Richmond Park: Saturday Ride choices

Clever Pun
Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
edited January 2010 in Commuting chat
Is it still snowed under?

I'm toying with a couple of laps or a little surrey jaunt... if it's still carnage it makes my decision real easy

cheers
Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
Fixed Pista- FCN 5
Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14

Comments

• northstar
    northstar Posts: 407
    I passed in and out of there today and all the roads were clear, the off road paths are a different story, slushy ice.
    Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Clever Pun wrote:

I'm toying with a couple of laps or a little surrey jaunt... if it's still carnage it makes my decision real easy

cheers

Not sure about RP but I'd imagine a lot of the Surrey lanes will still be iffy, especially in the more shaded areas (going on experience after last years snow dump here). Christ knows what the state of the road surface out there will be like now, they were bad enough already...
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun wrote:

cheers

Not sure about RP but I'd imagine a lot of the Surrey lanes will still be iffy, especially in the more shaded areas (going on experience after last years snow dump here). Christ knows what the state of the road surface out there will be like now, they were bad enough already...

I was thinking about a loop along the A23-A25-A232 it's a simple ride and it's just a whisker shy of 40 miles, it's not that bad either

*looks at the weather forecast* maybe sunday instead
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • cambs
    cambs Posts: 235
    Went through this morning Kinsgton Gt - > Rmond -> Sheen and was ok, little bit crinkly under the tyres at the start on the smooth bit but that should be gone by now (esp given some of the forecast temps of up to 10C).

Local roads were ok too but residential ones can be slushy.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    cambs wrote:
    Went through this morning Kinsgton Gt - > Rmond -> Sheen and was ok, little bit crinkly under the tyres at the start on the smooth bit but that should be gone by now (esp given some of the forecast temps of up to 10C).

Local roads were ok too but residential ones can be slushy.

Cambs - why do you go out Sheen Gate instead of Roehampton? More mileage? :wink:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cambs
    Ah, think i'm mixing up my gates. I mean the priory lane one.

Did add an extra mile going the west-side of the park though, anything to get up the SC stats board. :wink:
  • cjcp
    cambs wrote:
    Ah, think i'm mixing up my gates. I mean the priory lane one.

Yep, same here.
    Did add an extra mile going the west-side of the park though, anything to get up the SC stats board. :wink:

Damn it! That's what I do.[/quote]
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cambs
    cjcp wrote:

Damn it! That's what I do.
    Fear not! all my potential is behind me now. I have no hope of matching your mileage without undergoing heart, lung and leg replacement surgery.
  • cjcp
    cambs wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Fear not! all my potential is behind me now. I have no hope of matching your mileage without undergoing heart, lung and leg replacement surgery.

:lol:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Clever Pun
    cambs wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

you mean putting CJ in for surgery right?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • cambs
    A swap would be ok, yeah.
  • cjcp
    Hang on - you live in Esher, don't you? That's miles away!
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cambs
    Yeah, but commuting the full distance five days a week i'd be a mess after about ... ohhh, 1 week.
  • Flasheart
    Flasheart Posts: 1,278
    Enlighten me please.
    Richmond Park ..is it BIG?
    I keep reading about it on here but I've never been there, in fact I have no idea where it is
    i see it mentioned on the roadie forums a lot
    Our local park is about the size of a soccer pitch (without the shiela's)
    The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle. ...Stapp’s Ironical Paradox Law
    FCN3
    http://img87.yfrog.com/img87/336/mycubeb.jpg
    http://lonelymiddlesomethingguy.blogspot.com/
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    Flasheart wrote:
    Enlighten me please.
    Richmond Park ..is it BIG?
    I keep reading about it on here but I've never been there, in fact I have no idea where it is
    i see it mentioned on the roadie forums a lot
    Our local park is about the size of a soccer pitch (without the shiela's)

its 6.9 miles around the outside loop
  • cambs
    Its about 7 miles around the circumference road and yes, popular with roadies and MTB-ers alike (there are roads and tracks).
    Nice terrain and wildlife, etc.

Over on the road forum is a message board for posting your best time for doing three circuits: i'm going to get round to do that this spring.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    cambs wrote:
    Over on the road forum is a message board for posting your best time for doing three circuits
    My current record for doing three circuits is just over three days...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • cjcp
    WARNING: There appears to be black, cr@ppy stuff on the surface. Not that you can see it while riding, but some Dynamos have complained of a tar-like substance ruining their kit and, after checking, my club bib shorts are also ruined by the same stuf following my ride there on Wednesday. So is the bathroom mat, which was washed with the bib shorts. Mrs CJ was unimpressed (not with me though, so no brownie points lost :) ).

So don't wear your good kit.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • il_principe
    cjcp wrote:
    WARNING: There appears to be black, cr@ppy stuff on the surface. Not that you can see it while riding, but some Dynamos have complained of a tar-like substance ruining their kit and, after checking, my club bib shorts are also ruined by the same stuf following my ride there on Wednesday. So is the bathroom mat, which was washed with the bib shorts. Mrs CJ was unimpressed (not with me though, so no brownie points lost :) ).

Fcuking wonderful, first they resurface the road with loose gravel, then they cover it in wet stick tar. WTF are they up to?
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    cjcp wrote:

Fcuking wonderful, first they resurface the road with loose gravel, then they cover it in wet stick tar. WTF are they up to?

Speed humps. Guarantee it.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • northstar
    northstar Posts: 407
    Speed humps. Guarantee it.

If true then it's the minority spoiling it for the rest whether they be drivers or cyclists.
    Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.
  • il_principe
    I really hope you're wrong DDD.
  • I really hope you're wrong DDD.

I don't think so, london dynamo and kingston wheelers, would I'm sure would know, they both have people on one of the boards/bodies of the park to the best of my knowledge.

I suspect it's just poor choices, rather than deliberate action.

we had TT's last year in the park etc. bikes clearly do have at least some friends there.
  • cjcp
    There was a sweeper in the Park this morning. Still needs a lot of sweeping though.

Doesn't look like they're preparing for speed humps. Looking at the surface, I can't work out where the heck the black stuff came from.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    cjcp wrote:
    There was a sweeper in the Park this morning. Still needs a lot of sweeping though.

Doesn't look like they're preparing for speed humps. Looking at the surface, I can't work out where the heck the black stuff came from.
    Me neither but my white overshoes are now speckled ;)
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • il_principe
    @CJ How was the surface? Black stuff gone yet? I'm hoping to get out at the weekend.
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    I was planning on doing 6 laps on saturday - should i avoid the park then?
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    JonGinge wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Me neither but my white overshoes are now speckled ;)

The stuff does come off with some degreaser and warm water. still a PITA though.

It almost looks like tar but i guess its probably diesel mixed with dust from the new surface
  • cjcp
    @CJ How was the surface? Black stuff gone yet? I'm hoping to get out at the weekend.

Surface isn't great up Sawyer's Hill - have to ride 1.5m out from the verge to avoid the gravel - and it's as lumpy as ever from Ham to Kingston Gates (watch for the sunken manhole cover! May be partially obscured by surface water).

Broomfield is ok if taken cautiously.

@Sewinman - don't cancel your ride for it. Just be prepared to get dirty. Wear some black gear, if you can.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Clever Pun
    Sewinman wrote:
    I was planning on doing 6 laps on saturday - should i avoid the park then?

come do an A25 lap....
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5