GC
    71st, 1.15 down

ALLEZ ARTHUR!
    "Difficult, difficult, lemon difficult"
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,663
    afx237vi wrote:
    PauloBets wrote:
    why don't we support the riders who ride best and win? I don't understand the logic of the support obscure man

Because it's boring?

One of my favourite riders is Stephane Augé. He hardly ever wins anything, but he always attacks and works hard. Cycling is about so much more than the winners.

+1.

And guys like this Vichot are barely making minimum wage and work their ars*s off but are rarely seen on TV or other media.

+2..
    BUT. does anybody actually know what this whole "minimum wage" thing is? Just how much (or little I suppose) does a domestique earn?

And who here would trade places in a flash?

Free bikes, free massage, free medical care... and still get paid something to ride a bike.

Hmm.. apart from the whole thing about your whereabouts every second of the day, what's not to like about this job???
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • To my memory it is 40000 Euro – Think I read that in MC’s book
  • pomtarr
    pomtarr Posts: 318
    BUT. does anybody actually know what this whole "minimum wage" thing is? Just how much (or little I suppose) does a domestique earn?
    This from the UCI regs:
    ARTICLE 3 - Salary
    1. The Rider shall have the right to gross annual pay of ....
    This pay may not be less than the higher of the two following amounts:
    a) The legal minimum wage of the country of the nationality of the UCI ProTeam as defined
    under article 2.15.051 of the regulations;
    b) € 30,000 (€ 24,000 for a new professional).
    http://www.uci.ch/Modules/BUILTIN/getObject.asp?MenuId=MTkzNg&ObjTypeCode=FILE&type=FILE&id=34028&LangId=1
    He's a new pro this year so he'll be on a minimum of EUR 24k which is approx GBP 21k, plus any shared prize money.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,663
    pomtarr wrote:
    This from the UCI regs:
    ARTICLE 3 - Salary
    a) The legal minimum wage of the country of the nationality of the UCI ProTeam as defined
    http://www.uci.ch/Modules/BUILTIN/getObject.asp?MenuId=MTkzNg&ObjTypeCode=FILE&type=FILE&id=34028&LangId=1
    He's a new pro this year so he'll be on a minimum of EUR 24k which is approx GBP 21k, plus any shared prize money.

You're kidding! Is THAT all??

Sheesh, I take it all back. 40k Euro is perhaps passable for a young bloke, given the "benefits" associated, but 24K? The windscreen squeegee guys at your local traffic intersection make that much!
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    It was funny driving up the KOM climb (aka Hill) today in Stage 2 of the TDU.

There were stacks and stacks of Vichot messages painted on the road. Several referring to the 'Arthur Vichot Fanclub'.

I'm hoping to interview Wes Sulzberger tomorrow. My first question will have to be, Does he know why he is so popular in Australia?
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    pomtarr wrote:
    This from the UCI regs:
    ARTICLE 3 - Salary

You're kidding! Is THAT all??

Sheesh, I take it all back. 40k Euro is perhaps passable for a young bloke, given the "benefits" associated, but 24K? The windscreen squeegee guys at your local traffic intersection make that much!

Err.......

£21K in the UK is about average of what most new graduates get in their first job, so I can't see that it's that bad for a neopro.

I don't think it's bad at all.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • pomtarr
    SpaceJunk wrote:
    There were stacks and stacks of Vichot messages painted on the road. Several referring to the 'Arthur Vichot Fanclub'.
    Class!
    SpaceJunk wrote:
    I'm hoping to interview Wes Sulzberger tomorrow. My first question will have to be, Does he know why he is so popular in Australia?
    Please let us know what he says mate.
  • Trev36
    Trev36 Posts: 92
    From cyclingnews live updates (stage 3).
    #
    13:10 CST

Arthur Vichot seems to be getting some love from the fans today, I've had many e-mails about him today.

and
    #
    13:19 CST

Since there's so much demand, a bit of background for those not in the know: Vichot is a French neo-professional with the Francaise des Jeux ProTour squad. He may just be 21 years old but has had some pretty good rides in the French races. He won a Circuit de Saône-et-Loire stage last year and also the Tour du Haut-Berry. A year earlier he won Tour du Charolais, a GP Tell stage and the Under 23 Circuit des 2 Provinces - Le Pertre.

He's just sitting in the peloton today, but I hear there's going to be a fan club out and about for him tomorrow so perhaps he'll honour their efforts then?
  • pomtarr
    ***SPOILER ALERT***

Stage 3
    64th across the line / 55s down

GC
    Up to 64th / 2m 09s down

Young Rider Classification
    15th

ALLEZ ARTHUR!
  • I'll take Albert Timmer thank you very much... he is already a regular feature of my scribblings.

http://road.cc/content/blog/11117-you-h ... -confirmed
  • pomtarr
    ***SPOILER ALERT***

Stage 4
    90th across the line / 1m 17s down

GC
    Slips 2 places to 66th / 3m 36s down

Young Rider Classification
    Stays 15th

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/facebook-starts-vichot-mania-at-tour-down-under
  • pomtarr
    Check out Vichot's name on Willunga Hill! It looked like this:

VICHOT
    VICHOT
    VICHOT
    VICHOT
    VICHOT
    VICHOT
    VICHOT
    VICHOT
    VICHOT
    VICHOT

:lol:

10mins into the highlights package.
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    21853_264394069522_199515474522_3052842_4647385_n.jpg
    21853_264397194522_199515474522_3052866_2138464_n.jpg
  • lucybears
    lucybears Posts: 366
    ALLEZ ARTHUR!

Triunfo de Vichot en la 2ª de la París-Correze
    Arthur Vichot (Française des Jeux) ha ganado la segunda etapa de la París-Corrèze (2.1), por delante de Jonathan Hivert (Saur-Sojasun) y su compañero de equipo Gianni Meersman. Mickael Buffaz (Cofidis) es el vencedor final.

http://www.biciciclismo.com/cas/site/no ... p?id=29150

http://www.youtube.com/user/worldcyclin ... A509sBYUps
    interview.cyclingfever.com
  • pomtarr
    According to http://www.cyclingstartlists.com he's about to start his debut GT.

ALLEZ ARTHUR A LA VUELTA! :D
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Ooooooh, I love this- made the TDU interesting.

Right, must remember to pick Arthur for a stage in PTP
  • What was this about doing the same for ToB? I think it's a great idea!
  • Tusher
    Oh yes, there was. I remember now.
    I wonder if anything has come of it, or should we just pick someone ourselves and start a ball rolling?
  • Let's just pick someone! Or maybe we should all just support Jonny Bellis majorly?
  • Tusher
    No hesitation- it has to be Jonny Bellis.
  • Jonny Bellis it is! Now to get everyone else to agree?
  • Tusher
    Shall we start another thread?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Jonny Bellis it is! Now to get everyone else to agree?

Hang on. Isn't the idea to pick someone obscure who wouldn't normally expect to get any support? Surely Bellis will get plenty of support.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Tusher
    Of course he will, Richard, but he deserves overwhelming support.

Now, be a good soul and start a thread 'Support Bellis in the ToB' should suffice.

I would do so myself, but people will assume it's some whimsy if they see my name in the first post.

Oh, and what other fori (? I can never remember the Latin plural for forum) should we infiltrate?
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Top 10 finish in some exalted company for Arthur in stage 3 of La Vuelta. Maybe he's not destined for obscurity all his career?
  • pomtarr
    Good lad. He's no slouch that Vichot y'know - not bad for a neo-pro.
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Pity FdJ aren't in the Tour of Britain with him. Yeah go Arthur.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • lucybears
    lucybears Posts: 366
    Last year's Tour Down Under saw fans pick an obscure rider and give him the support normally reserved for a star, chanting his name and daubing paint all over the roads. It was FDJ's Arthur Vichot, a neo-pro who went on to have a half-decent season. As Arthur Vichot is not be taking part in this years TDU, "Allez Arthur" will be replaced with "Venga Angel", in recognition of Angel Madrazo, the Movistar rider with the nickname 'El Gorrión de Cazoña' (The Sparrow of Cazoña).
    interview.cyclingfever.com