Overtraining and dehydration - a warning!

2»

Comments

• Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    ironmike wrote:
    sounds like you got your legs ripped off and are now just making up an excuse

Only ever have had one leg ripped off. And if you don't know what that means, perhaps you shouldn't be posting in my threads.
  • reppohkcor
    reppohkcor Posts: 111
    edited January 2010
    holmeboy wrote:
    While on the subject of (De)hydration , can anyone tell me why sometimes I can drink a lot in a day and very seldom urinate, and other times the opposite, Barely drink but pee a lot. I think i drink pretty much the same every day. :?

You urinate more due to certain minerals entering your body (like salt) this can change drastically from day to day due to diet. Build up of toxins etc (this is the reason why we urinate... to rid of toxins)
  • see above
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Would have though you noticed how dark your pixss was indicating de hydration :D
    Bad idea taking just water as water alone will not re hydrate you.
    Try a couple of sachets of diaorahlite ( no idea how to spell it) from chemist, it is used to rehydrate kids after diorhea, works fine :D
  • chrisw12
    chrisw12 Posts: 1,246
    Pokerface wrote:
    ironmike wrote:

Only ever have had one leg ripped off. And if you don't know what that means, perhaps you shouldn't be posting in my threads.

oooooo. Ouch, that's a great comeback.
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    holmeboy wrote:
    While on the subject of (De)hydration , can anyone tell me why sometimes I can drink a lot in a day and very seldom urinate, and other times the opposite, Barely drink but pee a lot. I think i drink pretty much the same every day. :?
    how much you sweat will vary with the weather.more sweating and less peeing.
  • ironmike wrote:
    :lol::lol:
    yep, Poker and I both know about ripping legs off

Hey Poker - forgive me as I'm not entirely sure of your set up, but do you have much of an issue with sweat build up inside your liner?

I used to stop to take leg/lner off and drain/dry but have got a bit better acclimated and now seem to be able to drain most fluid as I ride by pulling top half of liner down to force most of the fluids out and then pull it back up again - use coasting for lights etc as the opportunity to do this quickly. Seems to enable me to do long rides without needing to remove anything.
  • Pokerface wrote:
    ironmike wrote:

listen pal, i'll post in any thread i want thanks.

You're very quick to lecture people on here about training, weight loss, nutrition etc and dish out snide comments to anyone who doesn't agree with you.

So just be a man and admit that you got trashed on a ride and couldn't take the pace, rather than coming up with some ludicrously overblown story about how you were dying of dehydration due to your tough man training sessions, cause it's just making you look like a bit of a muppet.

good luck with you racing next season :roll:
  • Pokerface
    ironmike wrote:
    :lol::lol:
    yep, Poker and I both know about ripping legs off

Hey Poker - forgive me as I'm not entirely sure of your set up, but do you have much of an issue with sweat build up inside your liner?

I used to stop to take leg/lner off and drain/dry but have got a bit better acclimated and now seem to be able to drain most fluid as I ride by pulling top half of liner down to force most of the fluids out and then pull it back up again - use coasting for lights etc as the opportunity to do this quickly. Seems to enable me to do long rides without needing to remove anything.

I get lots of fluid build up inside - yes. But it drains out the bottom into the socket most of the time. Liner gets slippery at times though. For cycle training I tend to stuff extra padding into the socket to keep things as sung as possible.

Will be looking at a new/lighter/more efficient set up in the near future though.
  • @Ironmike

If he was to just 'blow out' do you think he'd really have made a topic about it?

I think any creator of a topic would 'dish out snide comments' if someone came in and said something on the lines of 'sounds liek u suck n ur makin excuses!'.
  • Pokerface
    ironmike wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    ironmike wrote:

listen pal, i'll post in any thread i want thanks.

You're very quick to lecture people on here about training, weight loss, nutrition etc and dish out snide comments to anyone who doesn't agree with you.

So just be a man and admit that you got trashed on a ride and couldn't take the pace, rather than coming up with some ludicrously overblown story about how you were dying of dehydration due to your tough man training sessions, cause it's just making you look like a bit of a muppet.

good luck with you racing next season :roll:

OK "IRONMIKE" with all your experience and massive SIX post count - I can tell you've been around a really long time. Either that or you're a troll (much more likely). But I'll chose to feed you anyway...

This thread isn't about making excuses. I have a built-in excuse. I have only got one leg. That pretty much makes up for any shortcomings I might have on any training or racing outing I go on. And yet - I DON'T make excuses. If I get thrashed, I hold my hands up. And I get thrashed a LOT.

But I assure you, the blood in my p!ss, the migraines, the fever, dizziness, the trip to the hospital and the 3 days off work to recover were not just 'made up' so that I could look 'cool' on the forum. If I had a bad day of riding - I wouldn't need to make an excuse. I simply wouldn't say anything - it wasn't a race.

So - if you want to see what I'm really made of and how well I do or don't ride - feel free to show up to the Spring Fling training ride I'm organizing on March 7th. Until then - go troll somewhere else - because it is YOU that is coming across as the muppet here.
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    edited January 2010
    are you going to poke ironmike in his iron face pokerface? :shock:
    IF it is him, im with mike on this one. :?
  • Pokerface wrote:
    I get lots of fluid build up inside - yes. But it drains out the bottom into the socket most of the time. Liner gets slippery at times though. For cycle training I tend to stuff extra padding into the socket to keep things as sung as possible.

Will be looking at a new/lighter/more efficient set up in the near future though.
    Yeah - I use some semi-soft foam to pad out the socket and try to fill the gaps created when pedalling versus when standing up in it. I've discovered that padding behind my stump is better than trying to fill the gap in the front.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface wrote:

Yeah - I use some semi-soft foam to pad out the socket and try to fill the gaps created when pedalling versus when standing up in it. I've discovered that padding behind my stump is better than trying to fill the gap in the front.

I have multiple layers of padding behind also. Nothing in front. All the padding pushes the stump forward and protects the 'lip' of the socket where it can dig into the back of my knee. But it seems, no matter how tight it starts off, by the end of a long ride it's always still quite loose.
  • Pokerface wrote:
    I have multiple layers of padding behind also. Nothing in front. All the padding pushes the stump forward and protects the 'lip' of the socket where it can dig into the back of my knee. But it seems, no matter how tight it starts off, by the end of a long ride it's always still quite loose.
    Yeah - the rear of my socket is deliberately cut very low, never gets close to knee.

Yep, can loosen for sure.

I once thought if some kind of pumpable air bladder would work to provide controllable space filler - you know like the old Nike air pump shoes?
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface wrote:
    Yeah - the rear of my socket is deliberately cut very low, never gets close to knee.

Yep, can loosen for sure.

I once thought if some kind of pumpable air bladder would work to provide controllable space filler - you know like the old Nike air pump shoes?

You can get the type of socket/liner where you are essentially 'clipped in' to the whole socket. Not the same as what you're talking about though.

I tried it once but found it very uncomfortable. What they call a 'milking' sensation - always pulling down on the skin of the stump. But at least it holds you in place tighter.

I have a full cosmetic leg - I need to get something cut down and lighter just for racing I think. I have a spare that they could toy with as I never wear it.
  • This is mine:

IMG_0336.jpg

IMG_0337.jpg

and without outer fairing (although in current leg I have a simpler, lighter upper pylon clamp than this one:

IMG_0278.jpg

I had a special adapter made to connect standard 4 bolt pyramid block to a standard three hole cleat:

IMG_0267.jpg

IMG_0272.jpg

The hidden grub screws in the pyramid block clamp provide for all the angle adjustments you might need and of course you can rotate it however you like (and make any length you like):

IMG_0262.jpg

Note the rubber between adapter plate and cleat - that provides the lateral flex needed to simulate ankle flex so bike can rock underneath in a natural fashion:

IMG_0263.jpg
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Hmm. Very humbling.

Makes me determined to do more with my low tech OEM limbs.
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    Pokerface wrote:
    OK "IRONMIKE" with all your experience and massive SIX post count - I can tell you've been around a really long time.

Can we all have a willy waving contest about how many posts we have made? :wink::lol:
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • jacster
    jacster Posts: 177
    mrc1 wrote:

Can we all have a willy waving contest about how many posts we have made? :wink::lol:

I think the rate (ie how many per day) is important. :wink:
  • mrc1 wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    OK "IRONMIKE" with all your experience and massive SIX post count - I can tell you've been around a really long time.

I think it's more about the possibility of IRONMIKE being a troll.
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    mrc1 wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

I think it's more about the possibility of IRONMIKE being a troll.

Thanks for clarifying!! :roll:
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • Sorry, sarcasm is not easy to detect over the internet. :roll:
  • Pokerface
    mrc1 wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

Yup - it's when someone who has only ever made 6 posts (and 3 of them in this thread) comes on to criticize me and claims to know all about my posting history and the advice I give etc, - it's more likely he's a troll with a brand-spanking new username to play with - than an actual contributing person.

I wasn't saying that someone who has made 1000 posts is any brighter or better informed than someone who has made 100. Or 10 even.

Just than when you use post number 3 in your entire posting history to make a complete anus of yourself, well, it just reeks of a furry creature living under a bridge.
  • DanEvs
    DanEvs Posts: 640
    keef66 wrote:
    Hmm. Very humbling.

Makes me determined to do more with my low tech OEM limbs.

Yep I'd agree with that, fair play to you both for riding/racing at the level you do. 8)
  • Pokerface wrote:
    ironmike wrote:

Only ever have had one leg ripped off. And if you don't know what that means, perhaps you shouldn't be posting in my threads.[/quo

Ironmike you have shown your true colours !!! youve just shown the forum how to put a capital A in arsehole.........I would say that peaple like you are not what this forum is about.i hope youve made your mumma proud of you.
  • chrisw12
    chrisw12 Posts: 1,246
    I wasn't going to post much any more. Snow has gone and I've got to stop reading these forums and start training and sleeping but I keep coming back to this thread 'cause you guys are truly inspirational (Alex, Pokerface.)

The stupid comments are an inspiration in their own way as well, makes you determined to do your best.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Ironmike is rather obviously a troll...

'Pokerface' never, ever uses his situation as an excuse...
  • Pokerface
    ironmike wrote:

Yup - you got me. Both legs ripped off:

Legs.jpg

On top of the dehydration, it seems I was also suffering from a blood/tissue infection. So painful I can't walk at the moment. Not that I'm using that as an excuse or anything. :roll:
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    This is mine:

IMG_0336.jpg

IMG_0337.jpg

and without outer fairing (although in current leg I have a simpler, lighter upper pylon clamp than this one:

IMG_0278.jpg

I had a special adapter made to connect standard 4 bolt pyramid block to a standard three hole cleat:

IMG_0267.jpg

IMG_0272.jpg

The hidden grub screws in the pyramid block clamp provide for all the angle adjustments you might need and of course you can rotate it however you like (and make any length you like):

IMG_0262.jpg

Note the rubber between adapter plate and cleat - that provides the lateral flex needed to simulate ankle flex so bike can rock underneath in a natural fashion:

IMG_0263.jpg

You and Pokerface are simply inspirational..

Just felt like I needed to say that.