2»

Comments

• MikeWW
    MikeWW Posts: 723
    Not seen that-thanks
    Looks worth a go
  • mattisard
    mattisard Posts: 12
    I wasn't dropped it was just no one noticed I was about to lap them that is why I looked tired!

that is a great quote :)
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    What sort of "standard" you reckon the bunch I was in was racing at saltayre in Lancaster? It's a flat circuit and we averaged around 24.3mph, was some tough wind and us wheelers where taking turns on the front mainly. The bunch consisted of people from beginners like me up to proper fast racers I believe like cat 1, probably sitting in there for a nice social ride pace for them. 31 miles it was like.

If that is cat4 sort of speed then damn I'm shocked, it's harder than I thought as I was being pushed to my limit on some small bits, like when I was on the front for abit. Can't imagine what Cat1 is like.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,385
    Most higher category racing takes place on open road circuits with more hills and longer distances and speeds are therefore usually no higher than the race you did. I used to race 1/2/3 and 3/J when I was a 3rd cat (pre 4th cat era) and to be honest there wasn't much in it other than the longer distance. The 1/2/3 was usually smoother and they tended to be won by the better riders breaking away fairly early on while us mere mortals fought it out together. That was a while ago though so not sure if it has changed.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    freehub wrote:
    What sort of "standard" you reckon the bunch I was in was racing at saltayre in Lancaster? It's a flat circuit and we averaged around 24.3mph, was some tough wind and us wheelers where taking turns on the front mainly. The bunch consisted of people from beginners like me up to proper fast racers I believe like cat 1, probably sitting in there for a nice social ride pace for them. 31 miles it was like.

If that is cat4 sort of speed then damn I'm shocked, it's harder than I thought as I was being pushed to my limit on some small bits, like when I was on the front for abit. Can't imagine what Cat1 is like.

Will, that Salt Ayre race was a lot easier than the Cat 4 race I did the week before...

The average speed was about the same but the Cat 4 consisted of 2 hairpins, one of which you were slowing down to 15-17 mph for, the other about 19-20 for...

However, I'm still utter garbage at both!
  • Ramanujan
    Ramanujan Posts: 352
    Most higher category racing takes place on open road circuits with more hills and longer distances and speeds are therefore usually no higher than the race you did. I used to race 1/2/3 and 3/J when I was a 3rd cat (pre 4th cat era) and to be honest there wasn't much in it other than the longer distance. The 1/2/3 was usually smoother and they tended to be won by the better riders breaking away fairly early on while us mere mortals fought it out together. That was a while ago though so not sure if it has changed.

the 4th cat races I did a Hillingdon were very very easy if you were sitting in the bunch. You could chat and watch the scenery if you wanted.
    However, when I went up to 3rd cat and entered a few E123 races at Hillingdon, it was all I could do to just hang on to the back of the bunch almost getting dropped several times,

The difference was chalk and cheese.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    I don't care what you all say. I still find them f%cking hard. :oops: