How much does flu knock it out of you?

phreak
phreak Posts: 2,907
Like it seems most people I've had some of the flu going round and havn't really ridden at all this year yet. I've had a few stabs this week on the turbo and feel really week, a good 15-20 watts down on what I was pushing out before Christmas.

Is this a sign of the flu not being out of my system?

Comments

• julianwest
    julianwest Posts: 8
    edited June 2020
    -
  • phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    I had flu. Before it I was doing 300-310w an hour when fresh and motivated and about 320w for 20min intervals. I was careful about not pushing it too hard when trying to start again but was getting knackered at 240-260w. I thought it best to back off and now I'm feeling stronger in myself I am starting again gently. Basically 5-6min intervals to test how I feel and if feeling rough then back off again. Felt good this morning and managed a few so I figure I'm better now. Long story short - about three and a bit weeks.
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • phreak
    Oof. 3 weeks doesn't sound good. It's been a bad enough winter as it is.
  • milese
    milese Posts: 1,233
    I've had the flu and swine flu jabs now. Make you feel rubbish afterwards but hopefully will protect me!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I last had flu in 2000. 4-5 weeks before I could contemplate getting back on the bike, probably 2 months in all before I was completely back to normal.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Its funny how you see quotes from Pro riders explaining poor results as 'I had a touch of flu in the race'. If you have proper flu - you wont be upright - let alone riding.

Better to take your time than rush back in. Life isnt THAT short. Good luck with the recovery.
  • phreak
    It's probably not full on flu but I've had a bit of the shivers and all that. Not that bad now but still sniffling. Just surprised my performance was so far down on before.
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    if it was flu you couldnt crawl to the garage let alone attempt to ride.
  • phreak
    Well I couldn't when I first had it but that was on new years day. Far more mobile now, just off the pace with my riding.
  • There is a big difference between Flu and a Cold. You can get a temperature with a Cold, so that's not a guide to whether you have had Flu. I agree with others here, if you have Flu you won't be training for weeks, it's just that hard on your system.

I usually find the old 9 days rule for a cold (3 days coming, 3 days at worst, 3 days going) is accurate (assuming you don't pick a second cold in the meantime).

I usually start gentle training in the last three days of the 9. However, you need to be aware that training is depleting your immune system and therefore should be used accordingly. If I get a chest infection on top (which I often do) you need to add even more time. I find even days after the effects of the chest infection have passed that it has a big impact on my training ability (not that I had a lot to start with).

So with all that in mind, I usually reckon after a mild Cold, I'll be 2-3 weeks before I'm back performance wise before the Cold. Add a week for a medium Cold and another week for a real stinker.

Just my take, your mileage may and most likely will vary.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    No flu - but bad infection here. 2 weeks off so far. Infection almost gone, but somehow managed to pull the muscles in my back (probably from lying around recovering!). So can barely move!

Could be a while longer before training resumes. Not happy. :(

But my coach said it takes a good 6 weeks off to lose a significant amount of fitness. I hope that's true!
  • normanp
    normanp Posts: 279
    For me 6 weeks from first symptoms to back to feeling OK on the bike. Then a further month to get back the fitness lost! Could be age-related (I'm 57).