edited January 2010 in Pro race
Which of ‘Incapie’s bikes looks “right?”

IMG_9939.jpg

_dsc5894_600.jpg
Infinite diversity, infinte variations

Comments

• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    The Trek is revolting. The BMC is a very good bike - not much of a fan of the scheme but it isn't too bad.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Being tall, I think you have to adjust accordingly. Not a fan of any of those schemes though.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Hincapie_bike8_roadbikeaction.jpg

That looks better than both of them.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Isn't that the Trek that broke during Paris-Roubaix?

I prefer the BMC but there's a reason bike catalogues usually feature 54cm frames, the proportions are more easy on the eye.
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    Kléber wrote:
    Isn't that the Trek that broke during Paris-Roubaix?

Yup.
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Hincapie%20fork.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Of the Scott, Trek and BMC I'd take the BMC - but then again I do prefer the look of bigger frames too - bikes don't look right without a bit of head tube between the top and down tubes.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Being subjective I'd say that anything other than a 56cm frame just looks wrong.
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    The geomatry of the Trek looks very old-fashioned (or classic, whichever is your opinion). Both paint jobs are awful - completely over the top.

Personally, I can't look much beyond the Cervelos in terms of pure aesthetics - the S3 looks built for speed and the R3/R3SL chunky/bombproof, but still gets the proportions right.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Moontrane wrote:
    Which of ‘Incapie’s bikes looks “right?”

IMG_9939.jpg

_dsc5894_600.jpg

"right" in what respect. :? :? :?
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850

Personally, I can't look much beyond the Cervelos in terms of pure aesthetics

Can I suggest humbly that you get out more? You might want to start by googling 'Colnago' :wink:

Strava is not Zen.
  • Philip S
    Philip S Posts: 398
    I'm not a big fan of how the seat stays joining the seat tube looks on either of those...
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    is it that the reg plate on the car behind is BMC?
    cartoon.jpg
  • Never been a fan of Trek however BMC bikes for many years now make my knees weak. I love the frame design but the colour not so much.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Never been a fan of Trek however BMC bikes for many years now make my knees weak. I love the frame design but the colour not so much.

Sounds UN-AMERICAN.. :wink:
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    calvjones wrote:

Can I suggest humbly that you get out more? You might want to start by googling 'Colnago' :wink:

I googled "ugly lugged carbon with over-rated Italian junk gears" and it took me straight to the Colnago site

:)
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,560
    dougzz wrote:
    calvjones wrote:

I googled "ugly lugged carbon with over-rated Italian junk gears" and it took me straight to the Colnago site

Weird, I was thinking the only one that looked any good is the BMC, because it does NOT have Shimano bits... :)
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • rockmount
    rockmount Posts: 761
    Weird, I was thinking the only one that looked any good is the BMC, because it does NOT have Shimano bits... :)
    Why ? In your experience, does it not work ? is it not race proven ? is it unreliable ? enlighten me !
    .. who said that, internet forum people ?
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    I believe this thread was headed 'Totally Subjective'

Which is 100% spot on.

Does anyone really think a GT has been won or lost on the make of bike/parts.

AC would have won the last TdF on £1K bike with Shimano 105 groupset or the SRAM or Campag equivalents.

I usually feel compelled to bite on the Italian fanboy crap, because it's always suggested it's in some way superior, and no doubt some self deluding Luigi wannabee will be along shortly to leave their stamp.

This is not a pop at Wheelspinner as I believe his remarks were as tongue in cheek as mine.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,560
    rockmount wrote:
    Why ? In your experience, does it not work ? is it not race proven ? is it unreliable ? enlighten me !

Well, someone has had a complete sense of humour bypass, haven't you?

At least dougzz seems to have got the point.

Perhaps since you appear to have missed it, I commented that the only one that LOOKED any good was the BMC. This means I think that Campagnolo componentry is better looking that the Shimano stuff (and SRAM for that matter to me), especially that crankset on the Scott with the SRM power meter, which is as ugly as a hatful of ar$ehole$, as they say...

I made no comparative judgement on the relative performance of any of the parts in any way. So why do you think I did?? Can you not understand a simple sentence?

Incidentally, I have five bikes in the garage. Three have Campagnolo componentry on them, and the other two are Dura Ace on a roadie and Deore XT and XTR on the MTB.

Shimano stuff works wonderfully well, but a little variety is not a bad thing?
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Moontrane
    Moontrane Posts: 233
    I prefer the Trek frame to the BMC, and the Trek’s colors are less of a strain on the eyes. The color scheme of the Scott posted by Francis DDolarhyde (nice entry) is tops, IMO.

The larger sizes do throw things off a bit, I think.

Hank Stamper, just trying to get a perspective from cycling fans.

<<Aside>> The San Marco saddle is just awful but better than the other 10 medieval torture devices I’ve tried.
    Infinite diversity, infinte variations
  • rockmount
    rockmount Posts: 761
    Incidentally, I have five bikes in the garage. Three have Campagnolo componentry on them, and the other two are Dura Ace on a roadie and Deore XT and XTR on the MTB.

Good for you, do you ever go out on any of them ?
    .. who said that, internet forum people ?
  • mercsport
    mercsport Posts: 664
    I'll never accept deep section aero wheel rims as an aesthetic 'given'. They ain't. And on that score alone both of the bikes illustrated at the top of the thread have blown-it.

I accept that there are some good looking carbon frames around now. Again, I don't see them at the top of this thread.

Yes, I know, I should do some homework and illustrate by example, but have to jump ship just now.
    "Lick My Decals Off, Baby"
  • calvjones
    dougzz wrote:
    calvjones wrote:

Oops.. you forgot [tinhat] [/tinhat] around that...

Strava is not Zen.
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    calvjones wrote:

Well, as always, it's a matter of personal taste. Personally, I don't think Colnagos are anything like a attractive as they used to be - they seem to have gone down the road of many other Italian bike firms (Basso, Viner, Pinarello etc) in terms of look, shape and paint finish. Sometimes less is more - I preferred the C40 & C50.
  • calvjones
    rockmount wrote:

Good for you, do you ever go out on any of them ?

Alternatively, Rock, you could have said 'sorry, I mis-read your post'.

Strava is not Zen.
  • calvjones
    calvjones wrote:

Well, as always, it's a matter of personal taste. Personally, I don't think Colnagos are anything like a attractive as they used to be - they seem to have gone down the road of many other Italian bike firms (Basso, Viner, Pinarello etc) in terms of look, shape and paint finish. Sometimes less is more - I preferred the C40 & C50.

Yes, I must admit I had a Master X floating around my head when I wrote that.

Strava is not Zen.
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    The BMC looks great cuz it's modern. The bike and rider combo looks fekin hot: http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/santos ... tos/101341

The Trek looks nasty because the sun picks up the large seat cluster which most bikes have done away with to provide "vertical compliance".

What's amazing is where he gets the Selle Italia Turbomatic saddles from: http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/pho ... x01/101826

Could be one of those "own stocks" pros keep of something they like - Lance and his Shimano Dura Ace Look pedals or Tinker Juarez's egg beaters they stopped making. It's one of my all time favourite comfortable saddles, even tho it might not be the best for really aggressive riding - a WTB Silverado gives my thighs more freedom: http://www.euroasiaimports.com/productc ... oduct=7809

vs this:

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/photos/2 ... WTB_saddle
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Thats the new Turbomatic, launched last year, that Hincapie is using
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    Well I'll be. Looks like Selle Italia was paying attention to eBay and like the Mini, VW Bug, Fiat 500 they're relaunching the Turbomatic.

Who'd have thought that Wired magazine would have a write up on it?:

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/11/ ... ic-saddle/
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.