Forum home Road cycling forum Training, fitness and health

Post Ride Nutrition

AndsAnds Posts: 1,437
After a session my HRM tells my what %age of calories burned were fat calories - anything from 25%-55%, depending on type of session obviously.

My query is, should post-ride food be targeted at the type of session I have done? If so, what types of food?
Thanks

Posts

  • hopper1hopper1 Posts: 4,708
    Post ride, the first thing I have is a protein drink, that covers me until I've showered.
    After a shower, if it was a long ride (steady pace, or Tempo) I'll eat a pasta meal (carbs), if it was sub 1.5 hours, tehmn I'll have more protein...
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • AndsAnds Posts: 1,437
    Post ride I clean & oil my bike (aren't I good!), get showered/changed then rush out to get my daughter. Sometimes I don't eat for 90 mins or longer. I then get a bad lull mid-afternoon. I guess the answer is to grab something on the run as soon as I get back until I can eat properly.

    If a ride is a higher intensity is it protein I need to replenish then?
  • bobtbuilderbobtbuilder Posts: 2,058
    Sometimes I don't eat for 90 mins or longer.

    I think you're meant to get something in in the first 20 minutes to kick-start your recovery.
  • keef66keef66 Posts: 13,286
    I think the general idea is that longer rides deplete your muscle glycogen so carbs are favoured as recovery, while high intensity stuff will cause muscle damage so protein will be needed for repair / muscle adaptation.

    In practice both types of riding cause both types of effect so you need a mix of carbs and protein, maybe different ratio depending on the type of ride.

    I favour a pint of sweet tea and a couple of Hobnobs. Maybe that's why I'm so censored on the bike
  • AndsAnds Posts: 1,437
    keef66 wrote:

    I favour a pint of sweet tea and a couple of Hobnobs. Maybe that's why I'm so censored on the bike
    That's my idea of good, post-ride nutrition. (chocolate hob nobs, of course) :wink:
  • BhimaBhima Posts: 2,145
    The type of session doesn't really need different foods, in my experience. Then again, I eat a LOT, so probably cover most situations well.

    Hydration is the first thing you should do.

    A load of natural yoghurt thinned out with water/milk and liquidized with fruit will give you a lot of protein and some electrolytes.

    A big mouthful of honey will sort out your glycogen needs. It will also slow down water absorbtion if you have too much though, so if you blend it in to the above drink at a concentration of less than 8%, you should be ok.

    Jam is a good substitute, especially in a yoghurt drink, but honey is a good mix of Glucose and Fructose, whereas jam is usually Sucrose and a bit of Fructose.

    I usually blend up 800g of yoghurt, ~150ml milk/water, a banana, a pear + a big dollop of honey/jam and drink over an hour.
  • amaferangaamaferanga Posts: 6,789
    A glass of milk and some toast with jam straight after a hard session works for me.
    More problems but still living....
  • pianomanpianoman Posts: 706
    A glass of milk

    +1 from here, also an apple to begin replacing lost vitamins, though having a steady supply of apples in our house does help :P
  • prawnyprawny Posts: 5,414
    Chocolate chrusha, yummy.

    If you've got some make it with unflavoured whey powder and skimmed or semi skimmed milk. If you need to eat somethin on the run keep some cereal bars in the house like nutri grain or something.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • AndsAnds Posts: 1,437
    Bhima, I hadn't even thought about smoothies - so easy to make and a bit more refreshing. If I got my act together I could actually prepare these in advance. :)
  • AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 28,799
    I drink Boditronics Profusion Reloaded it is an all in one Muscle Building and Recovery shake. It is pretty cheap (about 80p per drink) from Affordable Supplements, Tastes great is very filling and has me ready for the next day. It has Carbs, Protein and Beta-Alanine (been proven to be very good for cyclists) amongst other chemicals :D

    Protein 44g
    Carbohydrates 20g (of which Sugars 10g)
    Fat 3.97g
    Fibre 3.7g
    Energy 292k cals

    +For Strength
    Micronised Creatine Monohydrate 4000mg
    L-Glutamine Peptides 3000mg
    Free Form L-Taurine 1500mg
    Beta Alanine 1500mg
    5-Methyl-7-Methoxy-Isoflavone 50mg
    Chelated Magnesium 265mg
    Chelated Zinc 25mg

    +Electrolytic Transport Blend
    Phosphorus 140mg
    Potassium 365mg
    Calcium 250mg
    Sodium 65mg

    +Antioxident formula
    Vitamin B6 25mg
    Vitamin C 50mg
    Vitamin E 10mg
  • BhimaBhima Posts: 2,145
    Ands wrote:
    Bhima, I hadn't even thought about smoothies - so easy to make and a bit more refreshing. If I got my act together I could actually prepare these in advance. :)

    It's best to stick it all in the blender in advance, keeping it refrigerated and only blending it up a couple of minutes before you actually need it. Otherwise, it'll all seperate, need re-blending and any fruit you put in it can go bad very very quickly.
  • hopper1hopper1 Posts: 4,708
    I'd steer well clear of the 'quick fix' smoothies!
    Jam, etc is going to give you an instant sugar hit, shortly followed by another slump in your energy.
    Ands, I give my bike a quick hose down, 10 mins max, then you need to be replacing the energy you've expended. You have a 20 min window, in which to optimise your intake.
    I use a protein powder, mixed with water - simple.
    Shower, then take time to prep something nourishing.
    Also, as mentioned above, Nutri Grain bars, Special K bars, etc.

    Then oil your bike :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • jordan_217jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Glass of milk or milkshake works a treat for me. I tend to go for light but filling meals such as beans or scrambled egg on toast, with cheese - preferably within 30 mins of finishing my session.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • sheffsimonsheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    prawny wrote:
    Chocolate chrusha, yummy.

    If you've got some make it with unflavoured whey powder and skimmed or semi skimmed milk. If you need to eat somethin on the run keep some cereal bars in the house like nutri grain or something.

    Strawberry chrusha is better than choc, choc doesnt mix properly IMO.

    + digestive biscuits (the best biscuit in the world, apart from Rich Tea sometimes)
  • Today I had a protein drink with a banana blended in, 2 bagels toasted with honey on 2 halves and peanut butter and plum jam on. About 3 hours later I made a couple of tortilla wraps with cheese/salad for main meal. At 0200 (as I'm on nights) I had a small bowl of chopped fruit and yoghurt.... that lot should keep me reg'ler....
  • AndsAnds Posts: 1,437
    I probably wouldn't add jam to a smoothie but just dusted down my cookbook and opened up the smoothie section. Some of the recipes add wheatgerm (e.g. 2 tablespoons) for extra protein.

    Don't Special K bars/nutrigrain contain jam and heaps of sugar anyway?
  • hopper1hopper1 Posts: 4,708
    Ands wrote:
    Don't Special K bars/nutrigrain contain jam and heaps of sugar anyway?
    :shock: :shock: :shock:

    First day home, and you've destroyed my 'healthy' snack habbit! :evil:

    There is a lot of sugar, 34%, by way of carbs (read off the NutriGrain Elevenses box), only 0.9% sat fats, though.
    In all honesty, if you're excercising a lot, you can allow a little naughtiness in your diet.
    But, you MUST get the food in, quicker than you are at present... Whilst your metabolism is still doing 90mph.

    I find a bowl of porridge, made with water is a great snack after my shower.
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • Kippers and Eggs on toast with a nice cup of tea.
  • sampras38sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    Depends on how hard you've been training. Post rides I'll have a recovery drink for the first 20 mins or so, followed by a quality meal of carbs and protiens anytime from 1 to 2 hours afterwards. After turbo sessions I'll tend to just take on fluids, particularly if the session is no longer than an hour.
  • sampras38sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    Bhima wrote:
    The type of session doesn't really need different foods, in my experience. Then again, I eat a LOT, so probably cover most situations well.

    Hydration is the first thing you should do.

    A load of natural yoghurt thinned out with water/milk and liquidized with fruit will give you a lot of protein and some electrolytes.

    A big mouthful of honey will sort out your glycogen needs. It will also slow down water absorbtion if you have too much though, so if you blend it in to the above drink at a concentration of less than 8%, you should be ok.

    Jam is a good substitute, especially in a yoghurt drink, but honey is a good mix of Glucose and Fructose, whereas jam is usually Sucrose and a bit of Fructose.

    I usually blend up 800g of yoghurt, ~150ml milk/water, a banana, a pear + a big dollop of honey/jam and drink over an hour.

    Hands up who thinks Bhima goes over the top?

    0/

    ;-)
  • BhimaBhima Posts: 2,145
    Read my first sentence - I eat a LOT! I ride hard nearly every day too though and am already at dangerously low body fat levels so my requirements seem ridiculous at first but i'm still losing weight despite having oversized meals and smoothies!
  • sampras38sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    Bhima wrote:
    Read my first sentence - I eat a LOT! I ride hard nearly every day too though and am already at dangerously low body fat levels so my requirements seem ridiculous at first but i'm still losing weight despite having oversized meals and smoothies!

    I did read it thanks..;-)

    How much of what you eat is protien?
  • I normally had a "For goodness shakes" immediately after a ride while I'm stretching - they're quite pricey, but very nice!

    And they have graphs and things on the side about how good they are, so they must be!
  • Gav888Gav888 Posts: 946
    Normally have a milk shake with a scoop of protein powder, works ok for me....
    Cycling never gets any easier, you just go faster - Greg LeMond
Sign In or Register to comment.