The Role of Genetics in Endurance Cycling Performance

MatthewBulmer
MatthewBulmer Posts: 217
I'm pretty new to road cycling (2 years) having come into the sport from a powerlifting background. I'm very curious as to the role of genetics in one's performance as a cyclist.

As an amateur powerlifter it took me literally years of very hard training, good nutrition, etc, to even approach some respectable lifts. This was with the help of coaches and not just a 'tin pot' training programme I had copied from a magazine. As way of background, I'm of medium height and a pretty slender build (narrow ankles, wrists, hips, etc.) However, it was always a source of amazement and frustration to me that certain guys, having never conducted serious strength training before, could with as little as 9-12 months of training relatively easily bench/squat/deadlift 300/400/500 lbs. These guys shared 2 qualities. Firstly, they were naturally 'strong'. They had a thick build and large bones. Secondly, they had a tremendous ability to recover from very hard workouts and, hence, train more frequently (on a progressive basis) than others.

All this preamble leads me to ask the following questions:

1. Do genetic factors affect an individual's ability to perform as a road cyclist?

2. If so, which factors are they?

3. At what level do these factors come into play? For instance, I would imagine that the vast majority of people who use this forum either ride for enjoyment (sportives) or race at a pretty modest standard due to lack of time/quality coaching, etc. Even at this level, will some of the differences in performance between riders be attributable to genetic factors?

4. For those who start with a poor genetic hand of cards, what are the implications for road cycling training? As an example, to make strength gains as a powerlifter I found I had to train regularly, but relatively infrequently, with a low volume routine based almost entirely on the competition lifts. More genetically gifted lifters were able to train more frequently with higher volumes.

I would be interested to know people's opinions.

Comments

• jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    I'm pretty new to road cycling (2 years)

It's taken 2 years for you to realise that some people are 'born' to be quick?
    :wink:
    I recommend joining the G Boycott method of grit, determination and ueber dedication to rise to the 'top' if you aint got no 'natural' talent.
  • Infamous
    Infamous Posts: 1,130
    Genetics... the excuse of the bloke that doesn't train enough.
  • fidbod
    fidbod Posts: 317
    Infamous wrote:
    Genetics... the excuse of the bloke that doesn't train enough.

no so dear boy.

see http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20527421.700-is-getting-fit-easier-for-some-people.html
  • 1. Do genetic factors affect an individual's ability to perform as a road cyclist?
    Yes
    2. If so, which factors are they?
    There are lots, in fact all are genetically determined.

Some of the key ones are:
    - VO2max,
    - Our muscle fibre type composition,
    - mitochondrial makeup (inherited from our mums),
    - lactate threshold,
    - gross metabolic efficiency

Of those, the amount to which they are trainable varies. The primary one that dictates performance potential, lactate threshold, is the most trainable attribute. VO2 max less so. Efficiency almost not at all. Fibre type conversion does happen, but slowly over many years with enough volume of high quality training.
    3. At what level do these factors come into play? For instance, I would imagine that the vast majority of people who use this forum either ride for enjoyment (sportives) or race at a pretty modest standard due to lack of time/quality coaching, etc. Even at this level, will some of the differences in performance between riders be attributable to genetic factors?
    All levels and yes.
    4. For those who start with a poor genetic hand of cards, what are the implications for road cycling training? As an example, to make strength gains as a powerlifter I found I had to train regularly, but relatively infrequently, with a low volume routine based almost entirely on the competition lifts. More genetically gifted lifters were able to train more frequently with higher volumes.
    Your genetics will play a large part in determining what standard of racing you are capable of competing at.

Pithy Power Proverb: Pick your parents wisely
  • Coming from a power sport background you could possibly not be suited to endurance cycling, and may have to train harder for endurance than others, what is your sprint like?
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    edited January 2010
    It's like any sport. Genetics will play a part and some people are more gifted than others, but you still have to make the most of what you've been given. My background is pretty similar to the OP, whereas I originally came from a bodybuilding background, then moved back into tennis, played and still do occasionally, at a good club standard (just below County) and have been riding what you might call seriously with sportives etc for the last 18 months or so. In all 3 sports I've never been considered genetically gifted but have made the best of the tools I've been given. Got very close to entering my first bodybuilding show around 18 I also have small wrists and ankles but still managed to press around 340lb for reps at my peak. Now concentrating on the riding most of the time and getting better and better all the time. Already started getting golds in Sportives and done some tough riding around the alps in pretty good times. And the bulk of my riding is either alone, or the occasional club run once in a blue moon for group practice, or with 1 or 2 friends who have been riding years. Both say I'm quicker than them , both on the flat and climbing and they are 10 and 11 st, whereas I'm around 12st 3 or 4, having dropped from just over 15.
  • Coming from a power sport background you could possibly not be suited to endurance cycling, and may have to train harder for endurance than others, what is your sprint like?

Although my background is strength training, I wasn't genetically suited to it as you can see from my OP. I trained and competed not because I was gifted at it, but because I enjoyed doing it (mostly) and, on occasion, performed well. I guess many people find themselves in the same position with road cycling. My sprint is shocking, incidentally!
  • I also have small wrists and ankles but still managed to press around 340lb for reps at my peak.
    Good skills!
    Now concentrating on the riding most of the time and getting better and better all the time. Already started getting golds in Sportives and done some tough riding around the alps in pretty good times.
    Same here. I just wish I started cycling earlier rather than in my late 30s!
    You still have to make the most of what you've been given
    Couldn't agree more.
  • sampras38
    I also have small wrists and ankles but still managed to press around 340lb for reps at my peak.
    Good skills!
    Now concentrating on the riding most of the time and getting better and better all the time. Already started getting golds in Sportives and done some tough riding around the alps in pretty good times.
    Couldn't agree more.

The last 10 years or so has been tennis tennis tennis and whilst I do sometimes wonder how good I'd be on a bike if I'd spent that time riding, I certainly wouldn't change it. had a great time on the tennis court and still really love the sport. Been to Wimbledon god knows how many times and the French and US Open a few times too. The only thing I don't like about tennis is it's not an aerobic sport, so you get match fit but that's it.
  • sward29
    sward29 Posts: 205
    sampras38 wrote:
    I also have small wrists and ankles but still managed to press around 340lb for reps at my peak.
    Good skills!
    Couldn't agree more.

The last 10 years or so has been tennis tennis tennis and whilst I do sometimes wonder how good I'd be on a bike if I'd spent that time riding, I certainly wouldn't change it. had a great time on the tennis court and still really love the sport. Been to Wimbledon god knows how many times and the French and US Open a few times too. The only thing I don't like about tennis is it's not an aerobic sport, so you get match fit but that's it.

Tennis is still primarily aerobic. Read this, which explains that the ability to perform short, repeated efforts, is primarily driven by aerobic metabolism and not anerobic as many believe

http://freewebs.com/velodynamics2/LTtest.pdf
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    edited January 2010

Would I be a "better" cyclist if both my parents cycled a lot before I was born?

Or is this an oversimplification of the concept?

I notice that a lot of elite cyclists have cyclists as parents. Maybe they inherited something from them, or perhaps it was just that they got encouragement from a younger age than most people...
  • sampras38
    sward29 wrote:
    sampras38 wrote:
    Good skills!
    Couldn't agree more.

Tennis is still primarily aerobic. Read this, which explains that the ability to perform short, repeated efforts, is primarily driven by aerobic metabolism and not anerobic as many believe

http://freewebs.com/velodynamics2/LTtest.pdf

It is, but not in the true sense of the word. Too much stopping and starting, as in with all racket sports. And with all the walking around, sitting down, changing ends and serving, you can hardly call it true aerobic.
  • sampras38 wrote:
    The last 10 years or so has been tennis tennis tennis and whilst I do sometimes wonder how good I'd be on a bike if I'd spent that time riding, I certainly wouldn't change it. had a great time on the tennis court and still really love the sport.
    It's great that you still love the sport. Since I stopped powerlifting, I haven't touched a barbell for 2 years and I can't say that I miss it too much. And if it helps the ongoing 'Is weightlifting good for your cycling?' debate, I would imagine my squatting strength has fallen off the side of a cliff over the last 2 years; however, my ability to ride up hills quickly has radily improved.
  • sampras38
    sampras38 wrote:
    The last 10 years or so has been tennis tennis tennis and whilst I do sometimes wonder how good I'd be on a bike if I'd spent that time riding, I certainly wouldn't change it. had a great time on the tennis court and still really love the sport.
    It's great that you still love the sport. Since I stopped powerlifting, I haven't touched a barbell for 2 years and I can't say that I miss it too much. And if it helps the ongoing 'Is weightlifting good for your cycling?' debate, I would imagine my squatting strength has fallen off the side of a cliff over the last 2 years; however, my ability to ride up hills quickly has radily improved.

Yeah, I do, and watch as much as I can, but don't miss being on the court as much as I thought I would, especially as I've made good gains on the bike. I have a fairly addictive personality, especially when it comes to sport and have to do things 100% or not at all. It's just the way I am, and the amount of time I'm on the bike or turbo I just don't have time for it anymore. The club matches were quite a tie and took up your whole evening. Now I have 2 kids under 4 it just aint fair on the misses...;-)
  • Pithy Power Proverb: Pick your parents wisely
    Alex, I hoped you would reply to the thread. Without giving away your trade secrets, in very general terms (if that's possible) how would your coaching approach differ between someone with a genetcially low and someone with a genetially high VOMax competing in the same discipline. Would both programmes still focus on the most trainable part of the jigsaw (lactate threshold) or would the approaches be totally different. I know it's a very broad question; just interested in your observations.
  • Bhima wrote:

Would I be a "better" cyclist if both my parents cycled a lot before I was born?

I notice that a lot of elite cyclists have cyclists as parents. Maybe they inherited something from them, or perhaps it was just that they got encouragement from a younger age than most people...
    What you're talking about is nature vs nurture. Both of which are pretty significant. Having parents that cycled before you were born would only benefit you if they continued to cycled after you were born and got you into cycling as a result (assuming they didn't have a genetic advantage).
  • sampras38
    Bhima wrote:

What you're talking about is nature vs nurture. Both of which are pretty significant. Having parents that cycled before you were born would only benefit you if they continued to cycled after you were born and got you into cycling as a result (assuming they didn't have a genetic advantage).

Agree with this. My old man used to play tennis but I never saw him play, nor did he see me. So whilst we both had the interest it wasn't him that got me into it.
  • jacster
    jacster Posts: 177
    http://freewebs.com/velodynamics2/LTtest.pdf[/quote]

It is, but not in the true sense of the word. Too much stopping and starting, as in with all racket sports. And with all the walking around, sitting down, changing ends and serving, you can hardly call it true aerobic.[/quote]

Not sure what level of tennis you play but if you don't think it's aerobic you obviously can't be playing it right!
  • sampras38
    jacster wrote:

It is, but not in the true sense of the word. Too much stopping and starting, as in with all racket sports. And with all the walking around, sitting down, changing ends and serving, you can hardly call it true aerobic.[/quote]

Not sure what level of tennis you play but if you don't think it's aerobic you obviously can't be playing it right![/quote]

Well I've done pretty well then as I've played at county level on pretty much al surfaces and won a lot of matches over the years, some of which have gone past 4 hours. So yeah, I'd say I've been playing it right.

I mean come on...surely you can see there is a lot of stop starting in racket sports comparted to more traditional aerobic activity?

http://www.americanheart.org/presenter. ... er=3003065

Do you watch much tennis?
  • jacster
    jacster Posts: 177
    Yep, I watch loads of tennis (for my sins!) :lol:

You need a strong aerobic and anaerobic capacity.

Maybe that's what's held you back getting any further? :lol:
  • sampras38
    jacster wrote:
    Yep, I watch loads of tennis (for my sins!) :lol:

You need a strong aerobic and anaerobic capacity.

Maybe that's what's held you back getting any further? :lol:

I'll be honest and say my fitness has always been one of my strengths in my matches and don't think I've ever lost a match because I wasn't as fit as the other guy. Technical ability yeah, but not fitness. I'm a basliner so fitness is even more of a requirement.
    Alex, I hoped you would reply to the thread. Without giving away your trade secrets, in very general terms (if that's possible) how would your coaching approach differ between someone with a genetcially low and someone with a genetially high VOMax competing in the same discipline. Would both programmes still focus on the most trainable part of the jigsaw (lactate threshold) or would the approaches be totally different. I know it's a very broad question; just interested in your observations.
    Training is specific to an individual. Their VO2 max is one consideration in that puzzle. There are many others. VO2max is still trainable let's not forget, just not as much as LT. But the answer is: it depends.

But as a rule of thumb, for endurance cycling, if you focus on improving lactate threshold and work on elements that are specific to your target/goal, then that's a good approach.
    Training is specific to an individual. Their VO2 max is one consideration in that puzzle. There are many others. VO2max is still trainable let's not forget, just not as much as LT. But the answer is: it depends.

But as a rule of thumb, for endurance cycling, if you focus on improving lactate threshold and work on elements that are specific to your target/goal, then that's a good approach.
    Thanks Alex