Oxford/Brogues what shoes do you wear to work?

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited January 2010 in Commuting chat
Am I getting old.

I need a pair of shoes, back'in'da'day it was all about the loafers. Loafers under a pair of drainpipe D&G jeans and designer shirt to dance the night away in a club. A notch above chav, you could call me Barry...

So you can understand my utter shock at inding myself looking at oxfords and considering brogues with a large degree of seriousness.

Brogues are what my Grandad wears but in the back of my head I think they're sexy...

What's happening to me?
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Get a pair of Black Dr Marteen Shoes, they are the last shoes you will ever need. I have been wearing them since 1987 (not the same pair!) and would not do anything else.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    edited January 2010
    5/10s - my cycling shoes or DMs if I'm not on the bike

Brogues are not sexy - they are worn by retired brigadiers who wear tweed and smell faintly of dogs and urine
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Am I getting old.

I need a pair of shoes, back'in'da'day it was all about the loafers. Loafers under a pair of drainpipe D&G jeans and designer shirt to dance the night away in a club. A notch above chav, you could call me Barry...

So you can understand my utter shock at inding myself looking at oxfords and considering brogues with a large degree of seriousness.

Brogues are what my Grandad wears but in the back of my head I think they're sexy...

What's happening to me?

http://www.jeffery-west.co.uk/

Nuff said.
  • For work...

shoes_iaec1091626.jpg

When I'm needing to be dapper, I have a pair of vintage, full-leather Oxfords.
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    A 'barry' :lol:

There is still a tribe over in East London who wear loafers. They have to be gucci and have the buckle on them. You normally see them in the summer in Charlton/Blackheath/Greenwich/Bermondsey. The loafers go with a pair of navy bermuda shorts, pastel Ralf Lauren polo shirt, gold chain and sovereign ring and a admiral/slazenger/lacoste/benetton navy 3 button cardigan. This fashion has not changed for at least 15 years. West Ham and Millwall supporters.

I like a brogue. I buy Barker but aspire to Church's.
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    Am I getting old.

What's happening to me?

Nuff said.

You UTTER dandy.

I always knew it.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Brogues.

Massive Thick soled brogues.

14-26-photo2.jpg

Oxfords if you must.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Greg66 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Am I getting old.

What's happening to me?

Nuff said.

You UTTER dandy.

I always knew it.

There's only so many places the pointier-footed gentleman can shop, you know.
  • Greg T
    NGale wrote:

Cadet direct......

Set Faces to stunned......

• Sewinman
    Greg66 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Am I getting old.

What's happening to me?

Nuff said.

You UTTER dandy.

I always knew it.

Dandy = nice word for a Spiv.
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    I should get a picture of my brown-n-white brogues <3

I bought them for dancing but they turned out to be a little bit heavy/wide-heeled for it, so I just wear them occasionally when I want to be smart without being boring!
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Sewinman wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

You UTTER dandy.

I always knew it.

So who should I be taking offence at here, you or Greg? Or both of you feckers! :shock:

Funnily enough I'm related to the Church family, although not closely enough to get cheap shoes (unlike my Grandma), dammit.
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    Greg T wrote:
    NGale wrote:

Cadet direct......

Set Faces to stunned......

I don't buy my shoes from Cadet Direct. The parade shoes are supplied by the Sea Cadet Corps, thw Magnums are supplied by South Western Ambulance. Thus both come for free :D
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Are oxfords the ones like brogues but without the holes with a leather toe cap thingummy?

If so, those. Always used to wear loafers but I just decided they looked kick ass last spring. Still rock loafers with heans though.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Am I getting old.

What's happening to me?

Nuff said.

+1
  • a nice pair of grenson chelsea boots in black or brown, go with anything, jeans for down the pub but also dressy enough to wear with a suit

and buy quality ones and they last for ages, just replace the leather soles as and when required
    dont only ride a bike
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Mmmm grenson leather is lovely. Don't like any of the styles though, just not for me.

Today I'm rocking a very knackered pair of DCs, I love dress down fridays.

@ Sarajoy, I love two tone brogues, i really want some black and white ones, the wife thinks I'm mental.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Sewinman wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

You UTTER dandy.

I always knew it.

So who should I be taking offence at here, you or Greg? Or both of you feckers! :shock:

Funnily enough I'm related to the Church family, although not closely enough to get cheap shoes (unlike my Grandma), dammit.

Does your Grandma look nice in brogues? And a pipe, perhaps?

(and my meaning of dandy was not the same as that of young Sewinman the tuna-slayer. Not that you'd like my meaning, or even prefer it, you understand).
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Brown italian leather loafers, Converse all stars or very smeelly trainers.....depends on the day and meetings!

Although, I have been told off for flip/flops and bare foot before now.
  • Merrells
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • DonDaddyD
    I'm going to find a shop/shoe brand named after the maker who has a hyphen in his name like 'Alexander Seabourne-Mayfield' and that will be my shoe shop forever more.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    I'm going to find a shop/shoe brand named after the maker who has a hyphen in his name like Alexander Seabourne-Mayfield and that will be my shoe shop forever more.

Shoe-Zone? :lol:
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,376
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Am I getting old. ?

Yes

No doubt about it.

They do say the memory is the second thing to go.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12657847
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Greg T
    Marie-Curie Shop?

• biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Canny Jock wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Am I getting old.

What's happening to me?

Nuff said.

+1

+2. DDD, your instincts are spot on in this case. Get some totally stylish old-school footwear.

(I, for my sins, wear trainers to work, or, this week, heft Dunham walking boots)
  • DonDaddyD
    Greg T wrote:
    Marie-Curie Shop?

Is that some sort of curry house?
    Yes

No doubt about it.

They do say the memory is the second thing to go.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12657847

Sweet jesus, I wonder if i had sex today...

I recently bought a bike don't you know here's a picture since you haven't seen it yet

SNV31340.jpg
    Food Chain number = 4

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,376
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Sweet jesus, I wonder if i had sex today...

Well that's the third sign right there.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Sewinman
    That is like a picture that you would put on a dating website...I am both sporty and healthy but also bookish and well read. I live in a house with nice skirting boards and neutral decor.
  • Sewinman wrote:
    That is like a picture that you would put on a dating website...I am both sporty and healthy but also bookish and well read. I live in a house with nice skirting boards and neutral decor.

But my hoover hasn't worked since my last trip to casualty.... Wait... come baack!