Anti-cycling Facebook page gains 32,000 fans

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited January 2010 in Commuting chat
The page, set up two months ago, includes a picture of a cyclist almost being hit by a car door and the lines "No matter how far to the left you are, you're taking up my road" and "My car is hard, and I am not slowing down!".

Full story here

Comments

• That's an Australian group, though. :roll:
  • Anonymous
    What's your point ?
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    What's YOUR point, M.Cole? Obviously this is a stupid, idiotic Facebook group full of stupid idiots. What are you suggesting we do about it? Sign up and abuse them? Start our own group saying that they smell?

We're quite capable of having pointless, bitchy slanging matches between ourselves - not sure it's very communtiy-minded to encourage some kind of battle. And it's not like we need to all post saying "gosh, that's just not on, bad show" - isn't that taken as read?
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    I can't join because facebook is blocked at work :(
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I'm glad bikeradar has taken this up.

Facebook has a responsibility not to encourage hatred especially when it relates to hurting people who are conducting their lives within the law. Cycling may be annoying to some, but fact is cycling on the road is a cyclists right.

The person who made the group is sick. The fact Facebook has allowed it to exist is equally as sick.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Cyclists should pay road tax.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • My point is that different countries have different attitudes. I think it's a little misleading reporting it in the way you have, "32,000 people on Facebook have joined a group saying they hate you" sounds a little different to "32,000 Australians hate cyclists".

There may well be a Dutch pro-cycling group with just as many members, but you wouldn't report that as, "32,000 people on Facebook think you're ace!". No, you'd say, "Look how great the Dutch are".

I find the reporting of this selective, devisive and border-line Daily Mail.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Greg T wrote:

And wear helmets, don't forget the helmets :D
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • biondino wrote:
    What's YOUR point, M.Cole? Obviously this is a stupid, idiotic Facebook group full of stupid idiots. What are you suggesting we do about it? Sign up and abuse them? Start our own group saying that they smell?

There has been success in the past in getting these sort of groups shut down:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/commuting/foru ... t=12667409

I think that's the point.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,376
    itboffin wrote:
    Greg T wrote:

And wear helmets, don't forget the helmets :D

These Lycra Louts don't even pay VAT on the helmets
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266

Makes my blood boil it does.

I was only shouting at my wife yesterday about this
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • biondino wrote:

That one was Australian too. Spotting a pattern?
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    biondino wrote:

That'd be cool if it happens - thanks for letting me know.
  • Anonymous
    OldSkoolKona - thanks, nail on head.
  • DonDaddyD
    Greg T wrote:

Not only that but they all go commando. In my car when I'm trying to do 45mph in a 30mph zone the last thing I want to see is some lycra lout spider-man wannabe's butt cheeks poised high and spread wide. It distracts me from holding the phone to my ear or typing the text message I want to send.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    It distracts me from holding the phone to my ear or typing the text message I want to send.

I misread that to start with and was well impressed you could type text messages with your ear. :oops:
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    It distracts me from holding the phone to my ear or typing the text message I want to send.

I misread that to start with and was well impressed you could type text messages with your ear. :oops:

you haven't seen his ears...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • DonDaddyD wrote:

you haven't seen his ears...

some say he has supersonic ear sight...
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    If cyclists started paying "Road Tax" would that mean that we owned the road? Cos no-one else pays "Road Tax" it would be all ours :wink:

Now, to decide who we allow to share it. M/cycles? nah. Busses? nah, nah. Oh the possiblities! Our time has returned!
    The older I get the faster I was
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Given how often I drive me car (1-5 times a month) I'm guessing I owe most of these roads
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    Greg T wrote:

The feckers don't pay any insurance either.

This made me so angry the other day I smashed my wife's hand in the car boot door.
  • I ran one of the lycra louts over the other day as I was overtaking a lorry on a blind bend through double solid white lines bu it was all his fault because he didn't even have a bell on his bike to ring and warn me of his presence on my road.

they're a danger to themselves with that sort of reckless behaviour
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,127
    I ran one of the lycra louts over the other day as I was overtaking a lorry on a blind bend through double solid white lines bu it was all his fault because he didn't even have a bell on his bike to ring and warn me of his presence on my road.

Just glad you are ok - are you going to instruct the lawers to attack?
  • matthew h wrote:
    I ran one of the lycra louts over the other day as I was overtaking a lorry on a blind bend through double solid white lines bu it was all his fault because he didn't even have a bell on his bike to ring and warn me of his presence on my road.

Just glad you are ok - are you going to instruct the lawers to attack?

of course I am! The inconsiderate fool scratched my paintwork as he bounced across it. oh for the good old days of bull bars, I could collect 5 or 6 of these vermin; that have made so little of their lives that they can't even afford bus fare let alone a civilised means of transport; without so much as a stonechip

I blame the namby pamby political correct spin obsessed nanny government we have nowadays, This would never have happened under Margaret Thatcher, this country has gone to rack and ruin. If we were run by Mussolini instead of Comrade Brown these people wouldn't need to be on my road on their stupid toys because all the trains would be running on time and they could use them. Bah.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,376
    Greg T wrote:

She probably had her ipod on and couldn't hear you

Zombie

Buy an electric car and knock her down, she won't even hear you coming

That'll learn her
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

• There has been success in the past in getting these sort of groups shut down:

There is one a lot worse! I've been trying to get this one shut down for ages, but I don't know why it's not happening. I reported 4 groups, they shut down 2.

Though the administrators seem to have abandoned ship, and it has been hijacked by cyclists, the info of this group is a direct call for violence:

" For anyone that gets an unstoppable urge to push people off their bicycle whilst driving past them on the road. This is a wholly acceptable practice, and should be encouraged, especially where the victim is in professional cycling attire, or anything illuminous. If you have an implement to hit them with, or a stick to put in the spokes, the experience can be more enjoyable, we suggest a large inflatable banana or something of that nature, as anything more substantial could cause serious injury and take away from the comedy value of the actual fall. Failing that a piece of 2"x1" in the spokes is always a winner. Extra satisfaction can be gained if your road tax dodging victim falls into bramble bushes, lamp-posts, or best of all a bus shelter, preferably filled with other road tax dodging do-gooders. Happy pushing people, post news of your escapades and pictures of your good deeds for the rest of us to admire. Together we will defeat this scourge on our society, or at least have a right good laugh trying!".

If any of you wish to report it, it's called Intolerance for Cyclists Society:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/group.php?gid=16499362175&ref=search&sid=689964634.3172981019..1

And here is what happens when people behave like that:

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/3773561.Beckenham_cyclist_knocked_off_bike_still_suffering_a_year_on/

We have to be aware that sometimes, all that hatred expressed on a "harmless" Facebook group (or any other internet forum) can be transferred to the roads.

Take care out there.
  • colintrav
    colintrav Posts: 1,074
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Facebook has a responsibility not to encourage hatred especially when it relates to hurting people who are conducting their lives within the law. Cycling may be annoying to some, but fact is cycling on the road is a cyclists right.

The person who made the group is sick. The fact Facebook has allowed it to exist is equally as sick.

Ever heard the term sense of humour afterall Aussie's are all related to thieving jippos's that the Uk shipped outhere many moons ago

Afterall it's the biggest open air nick in the world ..
  • DonDaddyD
    colintrav wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Ever heard the term sense of humour afterall Aussie's are all related to thieving jippos's that the Uk shipped outhere many moons ago

Afterall it's the biggest open air nick in the world ..

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. Do you think what the group is advocating is funny?
    Food Chain number = 4

• teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100

There is one a lot worse! I've been trying to get this one shut down for ages, but I don't know why it's not happening. I reported 4 groups, they shut down 2.

Though the administrators seem to have abandoned ship, and it has been hijacked by cyclists, the info of this group is a direct call for violence:

" For anyone that gets an unstoppable urge to push people off their bicycle whilst driving past them on the road. This is a wholly acceptable practice, and should be encouraged, especially where the victim is in professional cycling attire, or anything illuminous. If you have an implement to hit them with, or a stick to put in the spokes, the experience can be more enjoyable, we suggest a large inflatable banana or something of that nature, as anything more substantial could cause serious injury and take away from the comedy value of the actual fall. Failing that a piece of 2"x1" in the spokes is always a winner. Extra satisfaction can be gained if your road tax dodging victim falls into bramble bushes, lamp-posts, or best of all a bus shelter, preferably filled with other road tax dodging do-gooders. Happy pushing people, post news of your escapades and pictures of your good deeds for the rest of us to admire. Together we will defeat this scourge on our society, or at least have a right good laugh trying!".

If any of you wish to report it, it's called Intolerance for Cyclists Society:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/group.php?gid=16499362175&ref=search&sid=689964634.3172981019..1

And here is what happens when people behave like that:

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/3773561.Beckenham_cyclist_knocked_off_bike_still_suffering_a_year_on/

We have to be aware that sometimes, all that hatred expressed on a "harmless" Facebook group (or any other internet forum) can be transferred to the roads.

Take care out there.

Unfortunately, I have already fallen victim (literally) to that kind of thing. Guy leaned out of the car window to push me off. The first I knew of it I was heading towards the ground. They seemed to think it was hilarious. I had a hairline fracture in my pelvis.
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    I've reported this group and I will keep doing it until it is removed. If a lot of peole keep reporting the group FB may eventually get irritated enough to take notice.