Rollers

jeff.hobby
jeff.hobby Posts: 7
I've just bought a set of Tacx rollers. Thought I'd benefit from a bit of extra winter training with the addition of balance and to make a change from my turbo trainer. Been on it a few times and it seems to be slowly getting easier, at least till after about 10 minutes into a session in my garage, I was getting rather hot so decided to remove my hat. Slowly and very gingerly took one hand off the bars and pulled my hat off but started a wobble. In my haste to grab the bars again, dropped my hat which fell onto the roller belt jambing it and promptly threw me off. So, at least I've learnt one lesson - Hats don't go well with rollers!

But, as anyone got any tips to help progress as quickly as possible and to get the most out of it, including any training programs better suited to rollers rather than turbos, or are they the same program for either?

Comments

• Welcome to the world of roller training! I managed to puncture when I reached for a bottle, the front wheel fell forward and landed vertically to the front roller.

It's a case of practice, there is no "quick way to master them." You said yourself things are getting easier, all be it slowly. As for training sessions, I generally use it for a 40minute spin, up and down the gears, always maintaining a high cadence. The main reason for buying one was to improve my balance and pedaling efficiency, not to bust my guts on them.
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    I have a set of Tacx antares rollers, which I use in preference to a turbo. My sessions are usually 40-45 mins, comprising:

10 min warm up
    5 mins tempo
    20/25 mins of intervals (sprints or longer efforts, depending on the session)
    5/10 min warm down

I usually have Radio 1 playing in the background, which is a good way of increasing the suffering... ;)
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    Welcome to the world of rollers

I swerved to miss the cat walking in front of me :oops:

one of my sessions is:
    warm up
    slowley build up to about 85% hr max for 5 mins
    75% for 2 mins
    back up to 85%..........................

I do this 4 times.

I got this from a cycling + mag a couple of months ago. It didn't say 85% but Lactic threshold heartrate which I think for me is about 85% hr max

definatley not radio 1 I'd rather go down to the gym :lol:
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    softlad wrote:
    I have a set of Tacx antares rollers, which I use in preference to a turbo. My sessions are usually 40-45 mins, comprising:

10 min warm up
    5 mins tempo
    20/25 mins of intervals (sprints or longer efforts, depending on the session)
    5/10 min warm down

I usually have Radio 1 playing in the background, which is a good way of increasing the suffering... ;)

I usually have Radio 1 playing in the background, which is a good way of increasing the suffering

i assume that ,because the quicker you pedal ,the less you can hear of it.
    :D
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • softlad
    sub55 wrote:
    i assume that ,because the quicker you pedal ,the less you can hear of it.
    :D

aye - it drowns out the songs I don't like - which is most of them. But 2 mins per song is a long time to stay at 97%... ;)
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    Rollers are great fun.
    It makes you appreciate how good the track riders are when you see them warming up on them while signing autographs and taking off jerseys.

I got to the stage when I could watch a movie while riding rollers. I liked to practice high cadence efforts on them (good for balance and cadence practice) and to do longer rides on them. I found it a lot easier to grind out the hours on rollers than a turbo.
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • freddy2
    freddy2 Posts: 30
    Have been using rollers in the recent weather and it takes time but once used to them they are fun. I'd rather be out on the road but will use them for a work out and to improve techniques. Any tips on training to help technique? Any benefit in trying to cycle with no hands?
  • Brindy
    Brindy Posts: 45
    with most high intensity efforts most people dont do enough of a warm up so you end wasting the first 2 efforts just warming up and getting the muscles going.
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    freddy2 wrote:
    Any benefit in trying to cycle with no hands?

Yes. Improved bike-specific core strength. Enough of it and your bike handling skills on the road when riding no-handed will improve. Try riding on the drops and then removing your hands slowly, trying to keep your body in the same position. Easier on the road, but a nightmare on rollers. It'll help you hold the position for longer.
  • softlad
    freddy2 wrote:

on rollers..? The only 'benefit' would probably be an extended stay in hospital....
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    freddy2 wrote:

Any improvement of your balance is a big help on the road. The most noticeable will be at low speed on the hills. When others are wobbling around you will gain the balance to just hold the bike for a second or so before powering past.
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • flanners1
    flanners1 Posts: 916
    or get a MTB, off road helps oodles for bike handling and control...just ask Floyd Landis!
    Colnago C60 SRAM eTap, Colnago C40, Milani 107E, BMC Pro Machine, Trek Madone, Viner Gladius,
    Bizango 29er