Trek 5.2 Madone... its arrived! UPDATED 04/03 FINISHED!

cyclingpunk
cyclingpunk Posts: 368
edited March 2010 in Your road bikes
Update Pic 04/03/10

Trek 5.2 F&F
Selle Italia Flite OR Kit Carbonio depending on what I fancy
FSA Stem
FSA Carbon
DA 7850 1380 Wheelset
Sram Red Shifters
SRAM Red Rear Der.
SRAM RED Front Der.
CNC Ultralight Brakeset
Jagwire cables
Microtex Buffed Bar Tape
Ultegra SL Crankset
Look Keo 2 Max Carbon
KMC X10 Ti N Chain
Pro Race 3
Conti Supersonic inner tube

Weight comes in at 6.78 kg.

4406466543_0b97e0c8ef_o.jpg

4406466697_1640475f5d_o.jpg

4406466799_06803daae3_o.jpg

4407233038_b1530eec0c_o.jpg

4376483473_bd5d0c6867_o.jpg

Wahoooo... after a pretty long and snowy wait my Trek 5.2 Madone frame and forks have arrived. I have never really been a Trek fan... too common IMO but when I sore this frame at virtually half the RRP I could not help but to snap it up. It looks a truly awesome frame and I know I can not afford Pinarella/De Rosa or Colnago any time soon so this will 'do for now'!!!

Can't wait to build it up. I need to buy some bearings for it as it needs internal ones to be installed. It does seem that the tool has not been supplied though so I will have to try and get hold of one.

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    28705d1249474228-my-new-straight-razor-stand-44789.-thread-completely-useless-without-images-1-.jpg
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    Did you actually read that he hasn't built it up yet?

What kind of use were you hoping to find for this thread?
  • cyclingpunk
    cyclingpunk Posts: 368
    edited January 2010
    Ok, here are a few snaps with a few bits on the frame to get an idea what it will look like. Will start building it properly this weekend but am going to take my time as I won't be using it for a while.

I just sore it under some direct lights and it has a pearlescent finish I had not noticed before... its kind of like green glittery flakes. Can not see it in the pics so will try and get some that show it up better close up.

4274487742_a899921f4f_b.jpg

4274489898_847071da9a.jpg

4274487032_f2a2d74429.jpg

4274491714_7a5273e7d0.jpg
  • EKIMIKE wrote:

Me? I was going to post some pics of the build as I go :?
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    EKIMIKE wrote:
    Did you actually read that he hasn't built it up yet?

The components of an unbuilt bike do not have a mysterious electromagnetic field surrounding them that prevents photography being taken.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Good wheel choice...
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE wrote:

Me? I was going to post some pics of the build as I go :?

No not you :? . I just thought it was a bit of a silly statement from redddraggon.

Don't see why you can't tell everyone you bike has arrived without posting pics of it.

If i got a Trek Madone I'd be pretty damn excited and probably post a thread saying it had arrived. Dunno why some people have to post massive pictures saying 'your thread is useless'.

Nice looking bike it is too. Bet you can't wait to ride it.
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Looks very nice - one word of warning though - use "sore" again incorrectly and I'll make damn-well sure that you are!!

(Sorry - I'm in checking mode at work and this one jumped out at me like a saw thumb!)
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • Ahh.. no worrys 8)

Yea I am really looking forward to it!!! Unfortunatly I was at work when it arrived so the excitment of 'the doorbell' was somewhat wasted on the wife.

Will post some more pics as I progress with the build. I have pretty much all the bits for it. Just need to order the bearings and the cablesets in and possibly some of those CNC brakes in Titanium... not sure they would go with the Ulegra SL/frame though.
  • EKIMIKE
    edited January 2010
    What's the rest of the buil list?

-Oops, we must haver posted at the same time.... Ultegra SL, that's gonna be such a 'pretty' (in a manly way of course) bike.
  • TommyEss wrote:
    Looks very nice - one word of warning though - use "sore" again incorrectly and I'll make damn-well sure that you are!!

(Sorry - I'm in checking mode at work and this one jumped out at me like a saw thumb!)

:lol: My brain has gone out the window to make way for the excitment!
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    That's perfectly understandable old chap!
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • EKIMIKE wrote:

Ultegra SL Group, Ultegra SL Padals, Selle Italia Flite or Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio saddles.. I will use the flite for longer rides, Fizik tape. Think that pretty much covers what the pics do not show. I am hoping to put Dura Ace group maybe in the summer if the price comes down a little. I do not need it but it looks great IMO :)
  • Very nice indeed.

The wheels & stem/bar combo are a nice alternative to the usual Bontrager equipment found so liberally on Treks. I ride a Madone myself & have always thought I was being disloyal if I replaced the Bonty components. Any other Madone riders out there who feel this way? Sorry, the ramblings of a troubled mind...
  • Lol... I do like some of the Bonty stuff. I just wanted to personalise and got the bars mainly for how they will (hopefully) ride. They do feel much nicer than the Ritchey WCS I have on my other bike. I guess if you are buying new bits just buy what is best for you, at least you should not see someone with an exact copy of your bike then 8)
  • relanium
    relanium Posts: 487
    I'm with "cyclingpunk" regarding personalizing a madone, you have to put your own mark onto a madone, ive already changed the bonty wheels, next is the brakeset to either "Planet X Ultra Light CNC Brake Calipers" or "KCNC CB1"...... I will keep some of the Bonty Components for a while :D
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    EKIMIKE wrote:

Ultegra SL Group, Ultegra SL Padals, Selle Italia Flite or Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio saddles.. I will use the flite for longer rides, Fizik tape. Think that pretty much covers what the pics do not show. I am hoping to put Dura Ace group maybe in the summer if the price comes down a little. I do not need it but it looks great IMO :)

Much flooding where you live?..... :wink:

Nice... I like the white frame
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • Thanks folks. I had ordered black bar tape but looking at the bike I have got to put white on really. Going to stick with a black flite for putting in lots of miles on and a white Carbonio for special occaisions. Was going to get a white flite too but the black one goes nice with the post going white to black and will need cleaning less often.

I am going to hold off on the CNC brakeset in the hope there will be some in red soon. I think it will look nice with the nipples I have :lol:
  • relanium
    relanium Posts: 487
    You could always invest in the "KCNC CB1 Red Road Brake Callipers" :)
  • Are they the ones that Planet x sell or different? I am waiting them for come back into stock. I think they should look pretty :)
  • Very nice! Bit pricey though so think I will wait for PX to get theirs back in stock. Am in no rush so do not mind waiting for them to get some more in.
  • Ok, I will be posting update pics in the next few days as I am near completion!

My thoughts from my first few rides are that I can feel the difference in weight from my Cayo. It climbs much better and when I get out the saddle it flys. I managed to get up one of the steeper hills round here with 3 gears left on the ring and that is something I found quite odd when I got to the top and realised! So very impressed with climbing and turn of speed. The other thing I wanted was more comfort and it really does deliver. I feel less beaten up on this but I did change to some FSA shallow drop carbon bars at the same time so this may have had something to do with it.

The paint looks bling in the sun as it has a pearlescent finish... mmmm glittery! 8)

Negatives.
    Unfortunatly I have a few negatives. The service I had from Evans was proper shite. The frame was not finished very well (a few red fibres under laquer, 2 chips through to the carbon, about 7 surfice chips, specks of someone else's green paint, scuff marks etc) After being ignored via web form and email I sent a letter. They phoned and said to send it back which I did not want to do as they had no more in stock and were going to just keep the frame and refund me. I asked if we could settle for some compensation and agreed to send detailed photos.

After a few hours mesisng about taking pics I sent them via email showing clearly the damage and marks. 2 days later I got another email saying to send the frame back. I explained the situation again and that I was away from home to which they responded they would collect the frame. I then gave up and finally began building!

So it has tarnished the experience somewhat but I will just stay clear of Evans in the future and next time I buy a frame I will go and check it over first instead of mail order.

My only other negative is with the frame itself. I can see how it arrived with marks as the laquer is very very thin. I dropped a rounded screw from approx 2cm and off came some varnish with the red paint/sticker below it.

More pics to come next week when I install my final add ons!
  • tigerben
    tigerben Posts: 233
    looking forward to seeing the pictures.

My 5.2 should hopefully be arriving next week (110 days and counting!) and I cannot wait. :D

Very pleased that you are enjoying the ride so far - although I took a deep breath when you got to paragraph headed the 'negatives' :shock: At least you can console yourself that you picked the frame up at a healthy discount.

btw i thought evans only sold trek in store and not online?
  • 110days?! Did you get a custom paint job?

It is a wicked machine... I was worried I would not notice the difference but I did so it justfied the expense on the first ride 8)

Yea they will sell frame and forks online! That is another argument I had with them when they phoned and said I could not have it :roll:

To be honest all I wanted was some sort of token gesture and maybe even a 'Sorry' but it is there loss. I bought all my other stuff elsewhere... little buggers.
  • tigerben
    tigerben Posts: 233
    Sadly i went for a custom plain blue finish :(
  • At least it was not green as I have a lot of someone elses green paint!

I heard they had been pretty slow but man that is a painfull wait. Hope it comes through in 100% condition mate.
  • ... nearly finished, not many upgrades left but I am sure more will follow!

4376483473_bd5d0c6867_o.jpg

Weight comes in at 6.78 kg.
  • Very nice bike.Clean lines with some very nice touches.Top quality wheels and fancy anodised brakes.I like it. 8)
  • I just want some half decent weather so I can get out on the thing! Grrr.