cause shingles. Stress is a common trigger (I had shingles when I first went off to Uni)

Shingles is contagious, ie you can give the virus to somebody who hasn't been infected before and they will develop chicken pox.
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    jacster wrote:

that's what the doctor told me when I had shingles too.
    Basically the virus lies dormant in your nervous system and leaps out and grabs you at an inopportune moment.
    In my case, just after a bunch of imunisations prior to going abroad.
  • Gav888
    Nice, thanks for all the info guys... :D