Operation: Support Obscure TDU Pro

pomtarr
pomtarr Posts: 318
edited January 2011 in Pro race
Check this out from Port Adelaide Cycling Club's forum:

http://www.pacc.org.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2337

:lol:
Here's the plan.

We pick an obscure European pro rider who is doing the TDU. Someone who no one has heard of before, will probably not get a Tour de France spot, and is making minimum wage fetching bottles for his team leader. Preferably non english speaking.

We all make an effort to cheer him like crazy, every time we can see him during the TDU. We can even work out how to cheer him on in his native language.

Result: Obscure pro wonders where the heck this mysterious fanbase has come from, and is confused but delighted.

They chose no. 107. VICHOT Arthur FRA

Riding for Francaise Des Jeux.

They're talking about painting his name on the road, mobbing him outside the hotel, sending gifts to his room etc!

SPREAD THE WORD - here's his facebook: http://www.facebook.com/search/?q=arthur+vichot&init=quick#/pages/Arthur-VICHOT/199515474522?ref=search&sid=553339184.2421485044..1
"Difficult, difficult, lemon difficult"

Comments

• pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    :lol::lol:

t'internet is a very powerfull thing. His fan club has good base.
  • I like
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    dave milne wrote:
    I like

+1

This is an excellent idea
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Poor old Arthur Vichot. He probably thought his career was going quite well until he saw the whole "obscure pro", "probably not get a TdF spot" "bottle carrier" thing. :wink:
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • It would make a good project for schoolkids, I think.

Many adults will remember his uncle, Frederick Vichot.
  • LangerDan wrote:
    Poor old Arthur Vichot. He probably thought his career was going quite well until he saw the whole "obscure pro", "probably not get a TdF spot" "bottle carrier" thing. :wink:

I was thinking the same thing!
  • lucybears
    lucybears Posts: 366
    interview.cyclingfever.com
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    It's like the Belgian film, "Le Velo de Ghislain Lambert" where the hero outshines Merckx simply because he's an unknown, he struggles to finish each day and is a more normal rider.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    lucybears wrote:

LOL, that is pretty cool. Hope he gets into a break in the next couple of days or something.
  • northernneil
    northernneil Posts: 1,549
    genius!

I am fully on board
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Great idea - this should be done for the Tour of Britain too.
  • pomtarr
    94th in the Cancer Council race - a solid performance there from Vichot. 8)
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    afx237vi wrote:
    lucybears wrote:

LOL, that is pretty cool. Hope he gets into a break in the next couple of days or something.

Breaks? We haven't had one of those here since 2007. Don't hold your breath :)
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    cougie wrote:
    Great idea - this should be done for the Tour of Britain too.

It pretty much did last year but Thomas de Ghent(sp?) sorted it out for himself :wink:
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Great idea, but the kid's actually one of the hottest young properties in French cycling (it's all relative, I know).
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Great idea, but the kid's actually one of the hottest young properties in French cycling (it's all relative, I know).

So this is all an elaborate plot (funded by Lance,obviously) to destabilise upcoming French cycling talent by destroying their self-belief?
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • pomtarr
    LangerDan wrote:
    So this is all an elaborate plot (funded by Lance,obviously) to destabilise upcoming French cycling talent by destroying their self-belief?

If it is a conspiracy it's doomed to failure. This comes straight from the horse's mouth via facebook (albeit badly translated by google):

"a few days rest and after we go for the 1st race Pro Tour: The Tour Down Under! Thank you to Australians fan"

....and this can only boost Arthur's self belief, surely:

17343_423036725262_753320262_10749284_5557935_n.jpg
  • PauloBets
    PauloBets Posts: 108
    why don't we support the riders who ride best and win? I don't understand the logic of the support obscure man
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    PauloBets wrote:
    why don't we support the riders who ride best and win? I don't understand the logic of the support obscure man

Because it's boring?

One of my favourite riders is Stephane Augé. He hardly ever wins anything, but he always attacks and works hard. Cycling is about so much more than the winners.
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    afx237vi wrote:
    PauloBets wrote:

Because it's boring?

One of my favourite riders is Stephane Augé. He hardly ever wins anything, but he always attacks and works hard. Cycling is about so much more than the winners.

Correct.

I LOVE Tankink. He's always up for a chat or an inteview (depending on whether you're a fan or journalist). Good natured guy, and no pushover. Works hard, does stuff that rarely gets him on TV (beyond the intervews!).

Hard not to like.
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    afx237vi wrote:
    PauloBets wrote:

Because it's boring?

+1.

And guys like this Vichot are barely making minimum wage and work their ars*s off but are rarely seen on TV or other media.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    PauloBets wrote:

I bet you're a chelsea or MUFC supporter too
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    Support the obscure rider because cycling isn't just about the team leaders and winners, it's about every single other sod who rides his guts out to get them there - and rides at a level that most of us can only dream of anyway.

Just hope Vichot doesn't think he's being stalked and get paranoid :wink:
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Does anyone know if he knows the reason why he suddenly has a huge Australian fan club?
    Overall, I think it's a charming idea. Maybe it'll catch on in other races.
  • PauloBets wrote:

...Oh ear Paulo, Oh dear
    They actually have T shirts being printed now too which a few of us in Brissy would like to get our hands on, "What would Arthur do?"
    If I cant eat it or hump it, Im not picking it up
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    PauloBets wrote:

Because it's more interesting? Because it shows that we follow the sport as a whole, not just one or two superstars? Because at the end of the day, these guys are true heroes who give up a lot for cycling and often get very little in return...
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • lucybears
    lucybears Posts: 366
    Tusher wrote:
    Does anyone know if he knows the reason why he suddenly has a huge Australian fan club?

read the link in the first post of the thread
    Just hope Vichot doesn't think he's being stalked and get paranoid

a fine 22nd today ! Allez Vichot !
    interview.cyclingfever.com
  • Love this whats a beat his calling his parents to make sure there are no distant relations that he should know of
    Take care of the luxuries and the necessites will take care of themselves.
  • Tusher
    lucybears wrote:
    Tusher wrote:

read the link in the first post of the thread

Oh dear, I phrased that badly. I meant 'Does anyone know if he knows the reason'
    but I've just visited his Facebook page and there's a link to the original thread in Oz, so obviously he does. And he's taking it in the spirit intended.

If I could remember my Facebook password, I'd send him a 'Allez Arthur' message as well.
  • Tusher
    And I can't do quote boxes properly either.