Converting wired Powertaps to wireless / ANT+?????????????

Kirky
Kirky Posts: 459
edited December 2010 in Training, fitness and health
Might be a bit of a random question - and I wasn't sure what forum to put it in (so have put it in here and in 'workshop' - not sure if the coach's / those in the know read all the different forums!!).

But is there any sort of adaptor to convert a Powertap wired rear hub into a wireless ANT+ system to run with a Garmin etc??

I'm assuming it's do-able (although I'm no electronics wizz!!) where you'd have the wired pick-up by the hub, which then converts to a wireless signal and transmits via ANT+. You'd still need the pick up on the rear stay - but no wires.

Any idea if this has ever been done?? And if not, any electronics wizz out there that can do it?? I'd think there would be a MASSIVE market for this, as it would bring all of the older / wired Powertap hubs back up-to-date for use with the latest head units / Garmins etc.

If anyone does want to try it - can I have a cheap / free unit to test out, as I came up with the idea Smile

KIRKY
Las Vegas Institute of Sport

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    More problems but still living....
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    According to slowtwitch the cost of that upgrade was just about the same as the cost of a new unit, certainly wasn't worth it compared to the cost selling the wired - good second hand market, and buying new.

The hardware involved in doing it is relatively cheap - the same hardware as GoldenEmbed could do it, but writing the software to sniff the data coming off the wires to be able to transmit convert it into ANT messages would likely cost more time and effort than it's worth. It's certainly doable though. It's more a software/data analysis/hacking task likely than an electronics one though.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    jibberjim wrote:
    According to slowtwitch the cost of that upgrade was just about the same as the cost of a new unit, certainly wasn't worth it compared to the cost selling the wired - good second hand market, and buying new.

The hardware involved in doing it is relatively cheap - the same hardware as GoldenEmbed could do it, but writing the software to sniff the data coming off the wires to be able to transmit convert it into ANT messages would likely cost more time and effort than it's worth. It's certainly doable though. It's more a software/data analysis/hacking task likely than an electronics one though.

Why so bloody expensive?
    After reading the 'news' on cyclepowermeters.com, I was hoping to convert my 'old' wired Pwertap to wireless, thus having a winter Powertap, too. :wink:
    Didn't realise it was going to cost an alarm and a leg, though...
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • Kirky
    Kirky Posts: 459
    Thanks for the info guys - much appreciated.

I'll get hold of CPM and see what the cost is etc (hopper1 - did you get a cost back from them??). Still doesn't seem like a simple way to do it to me, I think my idea would work better - but like jibberjim wrote it'll be the software side of things that makes it hard to sort out. But once done, it'll be a universal system for all wired powertaps and one that the user can fit themselves (as it will be a zip tie job onto the rear stay!!).

Going to look into this further, I reckon it's worth some time and effort :-)

KIRKY
    Las Vegas Institute of Sport
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Kirky wrote:
    Thanks for the info guys - much appreciated.

I'll get hold of CPM and see what the cost is etc (hopper1 - did you get a cost back from them??). Still doesn't seem like a simple way to do it to me, I think my idea would work better - but like jibberjim wrote it'll be the software side of things that makes it hard to sort out. But once done, it'll be a universal system for all wired powertaps and one that the user can fit themselves (as it will be a zip tie job onto the rear stay!!).

KIRKY

I have had no response to two emails, so far!
    If you get a quote, post it here, mate.
    If I get another Powertap, I'll go elsewhere...
    Can't be a*sed with CPM, if they wont respond!
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • jibberjim
    Kirky wrote:
    Still doesn't seem like a simple way to do it to me, I think my idea would work better - but like jibberjim wrote it'll be the software side of things that makes it hard to sort out. But once done, it'll be a universal system for all wired powertaps and one that the user can fit themselves (as it will be a zip tie job onto the rear stay!!).

I'm pretty sure you could do it, as I said - <a href="http://chomsky.shampoo.ca/goldenembed/">Golden Embed</a> has all the hardware you need, and the programming tasks are broadly similar, but knowing the comms protocol on the wires is the problem.
  • Karl2010
    Karl2010 Posts: 511
    Im guessing the reason for the high cost of conversion, is that the ANT+ technology will have to be LICENCED.

The licence fee for the ANT+ probaly whacks the price right up.
  • jibberjim
    Karl2010 wrote:
    Im guessing the reason for the high cost of conversion, is that the ANT+ technology will have to be LICENCED.

The licence fee for the ANT+ probaly whacks the price right up.

The ANT+ licence fee disappears shortly, so it's not much of a problem.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    I think NapD converted his. Hopefully he'll be along shortly to divulge the cost....
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    He did.

It was 320 quid, came back fully serviced with a new freehub too.

However, Karl really has pulled this one from the depths of the forum!
  • I presume it didn't come with a new computer? Do they sell a ant+ computer at a discount price when you get the upgrade by any chance?
  • I presume it didn't come with a new computer? Do they sell a ant+ computer at a discount price when you get the upgrade by any chance?

Was it worth it do you think? What computer are you using?

i like the idea of a garmin 500.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    It was very much worth it!

I use a Garmin 705, I like the mapping/navigation...
  • Karl2010
    Karl2010 Posts: 511
    I pulled this post up from searching google. Was researching Wired > Wireless upgrade.

so Nap where do you get this done?
  • I just asked paligap about this, it's do able but costs£420 with no headset
  • jonmack
    jonmack Posts: 522
    I think I read that Nap got his done at http://www.cyclepowermeters.com/, but don't quote me on that.