wrist
    frame
    forks
    wheel
    bottle cages
    mudguards
    computers
    and gear cables

it is becoming quite clear to me that I quite possibly have no mountain biking skills whatsoever.
    Bloody good fun though
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Broken my concentration a few times. :)
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • M1llh0use
    M1llh0use Posts: 863
    R2 D2 wrote:
    I have been mountain biking a little over a year and have broken:
    ribs
    wrist
    frame
    forks
    wheel
    bottle cages
    mudguards
    computers
    and gear cables

it is becoming quite clear to me that I quite possibly have no mountain biking skills whatsoever.
    Bloody good fun though

even more fun watching you do it!!! :lol:
    {insert smartarse comment here}
  • R2 D2
    R2 D2 Posts: 34
    I shall give you a demonstration on Saturday!
    Infact I was only explaing to somone today (who happened to be asking why I may be wearing shorts in this weather- non mtbrs don't understand) that having learnt to ice skate some years ago and now learnt to mountain bike (sort of) it's only right for me to now combine the skill sets - the result of which may be on display Saturday am. Would you mind bringing a first aid kit?
  • M1llh0use
    M1llh0use Posts: 863
    :lol::wink:
    {insert smartarse comment here}
  • brady10
    brady10 Posts: 195
    I think as said previously, i tend to break myself when i crash :oops: Went over my bars at the dh slopes in forest of dean, broke my wrist and bent my handlebars through at least 30 degrees :? And in reply to a earlier comment, i have had to replace a BB, but i think that was through rust damage, the noise it was making was horrible :(
    WOW really? Carbon Fibre Hubs?? Well how about chucking that kebab in the bin?
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    Most things, currently my brakes are broken on all bikes though...
  • richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    i cant belive how much people fall of there bikes, what do people do to fall of?

im not an idiot who will just have a go at a 10ft drop and not care about the aftermath but i am competative when riding and do push my bike to the limits a lot of the time, asp on fast trails and very rearly meet anyone faster out at trail centers ect, i dont mean to be big headed but im an adrenalin junkie/control freak, i love speed.

me and a mate are always racing around trails and regularly time our selves around certain trails ect but never come off aprt from the odd slip over when stopping or getting off bike, been close a few times but never actually fell in the 5-6yrs ive been serious about mtb'ing.

i think i would take somthing else up if i broke bones more than once every 10 yrs.
  • Thread8
    Thread8 Posts: 479
    Ive bent levers, snapped a set of bars, broken a mech, snapped god knows how many chains, sheared bolts and had a crank fall off :oops:

quite expensive overall, id rather not do it

someone needs to make invincible bikes :lol:
    Haro Thread 8
    Please help!

"It's like parkour, on a bike"
  • richg1979 wrote:
    i cant belive how much people fall of there bikes, what do people do to fall of?

im not an idiot who will just have a go at a 10ft drop

I'm a freerider, so 30ft stepdowns and 20ft drops at the local quarry send me off sometimes, also downhilling.

P.S. I'm not an idiot.
  • richg1979
    fair enough, freeriding is lairy and only takes a poor line off jump drop ect to be in the crap, but i take it alot of these reply's are from xc/trail riders too??
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Broke a saddle on the Kraken... Not actually killed any bits other than that since I got back into riding, did a spoke at fort william on the DH track but that doesn't really count, just rode on then fixed it when I got home.
    richg1979 wrote:

Pushing their abilities. Which for some of us is one of the big attractions of riding. If you always ride safely within your capabilities you'll very rarely fall off but I'd sooner walk.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Father Faff
    Father Faff Posts: 1,176
    Well I'm pretty XC but I do have minor falls fairly regularly. I think it's mainly because I get a little carried away sometimes as you do. You kinda think you are Gee Atherton but actually you are 50 and a bit overweight and not very skillful. But even quite minor offs have banana-ed a front wheel, broken a brake lever, broken spokes, broken a rear mech hanger, ripped off a saddle, busted my night light, broken a rib or two, and bent a brake rotor. Oh and made lots of holes in expensive cycle clothing.
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • richg1979 wrote:
    fair enough, freeriding is lairy and only takes a poor line off jump drop ect to be in the crap, but i take it alot of these reply's are from xc/trail riders too??

yes, but us more "extreme" riders do exist on these forums though, especially as i originally posted, with my screen name ^^^ you might have got an idea of the diversity of disciplines here and not posted such a generalised, derogatory comment, even if I am in the minority here.

Freeriding takes all the concentration of what you would say use in one hour-long ride, and crams it into the few seconds of a gnarly jump. Freeriding may not require as much fitness as XC, but in my opinion it needs so much more skill.
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    I kill rear mechs. they are all sh!t. fact.
  • richg1979
    richg1979 wrote:

yes, but us more "extreme" riders do exist on these forums though, especially as i originally posted, with my screen name ^^^ you might have got an idea of the diversity of disciplines here and not posted such a generalised, derogatory comment, even if I am in the minority here.

Freeriding takes all the concentration of what you would say use in one hour-long ride, and crams it into the few seconds of a gnarly jump. Freeriding may not require as much fitness as XC, but in my opinion it needs so much more skill.

ermmm :? yes as i said before freeriding is an exception, if you do big jumps and drops ect a you going to fall now and again.

ive never really been into FR as its seems a bit crap in the uk, where is there actually a good FR location, been to a few dh places like kinver and stile cop ect but never been anywhere and thought WOW.
    ive done a few bigish drops/jump around the local quarry ect but it just has no real intrest nothing like say a trip to whistler.
  • rhyko7
    rhyko7 Posts: 781
    on my two mtb's:
    outa that list the only thing i havent broken is my headset!
    my Juicy3 died-uselesss piece of crap design
    broke a shifter in a big crash with my knee
    i killed my spline BB cos they suck anyway
    broken two rear mechs-One due to bent hanger, other Lx broke from Fatigue
    wheels-i have to re-true wheels almost monthly, killed a formula hub-tyres-well they rip after a while-normally fix them tho

so to summerise im a bike wrecking machine

:roll:
    Dont look at it-ride it! they are tools not f*cking ornaments

my riding:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/rhyspect

Some of my Rides Data/maps:
    http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/Users/527337
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,097
    tends to be me :(
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    Brake levers and blades, but am hoping to rplace them soon, oh an punctures, it creeps up on me having self sealing tubes that when you remove the thorn from it deflates. So usually have three to five punctures to fix per tyre when I switch tyres for terrain/weather etc...
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • turpinr
    turpinr Posts: 255
    two wheels so far.one front one back
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    My left Femur, March 2008.
  • gpsBRM
    gpsBRM Posts: 123
    My collar bone, yesterday! Bike was fine, although only crashed cause the freewheel on my Inbred gave way.
  • gaz047
    gaz047 Posts: 601
    at gisburn forest my use carbon riser bars interacted with a tree at about 20mph resulting in a clean snap between the stem and my shifters. needless to say i have now gone back to alu easton bars. still finished the ride with 3/4 bars which was doable but sketchy (esp on the rollercoaster!!)
    carbon schmarbon!
    if it ain't rainin.....it ain't trainin
    Stick your 'rules' up your a%se
  • mikeage
    mikeage Posts: 150
    in around 14 years... Magura rim brake lever, Bomber Z1 steerer tube (saved a long walk by the headlock clamping it all together!) and numerous cheap FSA sq taper cranks, on the BMX nothing at all has broken despite some pretty harsh bails on trails! Built for life that thing!

Saying that I'm not a heavy guy and tend to err towards the side of strength rather than lightweight parts cos I do like nailing it through rocks and roots and off drops!
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    gaz047 wrote:
    at gisburn forest my use carbon riser bars interacted with a tree at about 20mph resulting in a clean snap between the stem and my shifters. needless to say i have now gone back to alu easton bars. still finished the ride with 3/4 bars which was doable but sketchy (esp on the rollercoaster!!)
    carbon schmarbon!

What makes you assume aluminium would have been fine? It bends and snaps too.
    Uncompromising extremist