705, 500 or CPU?.......

Comments

• BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    chrisw12 wrote:
    My view (and this really is going to be a debatable topic) is having np and tss while you ride is a waste of time and for me would be a negative.
    Yes, but you're a tester. Normalised power isn't very interesting to a tester - by definition. It has a lot more relevance to someone whose purpose in life is a bit more interesting than riding at one pace.

Ruth
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Here's my 2p:

705 advantages:
    - fully customisable display
    - backlight makes display easier/possible to read in poor light conditions
    - does mapping, route finding, tea making pretty well :wink:
    - big memory capacity so you don't have to download and clear memory after every rider BUT I've found that you get more file corruptions if you don't keep memory cleared on a weekly basis

705 disadvantages:
    - data issues seem pretty stable now I'm running firmware 2.9, but still get the odd file corruption (as above). Still get the odd occasion where the unit just switches off for no apparent reason.
    - pretty bulky / more likely to get damaged in a race crash
    - will not display a raw torque value from the hub so you cannot do a "stomp test" on your Powertap to verify the power calibration
    - have found that HRM interference from “flapping jersey syndrome” can make heart rate data useless, but then probably not an issue if you are using power on all your rides
    - mounting bracket is pretty flimsy and has been known to break on rough rides (not by me though)

Garmin 500 - no personal experience but seems main advantage over 705 are smaller unit size and slightly cheaper with better mounting bracket. Obviously doesn't do mapping or tea making. Otherwise, as per the 705, some data issues have been reported on the Wattage forum but seems firmware upgrades have sorted issues.
    Great review on the 500 here:
    http://dcrainmaker.blogspot.com/2009/11 ... eview.html

Powertap Computer – again no personal experience, so PT users please feel free to correct me –
    Advantages seem to be
    - very stable data handling and storage
    - allows verification of torque reading from the hub
    - small unit size

Disadvantages
    - display pretty small and no backlight. Not customisable.
    - small memory so rides have to be downloaded and cleared regularly
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Pokerface wrote:
    I can't use WKO+ - so a head unit that shows things like NP and TSS would be a bonus (even if only viewing them after the ride).

Unless someone can recommend some analytical software that shows these things that runs on a MAC?

I just read through this on another post, mate.
    liversedge wrote:
    lloydy75 wrote:
    I've tried this on my MacBook a few times and it always crashes, wonder if the new version is any better?

Ya! that was my impression too when I got into Golden Cheetah, if you haven't looked for a while it is definitely worth another go. There has been quite a blitz on those kind of bugs over the last few months.

I'd say wait till 1.3 comes out and give it a go!
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • hopper1
    Bronzie, cheers for your twopenneth.
    Much appreciated.
    I have a wired PT computer, which is slightly customisable, as I can choose from a selection of readouts. Not great, though... :wink:
  • chrisw12
    chrisw12 Posts: 1,246
    hopper1 wrote:
    Much appreciated.
    I have a wired PT computer, which is slightly customisable, as I can choose from a selection of readouts. Not great, though... :wink:

Customisable but do you find yourself changing from av power to current power and wishing you could see them both at the same time?

or

wishing you could see cadence and time at the same time?

If you do, then get a garmin.
  • hopper1
    chrisw12 wrote:
    hopper1 wrote:
    Much appreciated.

Customisable but do you find yourself changing from av power to current power and wishing you could see them both at the same time?

or

wishing you could see cadence and time at the same time?

If you do, then get a garmin.

Actually, no...
    I thought the idea was to train with power (use av.), not by power, using current!
    I decide on a route and using av. power, I ride it. I like to maintain a steady cadence so watch that.
    Maybe I should flick a coin between a 705 or Joule! :wink:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Another advantage of the Garmin is if you ride another bike (such as MTB) or one you don't use your PT on (like my racing bike) you can use it with HR.

Also, the Garmin will be easier to sell on when upgraditis strikes.
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Bronzie wrote:
    Powertap Computer – again no personal experience, so PT users please feel free to correct me –
    Advantages seem to be
    - very stable data handling and storage

No, it has dropouts too, all units have drop outs of various types, the ANT+ protocol is not a reliable one - one of the things to remember is that the downloading software actually masks the drop outs in other head units.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • hopper1
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Another advantage of the Garmin is if you ride another bike (such as MTB) or one you don't use your PT on (like my racing bike) you can use it with HR.

Also, the Garmin will be easier to sell on when upgraditis strikes.

Back to the original dilemma.... Which bloody one to choose! :roll:
    You're right, Alex, I have several bikes, and Garmin would simplify things.
    If there weren't so many Garmin models, it would be even more simple! :evil:

So: 705 or 500, 705 or 500, 705 or 500, 705 or 500, 705 or 500, 705 or 500, 705 or 500, 705 or 500, 705 or 500, 705 or 500, 705 or 500, 705 or 500, 705 or 500, 705 or 500, 705 or 500, 705 or 500, 705 or 500, 705 or 500, 705 or 500, 705 or 500, 705 or 500, 705 or 500, 705 or 500, 705 or 500, 705 or 500, 705 or 500, 705 or 500, 705 or 500, 705 or 500, 705 or 500, 705 or 500..... Oh, I don't fcukin' know... :cry:
  • Anonymous
  • 705, mapping is a bonus.
  • hopper1
    Ok.... I'll get a 705 tonight, when I can get to my card details! :wink:
    Much thanks to all those who made a contribution. :D
  • If you aren't bothered about maps, a 500 is smaller though. A 500 would be good for a TT bike
  • hopper1
    TornadoTom wrote:
    If you aren't bothered about maps, a 500 is smaller though. A 500 would be good for a TT bike

Ha! ha! ha!.... You're at it, ain't ya?
    May use maps in future?....
  • Could just get both
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    And if you run as well then there's always the Forerunner 310xt. There's a QR bike mount that doesn't use the wrist strap so it looks like a proper bike computer. ANT+ and all that. It is smaller than the 500 though - you can only display up to 4 data fields at a time, but you can scroll through up to 4 (customizable) screens.

Only problem at the moment is there's no options to display 3s, 5s, 10s, etc. power averages, but hopefully that feature will be included in a (near) future software release.

I got mine for £240 including HR and GSC10 sensor.
    More problems but still living....
  • hopper1
    TornadoTom wrote:
    Could just get both

Why stop at two? Maybe worth taking a punt on the Joules, too...

I work in an oilfield.... Not own one! :wink:
  • rokkala
    rokkala Posts: 649
    Just be aware that the link for the £230 Garmin 705 is without the cadence option.

£297 for that.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Joule.
  • Anonymous
    Rokkala wrote:
    Just be aware that the link for the £230 Garmin 705 is without the cadence option.

£297 for that.

You get cadence with the powertap so it's irrelevant...
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Rokkala wrote:

£297 for that.

And is actually pretty accurate or at least it compares very well with the data I get from my Polar CS600. You get spikes in the raw data but to be honest you never see them because of the way it is averaged anyway.
  • Anonymous
    doyler78 wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Rokkala wrote:

£297 for that.

And is actually pretty accurate or at least it compares very well with the data I get from my Polar CS600. You get spikes in the raw data but to be honest you never see them because of the way it is averaged anyway.

I used to have the PT cadence sensor wired up but I tried it without, using the hub and found it was spot on anyway, so disconnected it...
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    hopper1 wrote:

I buy so many shiny bits off the internet I know mine off by heart :oops:
  • hopper1
    APIII wrote:
    hopper1 wrote:

I buy so many shiny bits off the internet I know mine off by heart :oops:

I used to, but just changed the card! :roll:
  • rokkala
    NapoleonD wrote:
    doyler78 wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Rokkala wrote:

£297 for that.

I used to have the PT cadence sensor wired up but I tried it without, using the hub and found it was spot on anyway, so disconnected it...

Nice one, didn't know that was an option!
  • hopper1
    Ok, that's it.... Bought the 705 with HRM from Foot Steps.

Just got to get off here, now.
    Quite looking forward to using the Virtual Partner. I often lose my way (in my head) and lapse in concentration, but I gather with my Virtual Buddie, I'll have someone to chase during my ride, once I've done the ride once, so I can set it up.

Starting to get excited over a ponced up cycle compooter! :shock: Wrong.... So wrong... :oops:
  • hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    Was thinking of getting the 500 but now tempted by the 705 at Foot Steps. I notice the one at Foot Steps doesn't come with cadence. Can I buy the cadence monitor separately as an upgrade or is the 705 the monitors cadence a different model?
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    hugo15 wrote:
    Was thinking of getting the 500 but now tempted by the 705 at Foot Steps. I notice the one at Foot Steps doesn't come with cadence. Can I buy the cadence monitor separately as an upgrade or is the 705 the monitors cadence a different model?

Yes you can just buy the sensor seperately.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • hopper1
    Buy seperate for £30-£40.
    Or buy the 705 bundle here.
    There's very good deals on the 500 at Handtec, too. They've dropped in price in the last couple of hours :shock:
  • rokkala
    hopper1 wrote:
    Ok, that's it.... Bought the 705 with HRM from Foot Steps.

Just got to get off here, now.
    Quite looking forward to using the Virtual Partner. I often lose my way (in my head) and lapse in concentration, but I gather with my Virtual Buddie, I'll have someone to chase during my ride, once I've done the ride once, so I can set it up.

Starting to get excited over a ponced up cycle compooter! :shock: Wrong.... So wrong... :oops:

I read on the 500 u can also setup a course, then when you ride it each time you can race against yourself from previous efforts. What does the Virtual Buddie do other than that?